P1000 Solved - 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 Stalls when Slowing down from 35mph/Downshifting

aareed

aareed

Jul 5, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently purchased a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe with about 3000 miles on it. It has been stalling several times when riding and on trails. Seems to happen after it has been running for over 30 minutes and only on warmer days 85+. (I rode the same trails for four hours previously in cooler temps (60's) with absolutely no problem)

Originally noticed it when slowing to a stop, it would die. Turn the key off and immediately restarted. More recently I have noticed it riding on trails and seems to happen when I let off of the accelerator. There are no flashing codes on the dash that I have been able to determine, and I have let it sit for a minute before turning the key off then back on.

I replaced both fuel injector harnesses this past week, took it for a 30 minute slow drive (10 mph) and it ran fine. Then took it out on a back road and immediately started having problems. Running below 20mph it did fine. But as soon as I slow from 35-40 mph it dies, rolls to a stop, I can hear the transmission downshifting from 6 to 1 once it stops, and it will immediately restart.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Michigan!
Bad fuel, crap in the tank. Drain it and clean it good. Sounds like shes starving. Ethanol chitty fuel will rake havoc on these systems

also…your first post, we have an unwritten bible verse around here when you come on its called…

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN! ;)

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Another welcome from The Great Lakes State.

I agree with @Remington about it sounding like a fuel issue.

Also agree with him about.....pics or it didn't happen ;)

#NTC

aareed

aareed

Jul 5, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another welcome from The Great Lakes State.

I agree with @Remington about it sounding like a fuel issue.

Also agree with him about.....pics or it didn't happen ;)

#NTC
Oh it has happened, several times. . . Which Pic do you want to see? Dash? Me sitting stopped pounding my head against the steering wheel? Could be bad gas, been running Non-Ethanol, but could definitely be crap in the tank. Why would it die on deceleration though? I can run it 60+mph on a cool day fine, just happens when it is warm/hot out.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Oh it has happened, several times. . . Which Pic do you want to see? Dash? Me sitting stopped pounding my head against the steering wheel? Could be bad gas, been running Non-Ethanol, but could definitely be crap in the tank. Why would it die on deceleration though? I can run it 60+mph on a cool day fine, just happens when it is warm/hot out.
Check your spark arrestor

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I wanna see the pic of you banging your head on the steering wheel.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That would be awesome to see one of those pics!
But seriously…POIDH is just a pic of your machine! Working or not.
its a verification validation you see! ;) Lol

aareed

aareed

Jul 5, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took it out for a long slow ride again today for about 45 minutes, running about 15mph most of the time. ran fine, put it up on a road to check it . I started at the beginning checking to see if it would die/stall when slowing down from 45 (releasing the accelerator only). No problems at the beginning. Rode some trails for about 45 minutes averaging 15mph most of the time. Tried it again, first slowing from 30 down, no problem, then from 35 down, no problem, then 40 down and it died. I recorded this time and I see 2 short flashes of the check in engine light. First is immediately when it dies, then a delay and a second short flash. I apparently cannot upload a video so here are a couple of screen shots.

The first is right before it dies, going 43mph. The second is when it does, the H fades on the dash, temp drops to 1 bar and the speedometer reports incorrectly 28mph. After that the H returns Speedometer begins reporting correctly but temp still shows 1 bar.

I did clean the Spark arrester, the bottom was a little dirty (10% clogged), but should have had plenty of ventilation all around the sides which was clean.

IMG 2240

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I took it out for a long slow ride again today for about 45 minutes, running about 15mph most of the time. ran fine, put it up on a road to check it . I started at the beginning checking to see if it would die/stall when slowing down from 45 (releasing the accelerator only). No problems at the beginning. Rode some trails for about 45 minutes averaging 15mph most of the time. Tried it again, first slowing from 30 down, no problem, then from 35 down, no problem, then 40 down and it died. I recorded this time and I see 2 short flashes of the check in engine light. First is immediately when it dies, then a delay and a second short flash. I apparently cannot upload a video so here are a couple of screen shots.

The first is right before it dies, going 43mph. The second is when it does, the H fades on the dash, temp drops to 1 bar and the speedometer reports incorrectly 28mph. After that the H returns Speedometer begins reporting correctly but temp still shows 1 bar.

I did clean the Spark arrester, the bottom was a little dirty (10% clogged), but should have had plenty of ventilation all around the sides which was clean.

View attachment 285730
Upload the video to YouTube and share the link here.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Check your engine grounds! This beast loves full power, or it just lays down and dies. Tighten the 3 grounds on drivers side of engine around filters area. Tighten by hand with wrench, don't just wiggle. Did mine 3 years ago, no issues since!

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Not sure what you mean. There is nothing that wouldnt normally be there.
A lot of people cram tools, bags, ammo cans, etc in there. Was just curious if it was filled up with stuff and something might be retaining heat when you ran it harder. I agree with the others on the grounds if you haven't checked them.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Running below 20mph it did fine. But as soon as I slow from 35-40 mph it dies, rolls to a stop, I can hear the transmission downshifting from 6 to 1 once it stops, and it will immediately restart.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
Here is your problem. I've had similair problems with mine in the winter. This is what I had to do to mine and its been working since then. This doesn't cost you anything. Go to the back right side of the motor you'll see the Electric shift motor. Remove it take it apart and you'll find that the armature is black looking.Clean it up with some fine sandpaper . The brushes are mounted inside the black plastic housing so make sure that there moving freely . Putting it back together isn't that hard if you place the brushes over the armature first . Hold onto the shaft that sticks out and hold onto it pretty good so that you keep the brush holder and brushes from coming off the end. The magnetic force of the motor housing is going to want to pull the armature back into the motor housing. What happens is that the armature gets carboned up and the 5 volts that is used to activate the motor to turn can't overcome the build up of carbon. Try it and see what happens . Let me know if this works for you . It did fix my problem with mine.

Just adding this in for those who aren't sure what the electric shift motor does.

FYI The electric shift motor does the actual changing of the gears so . When the shift motor isn't working properly and your slowing down. and it doesn't downshift The computer get confused and and shuts down the motor . This is to prevent the motor from lugging.

Last edited:
aareed

aareed

Jul 5, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all the feedback, I have checked the Ground wires on the motor they are all tight, I will check the Electric Shift motor next.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Your description of symptoms sounds like your engine won't idle without stalling. I agree with others above. it's usually caused by old ethanol gasoline left in the tank, lines, and injectors.

I would try running a couple of bottles of Chevron Techron or premium Chevron gasoline which contains Techron through upir engine in prescribed amounts.

Techron can usually be found in auto parts stores such as Autozone or in Walmart.

aareed

aareed

Jul 5, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your description of symptoms sounds like your engine won't idle without stalling. I agree with others above. it's usually caused by old ethanol gasoline left in the tank, lines, and injectors.

I would try running a couple of bottles of Chevron Techron or premium Chevron gasoline which contains Techron through upir engine in prescribed amounts.

Techron can usually be found in auto parts stores such as Autozone or in Walmart.
No. Not at all. The engine runs and idles fine. Just stalls when slowing down from 35-45mph after the machine has been running for a while and on a warm day.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!