P500 2018 P500 Valve Adjustment

B

Bobcat3

Feb 18, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I recently preformed a full maintenance on my 2018 P500 at 1000 miles which included adjusting my valves. I used a fiber optic scope to find TDC in the inspection port located behind the battery. What I didn't know at the time is that the "T" will show in the compression cycle AND in the exhaust cycle. This little bit of information caused me a lot of work. I finally got it correct but only after completely disassembling and reassembling three times. I wrongly adjusted my valves when the "T" showed in the inspection port when on the exhaust cycle instead of the compression cycle. To get to TDC in the compression cycle (even in 5th gear) is more difficult to achieve, and that is how I managed to do it wrong twice. Symptoms of doing it wrong include a very noisy engine and a clicking or ticking noise. Once I got it correct my engine was quiet once again. My post is to help others like myself who are inexperienced at adjusting valves. The only good thing about my blunder is that I can do the job in 4 hours now instead of all day.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I recently preformed a full maintenance on my 2018 P500 at 1000 miles which included adjusting my valves. I used a fiber optic scope to find TDC in the inspection port located behind the battery. What I didn't know at the time is that the "T" will show in the compression cycle AND in the exhaust cycle. This little bit of information caused me a lot of work. I finally got it correct but only after completely disassembling and reassembling three times. I wrongly adjusted my valves when the "T" showed in the inspection port when on the exhaust cycle instead of the compression cycle. To get to TDC in the compression cycle (even in 5th gear) is more difficult to achieve, and that is how I managed to do it wrong twice. Symptoms of doing it wrong include a very noisy engine and a clicking or ticking noise. Once I got it correct my engine was quiet once again. My post is to help others like myself who are inexperienced at adjusting valves. The only good thing about my blunder is that I can do the job in 4 hours now instead of all day.

So was it off?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!