DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
First off let me say I don't claim to know dick... but since it seems related to stator/charging/load at idle could it still be ground related? Try running an extra known good ground (jumper cable clamped at appropriate locations)
At least it would positively eliminate 1 possibility.
I was thinking about this as well. I'm not familiar with the 1000, but I was looking at a poor quality service manual yesterday, and it shows (on paper, anyway) several grounds in the system. @dakotadrone I know you said you checked them, but is it possible there is one you missed?

On the other hand, the 700 diagram makes it look like it has more grounds than you "see", because the eyelets are crimped together, effectively making it look like one single connection.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
There's a reason there is not flat rate time for electrical. It can be minutes...or hours.

Not too long ago I did a Ram 1500 with a battery drain that was a tough one. It took the better part of a day and a half because it was so intermittent. Turns out the passenger sunvisor wires (an always suspect area) were damaged inside the insulation just enough to occasionally keep the BCM awake. Can you really charge someone $1200 in labor for that? Being a mechanic is tough sometimes.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
There's a reason there is not flat rate time for electrical. It can be minutes...or hours.

Not too long ago I did a Ram 1500 with a battery drain that was a tough one. It took the better part of a day and a half because it was so intermittent. Turns out the passenger sunvisor wires (an always suspect area) were damaged inside the insulation just enough to occasionally keep the BCM awake. Can you really charge someone $1200 in labor for that? Being a mechanic is tough sometimes.
Well said!
That's the same stuff I deal with charging labor. You have to do it cuz its your time and the co is paying for your experience to get it right. But it sucks giving that bill at times

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will throw in that we've had guys think they've checked all the grounds, but later found that one they already checked was the problem. Those grounds can be tricky.

D

dakotadrone

Apr 27, 2024
South dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
First off let me say I don't claim to know dick... but since it seems related to stator/charging/load at idle could it still be ground related? Try running an extra known good ground (jumper cable clamped at appropriate locations)
At least it would positively eliminate 1 possibility.
I did run a jumper ground to engine. I plan to run a jumper ground to chassis from battery and directly from battery to engine as well in the morning.

D

dakotadrone

Apr 27, 2024
South dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well first thing this morning I hooked jumper from battery to chassis grounds and chassis to engine. No difference, dug into wire diagram An the charging plug on regulator both the ground and power wire side go into internal harness splices then power wire goes to main 50 Amp fuse which I show no voltage drop between fuse and regulator. Everywhere I check ground at shows good solid ground connection. Hooked up the mcs to watch live data again and noticed when stator is plugged the MAP pressure average goes up to around 80 kpa. Unplug an it goes down to around 62 kpa averages. Throttle position voltage never moves. Since they are linked power an ground with separate signal wires. Leads me to believe I have some issue going on with the signal wire but can't be totally sure if it cause of difference or effect from the rough idle when it gets plugged in.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well first thing this morning I hooked jumper from battery to chassis grounds and chassis to engine. No difference, dug into wire diagram An the charging plug on regulator both the ground and power wire side go into internal harness splices then power wire goes to main 50 Amp fuse which I show no voltage drop between fuse and regulator. Everywhere I check ground at shows good solid ground connection. Hooked up the mcs to watch live data again and noticed when stator is plugged the MAP pressure average goes up to around 80 kpa. Unplug an it goes down to around 62 kpa averages. Throttle position voltage never moves. Since they are linked power an ground with separate signal wires. Leads me to believe I have some issue going on with the signal wire but can't be totally sure if it cause of difference or effect from the rough idle when it gets plugged in.
First...full confession that my brain doesn't work well with metric units, nor do I work on single cylinder or twin cylinder engines...but is that MAP reading typical of a p1000? It seems low...but...see first sentence.

When you unplug the regulator, does it set a code immediately? If so, the act of the PCM defaulting in "fail safe" could be what's causing it to clear up, rather than the actual unplugging. I don't know if power sports fuel injection is that sophisticated yet.

Any EVAP stuff on these?

Last edited:
Reactions: HBarlow and ChadD
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Also: does the mcs have any type of fuel trim readings? How did the O2s look under both conditions?

advertisement
D

dakotadrone

Apr 27, 2024
South dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well re checked my valve clearances, and compression. Swapped the injector pigtails front to rear since it's batch fire. Swapped my coils again front to rear. It stays with front cylinder dropping. With occasional pop out of front intake. Freshly cleaned plugs are totally black soot covered in minutes of running. Even though I've already replaced them I wanted to test them again and Injectors both ohm out good even after running for awhile. Did a leak down since it doesn't follow any other electrical components, which makes me think mechanical. Just feels electrical though. Has 5-7% on both cylinders through the rings. I'm losing my mind going circles on this thing. Thinking about trying one heat range hotter plugs to see if that cleans it up at all.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
t-shooting over the internet is tuff - if it’s mechanical I’ll send u a beer - my beer money is on electrical

my advice;

-walk away for a day - the obsession clouds the mind
-u r on to something when it runs fine with stator out of circuit
-I’d still pull every fuse that doesn’t stop the engine - who knows what customers do to machines and wiring

D

dakotadrone

Apr 27, 2024
South dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
t-shooting over the internet is tuff - if it’s mechanical I’ll send u a beer - my beer money is on electrical

my advice;

-walk away for a day - the obsession clouds the mind
-u r on to something when it runs fine with stator out of circuit
-I’d still pull every fuse that doesn’t stop the engine - who knows what customers do to machines and wiring
I did pull all fuses an made no change. I'm digging into dash now to get access to the second junction block to make sure no corrosion in it. Then yes I'm walking away for awhile till I hear from Honda. Last time it was 2 weeks and they never did reply when I dug in again and found unplugging stator cleared it up.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok...is it possible to unplug the stator without unplugging the ckp? I suspect not, but if you can, I wonder how it would run? The goal being to bridge any possible circuits that might be shorted without providing charging voltage.

I know you ran it with a charger and it seemed ok, so that's probably not it, but I assume the regulator was disconnected for that.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Oh...and one more thing to try: I know the battery tested good, but just for kicks, try another.

I once had a Dodge intrepid acting like it was possessed. Cranked and Fired right up, but then acted BIZARRE with all sorts of lights, etc. Battery tested good, but then i noticed while using a jump pack to roll up a window with the main battery disconnected that it seemed to run much better (Chryslers really hate bad batteries, more so than most). Replaced the battery, and Viola!

Only thing I can figure was it had some sort of internal short. It passed every load test we could put on it with flying colors. Worth a shot.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm no electrician and my post may very well prove it, and as we know a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous but here goes: When doing my windshield wiper i learned that in order to get the park function to work it utilizes a ground switched as opposed to positive switched circuit so when you switch off the wiper the park circuit still has power to get to the park position.
Could the coil or injector circuits be the same way and you need to find a faulty switch on the negative side of the circuit (possibly caused by the oil filled stator harness causing resistance) ?
🤔

D

dakotadrone

Apr 27, 2024
South dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm no electrician and my post may very well prove it, and as we know a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous but here goes: When doing my windshield wiper i learned that in order to get the park function to work it utilizes a ground switched as opposed to positive switched circuit so when you switch off the wiper the park circuit still has power to get to the park position.
Could the coil or injector circuits be the same way and you need to find a faulty switch on the negative side of the circuit (possibly caused by the oil filled stator harness causing resistance) ?
🤔
The injectors and coils are both ground switched but controlled and switched internally in the PCM.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!