P1000 2020 1000-3 Starting process seems to be worsening

kaspar139

kaspar139

May 10, 2021
Conroe, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Overview: I have a 2020 1000-3 with a single battery setup, has minimal accessories (none of which are on by default and are all key-on). The vehicle is attached to a battery tender when not in use. The fuel is fresh, not stale.

Symptoms: When turning the machine on, the starter appears to fire repeatedly over and over and over until eventually turning over and the motor fires up. The length of time to start seems be worsening, duration getting longer. I will have to time it, but I feel like I am going to burn up the starter if I keep the key turned.

My Question: Does this sound like a starter issue likely? Spark plugs? Other options? It's not a "new" issue, but a progressive degradation. I have taken it to Honda annually for service, but have not yet done that this summer.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Reactions: TxDoc
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Overview: I have a 2020 1000-3 with a single battery setup, has minimal accessories (none of which are on by default and are all key-on). The vehicle is attached to a battery tender when not in use. The fuel is fresh, not stale.

Symptoms: When turning the machine on, the starter appears to fire repeatedly over and over and over until eventually turning over and the motor fires up. The length of time to start seems be worsening, duration getting longer. I will have to time it, but I feel like I am going to burn up the starter if I keep the key turned.

My Question: Does this sound like a starter issue likely? Spark plugs? Other options? It's not a "new" issue, but a progressive degradation. I have taken it to Honda annually for service, but have not yet done that this summer.

Any thoughts appreciated!
How many miles & Hrs? How much idling slow driving do you do?
My guess without knowing the above would be fouled plugs.
If you can load up a video of you starting it to youtube , copy and paste here would also help bunches

Reactions: kaspar139 and TxDoc
kaspar139

kaspar139

May 10, 2021
Conroe, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Relatively low miles (518)/hours (67). Not much idling/slow driving by my standards but perhaps for some it's slow. On property don't get much over 20 mph, in the neighborhood under 30 mph.

Will get a video and post.

Reactions: Remington and TxDoc
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
On property don't get much over 20 mph
That low milage and low mph Id at least pull the plugs and check them. Post a pic of them.
Those iridium plugs are good but they like to run hot to keep them clean. Once I took mine to the cabin to be a farm rig and low speeds as you i ran into the same issue. Changed the plug and boom! Also, take a look at that air filter. I know u guys get dusty there. Dosnt take much to dirty them up and make it run like $hit. Check all these simple thingsbof your list first or u will beat yourself up later when it ends up being the 90% simple thing

Reactions: kaspar139