2019 Honda Talon 1000R rear frame cracks

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just discovered this. Anyone else have this happen? @HondaTech have you seen this before?

I BcsNSPS XL

Closer look.

I VNrR49B XL

One clean break and one crack on the passenger side.

IMG 20211013 172652789 XL

And 2 cracks on the drivers side.

IMG 20211013 1730075003 XL

Wondering if all the weight I carry combined with my enthusiastic driving resulted in this. @CID our Talons are very similarly set up, give your frame a look.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

Never seen that before. But it honestly wouldn't surprise me with a heavy load in the bed.

We've seen 2 with ripped off sway bar bushing mounts. Someone makes a plate kit for that now, but i cant remember who maybe RaceCo?

We braced ours on the race car with some plates.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Never seen that before. But it honestly wouldn't surprise me with a heavy load in the bed.

We've seen 2 with ripped off sway bar bushing mounts. Someone makes a plate kit for that now, but i cant remember who maybe RaceCo?

We braced ours on the race car with some plates.

My trunk and it's contents are under 100lbs but I do have the Dirt Road Fab bed extender, a 32" spare and a 3 gallon RotoPax. The bed extender isn't all dead weight though, it's supported off the cage and tied into the frame behind the diff. I would imagine your managers and slowpokes race car would be under greater stress but maybe not since all the extra weight isn't there. I'll see what I can find as a kit or have my buddy fab something up.

If you get a chance I'd appreciate some pics of the braced area on the race car.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
My Talon isn't a good example to use. I cut those tubes out of my car and replaced them with DOM tube when I built it. The only stock part of that tube that is left on my frame is where the upper rear suspension points are mounted. I wasn't allowed to change that per the rules so I spliced/sleeved the new tube in from there forward.

Might have pictures somewhere....

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Nice work. I cant find anything from RaceCo to address this issue, I'll be reaching out to my buddy who has experience with Baja/Beetle fabrication, I'm sure he can come up with a solution to fix/reinforce that area.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
4,500 and 17,000 hard miles on 2 different 2019 R's and not a hint of problems. @hondabob has 23,000+ and he hasn't said anything.

Since the 3 breaking points in your photos are all where the sway bar gussets end, I will go out on a limb and say that HD sway bar (combined with your driving style) is the cause. The torsion at those points is creating more force than the frame was designed to handle. Replace the 4 uprights with larger and/or thicker tubes and you should be fine.

Another bit of evidence is that @hondabob removed his sway bar long ago and I only use mine at the dunes so we are not stressing those points nearly as much as you do.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!