BOX1

P500 2017 with 25" or 26" tires

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
What are your opinions on larger tires on a 2017 without the extra low first gear? I am planning to buy new tires and I need to decide between 25" or 26". I dont ride in a lot of mud but will play around in a mud hole from time to time. I do climb a lot of steep rocky hills.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
What are your opinions on larger tires on a 2017 without the extra low first gear? I am planning to buy new tires and I need to decide between 25" or 26". I dont ride in a lot of mud but will play around in a mud hole from time to time. I do climb a lot of steep rocky hills.
I went with 26" tires, wouldn't go any smaller, I will be going with 27" when the time comes to replace them, It all depends on if you think you need the torque of a smaller tire.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'm running 26" and have been happy with them. Like IG said, I wouldn't go any smaller personally. I just wonder if 27" would rub or hit at all? If not, I'd probably go that route, nothing wrong with having more ground clearance. I would strongly suggest giving it a wider stance if you're going up though.

C

Chucky

Feb 15, 2017
Edgewater, Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
I put 26s on my 2017. Before I ordered my new tires, I had the same concerns about climbing as you. Let me put your concerns to rest. I just got back from Moab, my P5 climbed up grades that were unreal. I had never climbed anything steeper with any of my previous rides. Plus the added ground clearance. Would buy 26s again!

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I'm running 26" and have been happy with them. Like IG said, I wouldn't go any smaller personally. I just wonder if 27" would rub or hit at all? If not, I'd probably go that route, nothing wrong with having more ground clearance. I would strongly suggest giving it a wider stance if you're going up though.
I was thinking that the 2017 is an inch lower than the older machines 26" should be about as stable as the older machines on stock tires. I plan to use the stock wheels and was hoping to keep the same width. my biggest concern is the power.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I put 26s on my 2017. Before I ordered my new tires, I had the same concerns about climbing as you. Let me put your concerns to rest. I just got back from Moab, my P5 climbed up grades that were unreal. I had never climbed anything steeper with any of my previous rides. Plus the added ground clearance. Would buy 26s again!
Thats what I needed to hear. Are you on stock wheels?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I went with the BH 2.0's because I was concerned about the BH originals being too heavy on a hill climb. Can't speak for the originals but I've had no problem turning the 2.0's. I ran them on stock wheels at first and it was pretty tippy so I added 1" spacers. Only took it to 52" but made a big difference in the stability.

Reactions: BURNDOG
banjobart

banjobart

Dec 8, 2015
East Lansing, MI
Ownership

1. 500
I now use the 26" tires (Maxxis Big Horn 2.0) with no problems or concerns. They run through sloppy, muddy water high as the top of the tire. Sand is not a problem. No rubbing. I did go with 1.5" spacers, in the rear only. The rear width is now exactly 53" and the front is still 50". I do not have a fear of tipping or bogging down. My top speed remains at the governed 40 MPH. I was hoping for a little more speed with the 26" tires over the stock 24" tires but it did not happen.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I "downsized" to 26" tires last week. (I've been running 27" Ripsaws for 2 years.) While the casual riding is smoother and quieter, I am concerned how they will work in the rougher terrain. I have lost ground clearance AND width (stability), along with weight at my base. My rig does seem a bit "peppier" on take off in second gear (I rarely use L around town), and should be livelier on the trails. I would NEVER go smaller than 26", and may regret not going to 28"x10"R-14" on all four corners. Oh, well. Just gives me something to try on my next purchase. Ha!

C

Chucky

Feb 15, 2017
Edgewater, Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
26" tires on stock wheels;

20170301 173010

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
My top speed remains at the governed 40 MPH. I was hoping for a little more speed with the 26" tires over the stock 24" tires but it did not happen.

Your indicated top speed will not change, as it's electronically limited to 40MPH. But your actual ground speed should be a little higher, as you're geared up with the taller tires. Check it with a GPS and I bet you pick up a couple MPH.

Reactions: WillB
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I picked up these tires from Chaparral. They only come in 25" so that made my decision easier. The price for all 4 was $219.00 no freight no tax. They are a knock off of the original big horn knock off the GBC Dirt Tamer. The tread is exactly the same as the Dirt Tamer (in appearance). They measure a little over 25" at 7PSI so I would call them a true 25" tire. They are 6 ply rated bias. I mounted them up over the weekend and went for a short ride, so far so good. The cases feel strong and I think they will be durable but time will tell. The way I see it if they last 50% of the Big Horn or Dirt Tamer I will brake even if they last longer its an even better bargain. So far they ride, look and handle much better than the stock tires.

Vgood tires

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
If I were riding low elevations I may have gone with 26" tires but my riding includes a lot of 10, 11, 12K elevations my 25" are going to be big as I get because bigger they are they rob more HP and I don't want to ride in low gear all the time.

Last edited:
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
If I were riding low elevations I may have gone with 26" tires but my riding includes a lot of 10, 11, 12K elevations my 25" are going to big as I get because bigger they are they rob more HP and I don't want to ride in low gear all the time.
The elevations in my area vary between 1,000'-3,000' so not an altitude issue but I'm constantly going up and down hills and I don't like to labor the engine too much. I think I will be happy with the 25" tires.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I had 26x9x12 Roctane XD put on my OEM rims day one and love them. They are about 2.75" taller than OEM tires, they work well in all terrain from rocks to very muddy trails.

Reactions: MSmillie and rocmar
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
Here they are on the machine. I have some hub caps and 1" spacers for the rear on the way. I'm thinking 1" on the back will give me a little improvement in stability without adding too much width to the machine.

IMG 1088

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
1" spacers installed on the rear today and here is how it measures up. Front 25x8/12 tires on stock wheels no spacers 49.75", rear 25x10/12 tires on stock wheels 1" spacers 50.75". I was surprised to find the rear was that much narrower than the front. if I decide to go to 1.5" spacers for the back the 1" will be perfect for the front giving equal width front and rear. The thing I like the best about only adding 1" spacers to the back is that the tires are just at ths edge of the fenders so no need for extensions. I really like this machine and I dont have any real complaints but I think honda should have made the rear axle with as close to 50" as possible. I added 2" to the width and I'm only 1" wider than the front. They have several ways to fix this and the easiest would be to change the rear wheel offset by 0.625". This would at least give the maximum 50" width not 48.75". The thing about this change to the wheels would be that the cost to Honda would be minimal just specify to their wheel supplier a change in the back spacing, everything else about the wheel would remain the same. I dont know what reason they have for the rear width being so narrow ( maybe there is a good one) but I would think that making it as wide as possible and staying under 50" would only make for a safer machine.

Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
1" spacers installed on the rear today and here is how it measures up. Front 25x8/12 tires on stock wheels no spacers 49.75", rear 25x10/12 tires on stock wheels 1" spacers 50.75". I was surprised to find the rear was that much narrower than the front. if I decide to go to 1.5" spacers for the back the 1" will be perfect for the front giving equal width front and rear. The thing I like the best about only adding 1" spacers to the back is that the tires are just at ths edge of the fenders so no need for extensions. I really like this machine and I dont have any real complaints but I think honda should have made the rear axle with as close to 50" as possible. I added 2" to the width and I'm only 1" wider than the front. They have several ways to fix this and the easiest would be to change the rear wheel offset by 0.625". This would at least give the maximum 50" width not 48.75". The thing about this change to the wheels would be that the cost to Honda would be minimal just specify to their wheel supplier a change in the back spacing, everything else about the wheel would remain the same. I dont know what reason they have for the rear width being so narrow ( maybe there is a good one) but I would think that making it as wide as possible and staying under 50" would only make for a safer machine.

P5..to tall...
50" butt pucker effect...
where we ride...
5+2 offset....
2" spacers on all corners
puts you as close to 58"
As you an get..
Stability. ..traction...handling
totally different animal...

Reactions: WillB
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!