H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Just replaced my brake pads at 33,000 miles. Brakes last a lot longer in the Arizona desert. I was lucky to see the pads were worn out when I replaced the left rear wheel bearing. There wasn’t much left on the inboard pad. Its more difficult with the aftermarket support brackets that have to be removed. The Honda brake pads are different for each wheel. Lots of sand and stones bend the ball joint protector and score everything near the rear wheel. The aftermarket mud flaps help a lot. The decal braking is good so I’m easy on the brakes. Occasionally a big rut will blend in making it hard to see at speed so I have to brake hard then let up just before the hit. I’ve have been lucky so far and haven’t bottomed out the suspension. The brake pads are expensive at close to $400, even the aftermarket pads.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Just replaced my brake pads at 33,000 miles. Brakes last a lot longer in the Arizona desert. I was lucky to see the pads were worn out when I replaced the left rear wheel bearing. There wasn’t much left on the inboard pad. Its more difficult with the aftermarket support brackets that have to be removed. The Honda brake pads are different for each wheel. Lots of sand and stones bend the ball joint protector and score everything near the rear wheel. The aftermarket mud flaps help a lot. The decal braking is good so I’m easy on the brakes. Occasionally a big rut will blend in making it hard to see at speed so I have to brake hard then let up just before the hit. I’ve have been lucky so far and haven’t bottomed out the suspension. The brake pads are expensive at close to $400, even the aftermarket pads.

View attachment 357964View attachment 357965View attachment 357966View attachment 357967View attachment 357968View attachment 357969
Great write up and pictures ! Realistically if we add up all of our riding buddies miles , we may never reach 33000 miles accumulatively . Hopefully we'll be good .

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Damn Bob.
That's awesome.
I'd be lucky to get 2000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Wow....33K miles is great!!!!
I'm lucky if I get 500 out of a set 🤦‍♂️
I'm on my 3rd set at 4400 miles, have another set waiting to go in, probably next wkd.

BobFarrell

BobFarrell

Lifetime Member
Mar 17, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon X
Bob - I'm in AZ as well and mostly ride in MT mode (more fun to shift gears). Based on your mileage and brake wear, I'm thinking you must do the same. I'm curious to know if those who needed to replace pads after only 1,000 +/- miles, are you predominantly riding in the AT setting?

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Bob - I'm in AZ as well and mostly rode in MT mode (more fun to shift gears). Based on your mileage and brake wear, I'm thinking you must do the same. I'm curious to know if those who needed to replace pads after only 1,000 +/- miles, are you predominantly riding in the AT setting?
I'm at 8k miles and getting close to replacement. I'm in AT 95% of the time but 'paddle up' frequently to keep the noise down. Like Bob, most of my braking is done by the engine but using the brakes hard for 'surprises'. There are some steep, long descents in the Rockies that require braking for longer distances than I like but low gear, low range can't do it alone in those situations.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Bob - I'm in AZ as well and mostly rode in MT mode (more fun to shift gears). Based on your mileage and brake wear, I'm thinking you must do the same. I'm curious to know if those who needed to replace pads after only 1,000 +/- miles, are you predominantly riding in the AT setting?
I ride predominantly in mud, sand, slop, tight woods trails w sharp turns, lots of downed trees & wildlife that jumps out in front of you like deer, bears, wolves, etc. I'd bet harder on the brakes than most.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!