P1000 Solved - 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 Stalls when Slowing down from 35mph/Downshifting

A

AZ123

Sep 12, 2019
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I posted Stuck in first gear on the form search for that I had many problems similar
Probably need to replace the PCM/ECM
I believe once they over heat they trip/limp mode at a lower temperature each time or if the fuel injector wire harness shorted out before it may have trashed the PCM
Good luck trouble shooting

Reactions: Lady01
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
You're not supposed to move your shifter while moving. Full stop and idle.
Where is that written?

That applies to the sub-transmission because it uses straight-cut non-synchronized gears.

It can be done on any of dozens, perhaps 100 cars trucks I've owned or driven over the past 60+ years.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where is that written?

It's in your owners manual, and right there on your dash on a sticker to remind you.

Screenshot 20210729 154432

• Haha
Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I don't have the decal in the center of the dash. It was removed when my Inferno heater switch and ducts were installed on that flat panel. I'll have to go out and look at labels in the glove box.

Edit: Nope, no labels in the glove box either. I can't read the small print in the owners manual so I guess I'll have to take your word for that.

Edit 2: Could someone copy, enlarge, and paste that warning label here. I have macular degeneration and can't read small print.

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do as you want with your vehicle - are you shifting from High to Low while moving? That's done in your sub-transmission, and so is reverse. You can probably get away with going from high to neutral, but what's the point? I know one guy that blew out his reverse gear trying to bump it to neutral while cruising along, missed his shift and bam, need to replace reverse.

BTW, you can click on that label to see the full-size image, if you actually care to read it.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
That's what I was saying when I asked much earlier if your buggy would idle when shfited to N. There's no reason why the buggy can't be shifted from H to N while moving. That should disengage the clutches.

Of course I'm not shifting from H to L or L to H. The sub transmission, as I wrote earlier, has straight-cut gears. Everyone who has ever owned or driven a vehicle with a transfer case knows you can't shift the transfer case while moving.

aareed

aareed

Jul 5, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You went ahead and bought a new shift control motor? That's a couple hundred bucks, right? I would have tried cleaning mine up first. :oops:

Anyway, do you have a service manual? It looks pretty easy to get to if you remove the rear floor panel.
It was $80 for the motor. No I don't have a service manual. There is a center cover that exposes the top, but the rest seems to be surrounded by the frame.

aareed

aareed

Jul 5, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
UPDATE: I installed the replacement shift motor, and ran it at slow speed for about an hour today, then took it out on the road and tested it. I noticed immediately on slow speeds (10 mph) it seems to shift better, and on the open road it did not stall when slowing down from 45mph like it has in the past. The ambient outside temperature was in the upper 70's so I'm not sure 100% sure the issue is resolved, but I am hopeful that the shift motor may have been the problem. I will let you know when I can test it further at warmer temperatures.

Thanks for all your help on this!

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
UPDATE: I installed the replacement shift motor, and ran it at slow speed for about an hour today, then took it out on the road and tested it. I noticed immediately on slow speeds (10 mph) it seems to shift better, and on the open road it did not stall when slowing down from 45mph like it has in the past. The ambient outside temperature was in the upper 70's so I'm not sure 100% sure the issue is resolved, but I am hopeful that the shift motor may have been the problem. I will let you know when I can test it further at warmer temperatures.

Good luck.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada

Thanks for the update. I'm sure this will have resolved your issues. I've mentioned this clean up of the armature to others in different posts ,and once they did that or replaced the shift motor .Everyone has given a positive feedback that it fixed there problem. What I'am trying to do is to show others how cleaning or replacing the shift motor will get rid of the shifting down and stalling out problems. I'm no expert on stuff but I've dabbled in fixing stuff for years. What my take on this is that after about 6000 - 10000 klms or so the shift motor should be taken off and the armature cleaned up. It carbons up pretty badly by that time. My way of thinking is that the computer only sends 5 volts to it which isn't really enough voltage to burn the carbon off compared to , say what would happen if it was getting 12 supply. To me this is why it carbons up and creates all sorts of different [ usually down shift] problems. If this cure works and fixes the shifting issues in this time / mileage frame. This should be part of a maintaince schedule . ??? It's also to bad that there isn't a brushless motor to replace this one. Again my 2 cents , worth .

aareed

aareed

Jul 5, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Took it out again today seemed to run ok for a while. It stopped shifting and was over revving. I tried to manually shift with paddles but no luck. Stopped recorded codes flashing and tried to restart. Before I turned the key off it was flashing 57. Now when I start it Dies when I move from P to H or N to H. Currently flashing a 24 code. I tried unplugging the shift motor wires and reconnecting them but no change.
Currently stranded about 2 miles out.
There seems to be a way to manually put it into 2nd gear but I haven’t been able to find the procedure.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Took it out again today seemed to run ok for a while. It stopped shifting and was over revving. I tried to manually shift with paddles but no luck. Stopped recorded codes flashing and tried to restart. Before I turned the key off it was flashing 57. Now when I start it Dies when I move from P to H or N to H. Currently flashing a 24 code. I tried unplugging the shift motor wires and reconnecting them but no change.
Currently stranded about 2 miles out.
There seems to be a way to manually put it into 2nd gear but I haven’t been able to find the procedure.
You should have a small tool "tube" under your hood (at the front under a rubber strap). There's a wrench in there you can use to tighten up the valve and lock it in 2nd gear.

Hope that helps

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
When I saw the posting of the shift motor from Amazon I kinda shook my head. There are some parts I would trust getting from someone other than Honda. That isn't one of them, and wouldn't be surprised if its just a low mileage failure. Good luck.

aareed

aareed

Jul 5, 2021
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I checked the new shift motor and wiring. I found a problem with the connector where the connection on the harness was pulled out and not making contact. After fixing it. It seems to be running fine now.

25FBC91A E688 4C8E 9532 3554BEA6292A

C

Cpedigo81

Jul 5, 2021
Lafayette Tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check your engine grounds! This beast loves full power, or it just lays down and dies. Tighten the 3 grounds on drivers side of engine around filters area. Tighten by hand with wrench, don't just wiggle. Did mine 3 years ago, no issues since!
Anyone have a pic of the grounds? Just so I know what I’m looking for

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Thats what I like to hear. Same with mine since changing the shift motor in March mine has been working like it's supposed to. What we need to do is find a shift motor that is a brushless type..

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!