Talon 2019 Talon X rough idle and dies

B

BackwoodsBashOffroad

Nov 4, 2019
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X
I recently bought this blue beauty with 4 miles on it. Since I got her home, she's had somewhat of a rough idle after warming up a bit. When I go to take off after this happens, it'll fuel knock real bad and sometimes die. Over 1300 rpms, there is zero problems. No shifting issues. No engine light. I assumed at first it was just trying to learn the trans. Now that I have 100 miles on it (that recently purchased) it seems to be getting worse. It is under warranty, but my closest dealer is a couple hours away and I can't be out of it too long due to running an offroad park. My current suspect is the IACV due to my knowledge on cars and small research on the pioneers. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Check the battery voltage, being that it's a 2019 it has probably been sitting around for a while so it's possible the voltage is down or the bat has gone bad. These rigs are sensitive to the battery condition. Maybe put a trickle charger on it overnight and see how it acts the next day.

B

BackwoodsBashOffroad

Nov 4, 2019
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X
Check the battery voltage, being that it's a 2019 it has probably been sitting around for a while so it's possible the voltage is down or the bat has gone bad. These rigs are sensitive to the battery condition. Maybe put a trickle charger on it overnight and see how it acts the next day.
I will check that! Thank you!!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Mine did something very similar although I didn't notice any knocking. Hot start idle rough and sometimes died when taking off. My (temporary) remedy was to start, rev to about 2500-3000 for a few seconds to clear it out, let it return to idle and then put it in gear and it ran perfect until the next hot start (cold or warm starts have never been an issue). I never tried just letting it idle for a little bit to see if it would clear out by itself (I am not that patient).

Not sure what it was, it for the most part stopped happening for the past 400 or so miles. The weather has cooled down below the mid 70's so I am not sure if it has resolved itself or doesn't do it in the cooler weather. The hotter outside it was, the worse it seemed to be.

I was thinking a possible fuel boil or vapor lock type issue near the injectors and revving it clears it out and builds the fuel pressure back to normal but that is pure speculation. Knocking can be caused by a lean condition so that adds to this theory in my opinion.

B

BackwoodsBashOffroad

Nov 4, 2019
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X
Mine did something very similar although I didn't notice any knocking. Hot start idle rough and sometimes died when taking off. My (temporary) remedy was to start, rev to about 2500-3000 for a few seconds to clear it out, let it return to idle and then put it in gear and it ran perfect until the next hot start (cold or warm starts have never been an issue). I never tried just letting it idle for a little bit to see if it would clear out by itself (I am not that patient).

Not sure what it was, it for the most part stopped happening for the past 400 or so miles. The weather has cooled down below the mid 70's so I am not sure if it has resolved itself or doesn't do it in the cooler weather. The hotter outside it was, the worse it seemed to be.

I was thinking a possible fuel boil or vapor lock type issue near the injectors and revving it clears it out and builds the fuel pressure back to normal but that is pure speculation. Knocking can be caused by a lean condition so that adds to this theory in my opinion.
The weather here since I've been driving it hasn't crested 70 yet. It was roughly 45 degrees the one day I've been able to actually ride it, which is when the problem showed itself. Thank you for the insight! I'm used to diesels so this world is new to me.

B

BackwoodsBashOffroad

Nov 4, 2019
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X
You wouldn't happen to know the threshold for B+ while running, would you? I assume its around 13.5v, but I want to make sure.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
You wouldn't happen to know the threshold for B+ while running, would you? I assume its around 13.5v, but I want to make sure.
From the service manual...

First check the battery (Ignition OFF). Fully charged is 13 to 13.2 volts at 68 degrees. If below 12.3 volts then recharge before doing anything.

Charging Voltage is engine fully warmed up Headlights ON (low/high not specified) and at 5,000 RPM and test at the battery. It is a rather strange formula...

Battery Voltage < Charging Voltage < 15.5 Volts.

In other words, Charging must be greater than static Battery volts but less than 15.5 volts.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I would expect charging voltage to be in the 14-14.5v range. This would be at the specified rpm with the lights on as @PaulF stated. Since the lights are LED the draw is probably very close whether on high or low.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If the battery voltage is low you should charge overnight, measure then let it sit another night and measure again to make sure the battery is holding.

B

BackwoodsBashOffroad

Nov 4, 2019
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X
From the service manual...

First check the battery (Ignition OFF). Fully charged is 13 to 13.2 volts at 68 degrees. If below 12.3 volts then recharge before doing anything.

Charging Voltage is engine fully warmed up Headlights ON (low/high not specified) and at 5,000 RPM and test at the battery. It is a rather strange formula...

Battery Voltage < Charging Voltage < 15.5 Volts.

In other words, Charging must be greater than static Battery volts but less than 15.5 volts.
Noted! Thank you!

B

BackwoodsBashOffroad

Nov 4, 2019
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X
If the battery voltage is low you should charge overnight, measure then let it sit another night and measure again to make sure the battery is holding.
Thank you! I'll check battery voltage tonight. If low, I'll charge it!

B

BackwoodsBashOffroad

Nov 4, 2019
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X
Found the problem! It only took me 120 miles and the first service to find it. One of the spark plug porcelain was broke. She runs way better than I anticipated! Thanks for all the input and advice!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Found the problem! It only took me 120 miles and the first service to find it. One of the spark plug porcelain was broke. She runs way better than I anticipated! Thanks for all the input and advice!
Thanks for the update!

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab

321talon

Apr 4, 2021
Fl
Ownership

1. Talon R
Had a similar issue changed the sparkplugs all is good now sometimes its the simple stuff that gets overlooked

Reactions: CID
VonHarvester

VonHarvester

Jan 2, 2021
South central lower MI
Ownership

1. 520

2. Talon X
I had a similar issue with my X at about the 700 mile mark. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that my problem was caused by the IAC valve. I have a factory service manual which told me how to change this part which wasn't really too difficult. That seems to have cured my problem and all idle issues are gone.

Reactions: Udaman and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!