P500 2017 Pioneer 500 first impressions.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve had many (mostly Honda) ATVs in the past. Currently have a Sportsman 1000 Touring and a TRX700XX.

I’m an old guy and this is my first SxS. Wanted something to ride reasonably slowly in any weather with me and the misses. No worries about going too fast in this one.

I like being at one with the machine. My past Honda ATVs have pretty much got me there. This P5 doesn’t quite feel like the Honda quality I’ve come to expect. Although it does get the job done. Maybe I’m expecting too much at this price point.

My new P5 has a lot more going on than just of the sound of the thumper driving the wheels/tires. Gear on gear whirl is at a higher level than expected and there’s an annoying clanky rattle when the drive-line is unloaded. This lashing sound diminishes when in 4WD. I can't remember my old Foreman having such a obnoxious shift clunk. I understand CVT based SxSs are very noisy. So I’m probably being too picky. Never the less I’ve got to search for some acoustic damping mods. I'm thinking the roof and windshield capture and focus mechanical noise to the riders.

Nice exhaust note. May get a Silent Rider like I had on my old 420.

Power steering won't be missed on this guy. Near ATV-like turning radius.

I’m shorter than I used to be so the interior fits me well and is comfy.

Suspension is very harsh but getting slightly more compliant with run-in. Not good enough for a Honda.

Auto shift is nice. Smoother shifting than manual mode for the most part. The auto trans shift program has a interesting mode where at times the clutch engagement seems to have a relatively long pause after the gear has been selected. Maybe its just doing this during the break-in period. Can’t replicate this shifting behaviour in MT. Who knows how much thought went into programming the shifting brain.

Not looking forward to peeling back everything and the contortions involved for the first oil change.

Like anything new and different it takes time to adjust. I think the P5 has lots of potential to be what I envisioned. Maybe after a few mods I will be singing its praises.

Cheers,

Greg
Welcome to the club. Your p5 exhibits most of the little things I didn’t like about mine when I first got it home, trust me it will get better. The clunky drive train smooths out a little over time and the vibration noises will never all go away but do quiet down. Your roof and windshield do contribute some but not as much as you think. Mine always shifts smoother in manual than auto but it shifts better in auto once warmed up. Just a note, it’s not a cvt based transmission. I hated mine at first because of the shifting and had been through two cvt machines prior. I can tell you now after five months of ownership, I wouldn’t go back and don’t regret buying the p5 one bit. In the end it is a very reliable machine and gets around pretty well even with stock tires.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!