JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Bob - I'm in AZ as well and mostly ride in MT mode (more fun to shift gears). Based on your mileage and brake wear, I'm thinking you must do the same. I'm curious to know if those who needed to replace pads after only 1,000 +/- miles, are you predominantly riding in the AT setting?
Nope, I ride in all different settings depending on terrain. Down here we ride a lot of swampy trails and lots and lots of sugar sand. I actually hardly use the breaks but it all gets up in between the pads and rotors and just eats them up. I guess I've just got used to expecting the pads to last around 4-500 miles 🤷‍♂️

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well, Crap!!

The Talon started blowing grease out of the LR inner CV boot, so I bought parts and started working on it today. It was clicking pretty bad when cold anyway. When I removed the caliper, I had a look at the pads. :oops: At 8157 miles the inner pad has less meat on it than Bob's worst photo. :eek: Another 4 miles and Idda bin metal on metal. 😫

Even at $176, none in stock here, so my Utah trip is waiting at least another week. :( 😢 😭 😰 😥 😪

Because my trip depends on a proper fit, I'm not willing to try the Pioneer pads at this time, so I bit the bullet.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well, Crap!!

The Talon started blowing grease out of the LR inner CV boot, so I bought parts and started working on it today. It was clicking pretty bad when cold anyway. When I removed the caliper, I had a look at the pads. :oops: At 8157 miles the inner pad has less meat on it than Bob's worst photo. :eek: Another 4 miles and Idda bin metal on metal. 😫

Even at $176, none in stock here, so my Utah trip is waiting at least another week. :( 😢 😭 😰 😥 😪

Because my trip depends on a proper fit, I'm not willing to try the Pioneer pads at this time, so I bit the bullet.
To lazy to look it up myself, so $176 for four wheels worth of pioneer pads, $400 for four sets of talon pads? Did you go honda? Find a aftermarket? 17,000 miles and mine are somewhere around 50% - but we're not like some hotrod kids😇

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well, Crap!!

Meh..... You'll be good CID. I rode around TN for a few days with these......😳
20220830 212835

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
To lazy to look it up myself, so $176 for four wheels worth of pioneer pads, $400 for four sets of talon pads? Did you go honda? Find a aftermarket? 17,000 miles and mine are somewhere around 50% - but we're not like some hotrod kids😇

For $125 in savings I'd be sanding down the Pioneer pads to make them fit the Talon properly. $400 for what amount to 4 pairs of dirt bike pads is stupid.

I just put OEM Ford pads on my 2019 F550 service truck and they were not even close to $400 and there is enough pad and backing plate material in those to make several sets of Talon pads.

@CID..... Did the offer you lube with those?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
$176 for rears only. :oops: (Talon, not Pioneer) I looked at the fronts recently and they're good for a (short) while longer. If I had caught this earlier, I may very well have tried the Pioneer pads but - timing is everything.

I went with Honda thru the dealership because I know they'll get me the right set. I get a discount because I bought there but I'm sure it's a token discount, but better than MSRP. If I had ordered online, there's no guarantee I'd have gotten it right - I've looked at the online parts diagram and didn't come away feeling like I knew wtf I was doing. My Utah trip depends on the right parts so .....

I was surprised that mine were done at 81xx miles, I use a lot of engine braking instead of brakes. I'm mechanically sympathetic (and cheap) so I'm well aware of the wear when I'm on the brakes.

50% at 17,000 miles. :oops: But yer plated so there's that. Axles (CVs) clicking yet?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Any of you guys wearing out brake pads quickly running the I4wd delete switches? I put one in my car before I ever drove it, it's been a short course race car since new and my brake pads are barely worn. To say I'm hard on the brakes is an understatement. I drive this thing deeeeep into corners and stand on the brake pedal to slow it down. I raced a full season (11 races) and can probably go another full season before I even need to look at them again. Car currently has 689 miles on it for anyone intrested.

My theory is that the I4wd system screws with brake force even when your cruising trails, and in turn it's wearing pads prematurely. Maybe I'm wrong but it's really the only explanation on why pads wear out so fast.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Any of you guys wearing out brake pads quickly running the I4wd delete switches? I put one in my car before I ever drove it, it's been a short course race car since new and my brake pads are barely worn. To say I'm hard on the brakes is an understatement. I drive this thing deeeeep into corners and stand on the brake pedal to slow it down. I raced a full season (11 races) and can probably go another full season before I even need to look at them again. Car currently has 689 miles on it for anyone intrested.

My theory is that the I4wd system screws with brake force even when your cruising trails, and in turn it's wearing pads prematurely. Maybe I'm wrong but it's really the only explanation on why pads wear out so fast.
I have i4wd delete switch and a Torq Locker so that ain't it. I really think it's about where you ride, like @JenElio we ride in a ton of mud, crud & sand. It get's in the calipers and just chews the pads up.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

Good point. fwiw: I'm not running the I4wd delete switch and it's my rears that are gone, they shouldn't be affected. I will keep this in mind though.

I'm guessing you have the delete and a Torq Locker?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I thought about asking the exact question about the I4wd.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Good point. fwiw: I'm not running the I4wd delete switch and it's my rears that are gone, they shouldn't be affected. I will keep this in mind though.

I'm guessing you have the delete and a Torq Locker?
My rears have always worn faster than the front also.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My rears have always worn faster than the front also.
I'd have lost a lot of money on that bet, given brake bias. I had recently checked my fronts which were good for a (short) while longer. The rears took me by complete surprise.

• Haha
Reactions: JenElio and 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'd have lost a lot of money on that bet, given brake bias. I had recently checked my fronts which were good for a (short) while longer. The rears took me by complete surprise.
I'm on my 3rd set, every time I've changed them the fronts have been at 30-40% left while the rears were down to or almost down to metal.

Reactions: JenElio and CID
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I don't think the i4wd actuates the brakes near as much as most believe.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've been thinking about the rear brakes wearing faster. What happens when a buggy without turf or I4wd makes a corner, the inside wheel spins, if the I4wd units don't spin the inside wheel what keeps it from doing that?

• Haha
Reactions: JenElio and 906UP
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
For most of the first half of the Talon's life, I was in 2wd most of the time. But as I got more engaged in driving, I took to poking the I4wd button more often. Now, it's in more than it's out. It has an irritating whine with the front engaged but, since there aren't any other negatives, it's more fun because it pulls harder and I'm not burning the rears off.

It also uses compression braking better on the steep downhills because the rears aren't slipping across the loose surface since the fronts have more traction going downhill. Learned that riding dirt bikes, I passed a lot of guys afraid of their front brakes.
x.gif

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I've been thinking about the rear brakes wearing faster. What happens when a buggy without turf or I4wd makes a corner, the inside wheel spins, if the I4wd units don't spin the inside wheel what keeps it from doing that?
Not sure I understand what you're asking....lol. The i4wd does nothing to the rear brakes. Regardless, mine has a TL so the i4wd never does anything anyways

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!