P1000 Product Update - 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 PRODUCT UPDATE CAMPAIGN | Engine Balancer Driven Gear Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Honda usually catches stuff quickly and eliminates the issue. If yours is affected - since you haven't picked it up - your dealer has to advise you per the service bulletin/recall notice so that he can tear into it to check the shaft. If he fails to notify you prior to leaving the lot now that Honda has posted the recall, he would be in a bad spot with no leg to stand on. I would ask if it was affected due to the dealers having to tear into the main black to check the shaft. If it was one of the few, I would ask for another unit. You have a right to know if they tore into your block. However, we (at least I) were awaiting the dreaded first year model issue, and this appears to be it. From what I am hearing it is a very, very small number of units affected - and only the deluxe models (which you are getting I believe?).

Yep. I am getting the Deluxe, the one affected, of course.:rolleyes: One of the reasons I always research everything I am going to buy so I will know what problems I will have with mine.:(

I have a plan. I am going to call the dealer first thing when they open in the morning and ask them about the recall and if my unit is in the VIN range. If it is, I am going to tell them that I don't want it and put my name down on the next unicorn, I mean silver unit they get in that isn't in that VIN range.

So I might not be getting one tomorrow after all.:p

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Supposedly it was a machining issue where the locking pin that locks the gear in place is not machined properly. It won't lock the gear in place so only the bolt holds it.

I got this from someone on the FB post, so don't hold me to it's validity. Also, I would think they would catch that fairly quick off the production line if their NDI people were doing their jobs.

Based on my experience with Japanese OEM manufacturers and especially Japanese home island factories, they don't do much NDI. They don't believe in "inspecting quality in" they believe and push "build quality in" with their processes. They use tight processing controls and high quality manufacturing with sampling and capability studies rather than 100% inspection.

I would hazard a guess that 40 units is some multiple of the inspection frequency of that particular machining operation and they know that they had good parts before and good parts after that range so they think there may be a possibly process instability in that window of parts with a little fluff on both sides. So they want those inspected. The failure was that either their sampling rate is wrong for the capability of the process, someone wasn't measuring right or someone was pencil whipping the numbers.

They probably have a machining center with multiple parts being cut on the tombstone and one of them was a bad offset/not loaded correctly/bad tool or something and no one noticed it on the following station (or didn't report it).

I bet when they started getting some people with busted crank cases they analyzed the failure mode, tracked back the VINs, pulled the files for that operation and found an "oh crap".

I am glad it is a manufacturing error and not a design error. Manufacturing errors are MUCH easier to fix. Especially in a company with robust quality control systems like the Japanese OEMs.

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If its ONLY affecting the Deluxe models then it's most likely early VIN #'s the deluxes were made first. There is nothing different engine wise between all the models

So it would leave me to believe its from the first batches.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep. I am getting the Deluxe, the one affected, of course.:rolleyes: One of the reasons I always research everything I am going to buy so I will know what problems I will have with mine.:(

I have a plan. I am going to call the dealer first thing when they open in the morning and ask them about the recall and if my unit is in the VIN range. If it is, I am going to tell them that I don't want it and put my name down on the next unicorn, I mean silver unit they get in that isn't in that VIN range.

So I might not be getting one tomorrow after all.:p
Remember to call it a Maintenance Bulletin and not a recall. Honda hasn't issued a recall. If the dealer takes you literally they will look in the wrong place and not find anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Honda usually catches stuff quickly and eliminates the issue. If yours is affected - since you haven't picked it up - your dealer has to advise you per the service bulletin/recall notice so that he can tear into it to check the shaft. If he fails to notify you prior to leaving the lot now that Honda has posted the recall, he would be in a bad spot with no leg to stand on. I would ask if it was affected due to the dealers having to tear into the main black to check the shaft. If it was one of the few, I would ask for another unit. You have a right to know if they tore into your block. However, we (at least I) were awaiting the dreaded first year model issue, and this appears to be it. From what I am hearing it is a very, very small number of units affected - and only the deluxe models (which you are getting I believe?).
Honda normally doesn't require fires for the safety commission to step in. They do tend to look into things and react accordingly

Reactions: joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Lol! I was just like you last winter.:) But I was panicked over the clutch deal. Just have faith, close your eyes, fall back and know the club will be here to catch you.;)
Just out of curiosity how do you feel about your decision now @Stauvo :)

Reactions: Stauvo
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just out of curiosity how do you feel about your decision now @Stauvo :)

I'm glad you asked CP!:cool:

Now to make a long story short as you know of my little psychotic episode I went through last winter but after considerable thought I diagnosed myself with "O. R. S." also know as.... (Over Reaction Syndrome) and was exacerbated by light deprivation in the Northern Hemisphere.:D

I just love our P-10005. I credit this club for providing me with endless information as I was originally going to go with the 700-4 but when news broke of a new model with turf mode I was set to get it. I am currently waiting for a heat shield from @Bayouownbeer so I can stop some heat and work on some dust. All of the brands got totally dusted on our July 3rd ride. Had not rained for quite awhile. I want to get this Pioneer paid for so I can get a p-10003 with the full square flat dump bed then I will have 2 as we already have extra people that we want to have with when we ride. I think it will be an Orange one unless they come out with some new colors over the next 2 years. I cannot believe how sharp this thing turns or how nice it rides along with the smooth take off from a dead stop....a nice feature if you have 3/4 crushed rock for a driveway like myself. I have not had a single regret in 225 miles. I look at things like heat in cab or a rattle or squeak as Hmmmm " The guys on the club suggest this or that and It's up to me to get off my butt and try it.

That's how I feel about my decision CP:)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm sure glad you jumped! Sounds like you are pretty happy with your decision:)

Reactions: Stauvo and sharp
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So they are letting those affected know that there is a problem? Or are we on our own to figure it out and waste a bunch of time taking it to a dealer to check it out.

Reactions: Stauvo
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So they are letting those affected know that there is a problem? Or are we on our own to figure it out and waste a bunch of time taking it to a dealer to check it out.

I think they are sending out a letter to those affected. You should be able to call your dealer though and ask about your VIN if you are worried. I got mine last night and they said they checked the VIN number and it was not on the list.

O

Olson1000-5

Jun 1, 2016
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got my letter a few months back for this recall. I dropped my 1000-5 Delux last week at a local dealer. I have not heard anything from them, but when I dropped it off they told me that they have to open up the engine and take an image to send off to tech service. Tech service will make the call if a change is required.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
O

Olson1000-5

Jun 1, 2016
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I figure it was April - May 2016, as it was ordered from the factory by my dealer at the time of purchase. The UTV arrived at the dealer on May 17th. I cannot know for sure the date of MFGR as the dealer has my UTV and has had it for more than 2 weeks now due to this recall.

crazychris

crazychris

Oct 26, 2017
redfeild arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a used pioneer pk1-5 what process would I need to go thru so Honda knows I own the sxs now instead of the old owner. also does Honda recognize 2nd owners on clutch update or heat fix??

Reactions: HondaTech
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a used pioneer pk1-5 what process would I need to go thru so Honda knows I own the sxs now instead of the old owner. also does Honda recognize 2nd owners on clutch update or heat fix??
Typically OEM's will repair no matter the amount of owners.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

This product update campaign ended 7/31/17 and is no longer active. That's in the first post contents.

Reactions: Smitty335
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!