Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
........It has an irritating whine with the front engaged.......
This is due to the gear mis-match front to rear, the front diff ring gear has a slightly different gear ratio, by 1 tooth. I've just about eliminated it by running the front tires a few psi higher than the rears, something like 16/12 psi, also run Redline Shockproof in the front, I hardly notice it now. FYI, I have 30" Terrabites all the way around

Reactions: Buggyman and CID
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
$176 for rears only. :oops: (Talon, not Pioneer) I looked at the fronts recently and they're good for a (short) while longer. If I had caught this earlier, I may very well have tried the Pioneer pads but - timing is everything.

I went with Honda thru the dealership because I know they'll get me the right set. I get a discount because I bought there but I'm sure it's a token discount, but better than MSRP. If I had ordered online, there's no guarantee I'd have gotten it right - I've looked at the online parts diagram and didn't come away feeling like I knew wtf I was doing. My Utah trip depends on the right parts so .....

I was surprised that mine were done at 81xx miles, I use a lot of engine braking instead of brakes. I'm mechanically sympathetic (and cheap) so I'm well aware of the wear when I'm on the brakes.

50% at 17,000 miles. :oops: But yer plated so there's that. Axles (CVs) clicking yet?
Never run asphalt for more than a few miles at a time, (you know where i live) cvs all sound good, i run four wheel drive always except on asphalt, no locker-all stock. We just put fuel in this thing and go see the sights. You get over my way, my last offer stands, we'll be in and out of here until after Thanksgiving

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
For most of the first half of the Talon's life, I was in 2wd most of the time. But as I got more engaged in driving, I took to poking the I4wd button more often. Now, it's in more than it's out. It has an irritating whine with the front engaged but, since there aren't any other negatives, it's more fun because it pulls harder and I'm not burning the rears off.

It also uses compression braking better on the steep downhills because the rears aren't slipping across the loose surface since the fronts have more traction going downhill. Learned that riding dirt bikes, I passed a lot of guys afraid of their front brakes.
x.gif
You say something about Hare and Hound racing?
IMG 0487

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is due to the gear mis-match front to rear, the front diff ring gear has a slightly different gear ratio, by 1 tooth. I've just about eliminated it by running the front tires a few psi higher than the rears, something like 16/12 psi, also run Redline Shockproof in the front, I hardly notice it now. FYI, I have 30" Terrabites all the way around
I can't bring myself to run less TP in the rears, that's where 55% of the weight is (I know, I know). Also running 30"ers and likely to stay with them at my occasional altitudes of up to 13k + feet (32" would be too much power loss IMO).

A part being reluctant to run more TP in the fronts - I'm running BFG K02s and they ride harsher than an OHV specific tire so I'm trying to soften that 'a bit'. Being frugal, I'm happy with the longer tread life of a lite truck tire but paying my dues in ride quality.

Two things might/could change that - 1. I have a set of Shock Therapy shocks that need to be 'aired' up. That'll happen soon. 2. I've about convinced myself that I'd like to try the BFG KM3 OHV tires next, simply because they're OHV specific and 'may' ride softer because of it. The problem with that is that they don't come in 15" so I'd have to buy 14" wheels, not something I'm keen on.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Never run asphalt for more than a few miles at a time, (you know where i live) cvs all sound good, i run four wheel drive always except on asphalt, no locker-all stock. We just put fuel in this thing and go see the sights. You get over my way, my last offer stands, we'll be in and out of here until after Thanksgiving
As soon as I get the CV and rear brakes replaced, I'm headed back to Utah. I'll try to time it with you, I'd really like a tour of Sand Hollow and anywhere else you'd like to show me. 😎 (not plated tho 😥)

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Off topic question here..... @CID I know you ride out yonder a lot, what would you say is the best time of yr to plan a ride for Utah?

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I can't bring myself to run less TP in the rears, that's where 55% of the weight is (I know, I know). Also running 30"ers and likely to stay with them at my occasional altitudes of up to 13k + feet (32" would be too much power loss IMO).

A part being reluctant to run more TP in the fronts - I'm running BFG K02s and they ride harsher than an OHV specific tire so I'm trying to soften that 'a bit'. Being frugal, I'm happy with the longer tread life of a lite truck tire but paying my dues in ride quality.

Two things might/could change that - 1. I have a set of Shock Therapy shocks that need to be 'aired' up. That'll happen soon. 2. I've about convinced myself that I'd like to try the BFG KM3 OHV tires next, simply because they're OHV specific and 'may' ride softer because of it. The problem with that is that they don't come in 15" so I'd have to buy 14" wheels, not something I'm keen on.
I ran km3's on my previous machine, they made them then in 15". I run 9 front, 11 rear with the walmart special LT tires, no problems- expect 13,000 miles on the rear. Get over my way, maybe try out a weller setup

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Off topic question here..... @CID I know you ride out yonder a lot, what would you say is the best time of yr to plan a ride for Utah?
April and early May. (March can still be fairly coolish). Got chased out by the heat in late May. Late September, after the rug rats are back in school, thru late November. I got chased out last year at the end of November with a hard freeze warning.
I ran km3's on my previous machine, they made them then in 15". I run 9 front, 11 rear with the walmart special LT tires, no problems- expect 13,000 miles on the rear. Get over my way, maybe try out a weller setup
The 15" KM3's aren't OHV specific and if I go that route, I'm hoping for the softer ride of such.
83 was the last race for me, I was fixin to get in the kid way, had a lot of fun! I always liked the more endurance races, Hare & Hound and Enduro's. Had a blast!
I also liked the longer races. MX was race for 20-30 minutes, sit around for 'a long time' and race another 20-30 minutes. I was wound too tight for that. The longer races also rewarded terrain reading ability, there wasn't any learning/walking the track, race it as it jumped up in front of you.
x.gif

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The 15" KM3's aren't OHV specific and if I go that route, I'm hoping for the softer ride of such. Wrong thing?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The 15" KM3's aren't OHV specific and if I go that route, I'm hoping for the softer ride of such. Wrong thing?
Well, good question. When I go to the BFG site, the UTV (I was wrong about OHV) KM3's only show up in 14". When I try to search by vehicle, the only choices I get are street vehicles after selecting year and mfr. Which is weird because the KM3 UTV is non DOT.

I don't 'think' RMATV cares if the tire is UTV rated, only that it's a 15" KM3.

I found the chart below somewhere on this page but it was 'challenging'. 😥

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well, good question. When I go to the BFG site, the UTV (I was wrong about OHV) KM3's only show up in 14". When I try to search by vehicle, the only choices I get are street vehicles after selecting year and mfr.

I found the chart below somewhere on this page but it was 'challenging'. 😥

View attachment 358741

I'm running 32x10R15 UTV BFG KM3's on my Talon. They've been great for the rocky terrain I usually encounter. Go back to that web page to see if perhaps you didn't click on the 15" tab. The 15" UTV KM3's come in 30", 32" and 35". "Vehicle specific" likely didn't result in any hits since our stock tire's are 28x15, which they don't make in a KM3.

Screenshot 2022 10 14 090748

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm running 32x10R15 UTV BFG KM3's on my Talon. They've been great for the rocky terrain I usually encounter. Go back to that web page to see if perhaps you didn't click on the 15" tab. The 15" UTV KM3's come in 30", 32" and 35". "Vehicle specific" likely didn't result in any hits since our stock tire's are 28x15, which they don't make in a KM3.

View attachment 358800
By golly, Ollie, yer right. I've found my next tire
clap.gif
, thx fer the help, Dude. 👍 I'd bet I've been on the BFG site a dozen times trying to find this listing. :-|

@Dankathy I was wrong, 😊 it looks like your RMATV link was what I was looking for. 😎

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!