P500 2017 Pioneer 500 first impressions.

xinu

xinu

Jul 2, 2017
Eastern Ontario back country
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve had many (mostly Honda) ATVs in the past. Currently have a Sportsman 1000 Touring and a TRX700XX.

I’m an old guy and this is my first SxS. Wanted something to ride reasonably slowly in any weather with me and the misses. No worries about going too fast in this one.

I like being at one with the machine. My past Honda ATVs have pretty much got me there. This P5 doesn’t quite feel like the Honda quality I’ve come to expect. Although it does get the job done. Maybe I’m expecting too much at this price point.

My new P5 has a lot more going on than just of the sound of the thumper driving the wheels/tires. Gear on gear whirl is at a higher level than expected and there’s an annoying clanky rattle when the drive-line is unloaded. This lashing sound diminishes when in 4WD. I can't remember my old Foreman having such a obnoxious shift clunk. I understand CVT based SxSs are very noisy. So I’m probably being too picky. Never the less I’ve got to search for some acoustic damping mods. I'm thinking the roof and windshield capture and focus mechanical noise to the riders.

Nice exhaust note. May get a Silent Rider like I had on my old 420.

Power steering won't be missed on this guy. Near ATV-like turning radius.

I’m shorter than I used to be so the interior fits me well and is comfy.

Suspension is very harsh but getting slightly more compliant with run-in. Not good enough for a Honda.

Auto shift is nice. Smoother shifting than manual mode for the most part. The auto trans shift program has a interesting mode where at times the clutch engagement seems to have a relatively long pause after the gear has been selected. Maybe its just doing this during the break-in period. Can’t replicate this shifting behaviour in MT. Who knows how much thought went into programming the shifting brain.

Not looking forward to peeling back everything and the contortions involved for the first oil change.

Like anything new and different it takes time to adjust. I think the P5 has lots of potential to be what I envisioned. Maybe after a few mods I will be singing its praises.

Cheers,

Greg

D

Deleted member 3748

Some of the noise you hear will be gone after the first oil change. It will also seem like you got a new transmission too. Gear noise can be reduced by replacing differential fluids with something of higher quality. Engineering quality isn't an issue with the P5, though assembly could be better. Some people have found some things to be loose when they shouldn't. There is also a post in the forum about the clutch adjustment bolt giving someone a problem and beware of the oil filter cover bolts as they can break when over tightened. I haven't experienced any of these issues. You will also want to extend ALL of your vent lines above any potential water line and maybe a snorkel to reduce sand and dirt in the airbox.

The popular opinion of the P5... built like a tank and has all the torque you need to go anywhere.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
They are a lil noisy (mechanically) but they do seem to quiet down after a bit and mine did seem quieter all around after 2nd service and switching all lubes to full synthetic .
As for the ride , not much you can do other than remove the rear sway bar and run as low of air pressure as you can get by with like 6lbs .
Sound / heat barrier behind and below the seat quiets things down a good bit too .
Enjoy ! Welcome !

xinu

xinu

Jul 2, 2017
Ownership

1. 500
Some of the noise you hear will be gone after the first oil change. It will also seem like you got a new transmission too. Gear noise can be reduced by replacing differential fluids with something of higher quality. Engineering quality isn't an issue with the P5, though assembly could be better. Some people have found some things to be loose when they shouldn't. There is also a post in the forum about the clutch adjustment bolt giving someone a problem and beware of the oil filter cover bolts as they can break when over tightened. I haven't experienced any of these issues. You will also want to extend ALL of your vent lines above any potential water line and maybe a snorkel to reduce sand and dirt in the airbox.

The popular opinion of the P5... built like a tank and has all the torque you need to go anywhere.

Thanks for your insight. I remember tweaking the clutch adjustment screw/bolt on my ES Foreman after it got stuck in 4th. Yeah, the design of Honda oil filter system hasn't changed over the years and is subject to over zealous torquing mishaps. Probably made worse due to the difficult to access location on the P5.

D

Deleted member 3748

Thanks for your insight. I remember tweaking the clutch adjustment screw/bolt on my ES Foreman after it got stuck in 4th. Yeah, the design of Honda oil filter system hasn't changed over the years and is subject to over zealous torquing mishaps. Probably made worse due to the difficult to access location on the P5.
It's not TOO bad to get to the oil filter. I have the most difficulty putting the cover back on and tearing o-rings. I keep them on the shelf now.

Reactions: xinu and rocmar
xinu

xinu

Jul 2, 2017
Ownership

1. 500
They are a lil noisy (mechanically) but they do seem to quiet down after a bit and mine did seem quieter all around after 2nd service and switching all lubes to full synthetic...
Enjoy ! Welcome !

Thanks HUCK.

Should I wait until the 2nd service to go synthetic?

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve had many (mostly Honda) ATVs in the past. Currently have a Sportsman 1000 Touring and a TRX700XX.

I’m an old guy and this is my first SxS. Wanted something to ride reasonably slowly in any weather with me and the misses. No worries about going too fast in this one.

I like being at one with the machine. My past Honda ATVs have pretty much got me there. This P5 doesn’t quite feel like the Honda quality I’ve come to expect. Although it does get the job done. Maybe I’m expecting too much at this price point.

My new P5 has a lot more going on than just of the sound of the thumper driving the wheels/tires. Gear on gear whirl is at a higher level than expected and there’s an annoying clanky rattle when the drive-line is unloaded. This lashing sound diminishes when in 4WD. I can't remember my old Foreman having such a obnoxious shift clunk. I understand CVT based SxSs are very noisy. So I’m probably being too picky. Never the less I’ve got to search for some acoustic damping mods. I'm thinking the roof and windshield capture and focus mechanical noise to the riders.

Nice exhaust note. May get a Silent Rider like I had on my old 420.

Power steering won't be missed on this guy. Near ATV-like turning radius.

I’m shorter than I used to be so the interior fits me well and is comfy.

Suspension is very harsh but getting slightly more compliant with run-in. Not good enough for a Honda.

Auto shift is nice. Smoother shifting than manual mode for the most part. The auto trans shift program has a interesting mode where at times the clutch engagement seems to have a relatively long pause after the gear has been selected. Maybe its just doing this during the break-in period. Can’t replicate this shifting behaviour in MT. Who knows how much thought went into programming the shifting brain.

Not looking forward to peeling back everything and the contortions involved for the first oil change.

Like anything new and different it takes time to adjust. I think the P5 has lots of potential to be what I envisioned. Maybe after a few mods I will be singing its praises.

Cheers,

Greg
Welcome. ...from one old guy.in New Mexico

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
It's not TOO bad to get to the oil filter. I have the most difficulty putting the cover back on and tearing o-rings. I keep them on the shelf now.

They can be a little tricky. I change oil on alot of them, and for some strange reason I've never "pinched" an O-ring on the P500's, but have on the P1K and a couple 4 wheelers. I generously coat the O-rings with oil and also the mating surface inside the crankcase. Then try to evenly turn the bolts in. If the cover gets cocked a little too much, or a section of the O-ring or case didn't get coated with oil, it can easily be pinched.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
[QUOTE="xinu, post: 195671, member: 8137"

Cheers,

Greg[/QUOTE]

They come from the factory with the shocks set up a notch or two from the softest position. It may help a little if you turn them to the softest position.
Also changing to some 25" or so radial tires would improve the ride, provided you don't go with an 8 or 10 ply. A good 6 ply is enough for the P500.

advertisement
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
When you do the oil change, think about removing the skid plates and run a heavy gauge hot lead from the battery to the hood, with waterproof switched circuit breaker near battery, as many of us have ended up adding extras like winch and lights. I did 6 ga wire in protective sheath. Synthetic oil in engine and diff s helped noise. It is what it is, but I don't worry about getting stranded on the trail with this Honda. Larger wheels and tires made a huge difference. Welcome and keep us posted. Great info with search feature on this forum.

xinu

xinu

Jul 2, 2017
Ownership

1. 500
^Thanks for the welcome and advice Mudder. I'm planning on installing a winch in the fall. I crawl under it then and remove the plates to install the breaker and cable run for the winch.

xinu

xinu

Jul 2, 2017
Ownership

1. 500
Just finished the first oil change. All went well. I can understand why there are reports of some difficulty servicing the oil filter. As PistonHonda pointed out, its not TOO bad:)

I need to get a funnel with a long neck. I found the most frustrating task was positioning the funnel in one hand tilting it so I could pour the oil in without missing the funnel mouth or overflowing (which I did).

Reset the service indicator and immediately noticed a shifting improvement. Happy Happy!

Reactions: rocmar
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Yes, a plastic tubing to extend the funnel reach is helpful and you can see the oil going down easier. Keep a few extra pieces in the shop. Cheap fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocmar
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I agree with most, if not all the points the OP made, this is a noisy little sucker at speed, way more than I expected. I added the Honda-line roof, w/s & back panel which only seemed to amplify the noise. We hit the 170 mile mark this wkd so I plan to change all fluids to full syn and see if that helps.

xinu

xinu

Jul 2, 2017
Ownership

1. 500
I agree with most, if not all the points the OP made, this is a noisy little sucker at speed, way more than I expected. I added the Honda-line roof, w/s & back panel which only seemed to amplify the noise. We hit the 170 mile mark this wkd so I plan to change all fluids to full syn and see if that helps.

I didn't go synthetic on the first service. Maybe after the 2nd. The Honda tech at the dealer told me to stay with dino oil in the motor and synthetic in the front and rear. He said these ES Foreman engines have less clutch related shifting problems with good old classic oil.

So far I would have to say that the P500 with roof and front and rear windshield is the perfect putting machine. It excels when riding at speeds less that 10 mph. Beyond that it gets so noisy that you are just about yelling to communicate with the one next to you. If the trail/road is not very smooth the suspension will have problems maintaining ride composure when you push the speed past 20 mph.

Reactions: jawquin
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I didn't go synthetic on the first service. Maybe after the 2nd. The Honda tech at the dealer told me to stay with dino oil in the motor and synthetic in the front and rear. He said these ES Foreman engines have less clutch related shifting problems with good old classic oil.

So far I would have to say that the P500 with roof and front and rear windshield is the perfect putting machine. It excels when riding at speeds less that 10 mph. Beyond that it gets so noisy that you are just about yelling to communicate with the one next to you. If the trail/road is not very smooth the suspension will have problems maintaining ride composure when you push the speed past 20 mph.

Good point, I may just do the diffs this weekend. I did just order a set of 27" Terrabites which should bring engine rpms down at trail speeds. It certainly has the power & gear to turn them.

R

Rynopolous

Mar 29, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Just put some new Redline rims and 27” Sadonas on. Much better ride than the stock tires and rims. I did notice it seems like the clutch is slipping during shifts with the added tire weight. Has anyone else noticed this?

D95F6F57 0AE9 4960 B476 B0E6E0BB3952

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!