P1000 2021 1000-3 vs 1000-5: Best Choice

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the base model 3 and love it. Wife rides about once a week in warmer weather to walk the dog and pick berries but it’s me and a hunting buddy most of the time. The 3 is a little cheaper to enclose and if you don’t enclose it I can’t really see the bed staying completely dry. Bed capacity between the two is pretty much the same.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to wait on the 1000-5 Deluxe to show up (eventually). Even if I'll rarely use the rear seats, well, they will be there.

Last edited:
05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You, like me, are not a young man anymore. The addition of the Fox shocks are a night and day difference over the 1000-5 ride quality. That being said, I got the 1000-5 for the covered storage in the bed but will be upgrading the shocks someday. As mentioned here before, I access the bed thru my side doors more than the tailgate. Both are exceptional machines capable of any task you should throw at them.

Sarbuck

Sarbuck

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the P1000-5 for the seats when needed, and full roof, which protects rear passengers, dogs, gear, etc. I also agree with others that loading and unloading is much easier through the side doors compared to the tailgate. One other item to consider...do you have dogs? If you do, or plan to, loading them through the side doors is fast and easy from either side, and they are out of the rain with the full roof.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i just saw an ad for a 2021 deluxe 5 from the same dealer i got mine from in 2019.it's now 5 thousand more.that's more than they were asking for the 2019 le.o_O
Local dealer in the Kansas City area had a 2020 deluxe 1000-5 listed for $24,999, it had maybe $2k in options on it, its gone now. Same dealer has a 2016 1000-5 listed for $17,999.

Reactions: Lady01 and Vikes79
colin215213

colin215213

Old Hippie
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My dogs ride in the bed of my 1000-5 deluxe. No bed cover on P3 is deal breaker for me.

Reactions: Lady01
sheamus

sheamus

Supporting Member
Oct 8, 2021
Bridgewater, NS
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
22,500 cdn.w/o tax.
What is the dealer charging for fees? My local one here in NS wants $1650 on top of MSRP + the ridiculous tax here. In some ways it makes it easy, but I don't have to shop around for best price, every wants full MSRP. I am just curious if the shortage has caused dealers to start gouging on dealer fees. I had to go on a wait list for a 2022. They didn't need a deposit yet, so was pretty safe to do so.

Also, bases on your handle, I suspect we have the same first name.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I am just curious if the shortage has caused dealers to start gouging on dealer fees.
I've bought ATVs and motorcycles from the same Ohio dealership since 2010. They NEVER charge the freight/destination fee ($895 for Honda right now), they NEVER charge dealer prep/assembly fees ($~400 and up at most places I've called) and their documentation fee is only $95 ($200+ at most places I've called). The 2021 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe I put a $500 refundable deposit on back in SEP is priced at MSRP ($18,299). So while many dealers ARE gouging not only on markup but on dealer fees as well, not all are.

R

rickoshea

my handle is completely made up.my first name is actually irish but my last name is french canadian going back many,many generations.dealer fees are currently $1795frt/pdi and $295 doc fees
Also, bases on your handle, I suspect we have the same first name.

Last edited:
sheamus

sheamus

Supporting Member
Oct 8, 2021
Bridgewater, NS
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
my handle is completely made up.my first name is actually irish but my last name is french canadian going back many,many generations.dealer fees are currently $1795frt/pdi and $295 doc fees
Good to know. Ahh, I figured based on your handle that you were another Shea.

Cheers.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've bought ATVs and motorcycles from the same Ohio dealership since 2010. They NEVER charge the freight/destination fee ($895 for Honda right now), they NEVER charge dealer prep/assembly fees ($~400 and up at most places I've called) and their documentation fee is only $95 ($200+ at most places I've called). The 2021 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe I put a $500 refundable deposit on back in SEP is priced at MSRP ($18,299). So while many dealers ARE gouging not only on markup but on dealer fees as well, not all are.
My dealer operates the same way. No freight or destination fee, no prep or assembly fee. I also gave $500 down and he said it is refundable. Priced right at msrp. This is the same dealer I bought two brand new Fourtrax 300's back in 1994. Still have one of them. Bulletproof.

Reactions: Lady01 and toddvdh
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
This is the same dealer I bought two brand new Fourtrax 300's back in 1994. Still have one of them. Bulletproof.
I've since sold all the motorcycles I bought from them (kinda hard to ride a two-wheeler with a full prosthetic leg), but I still have my 2014 Grizzly 700 EPS I got from them 7+ years ago. That thing is beyond bulletproof as well.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Let me preface this by saying, yes, I fully understand that HOW you want or need to use your UTV is the likely (or should be!) a major factor in which model you would choose. So, background:

1. Kids are gone. Youngest of 6 just got shipped out to Michigan State University for her freshman year. We have grandkids, but they don't come over that often due to the miles between us.
  2. While I always say, "But maybe our friends will get a SxS and travel with us", I know the reality is, that won't be very often. In fact, my best friend and I both purchased 2014 Grizzly 700 EPS ATVs brand new. I had a cabin up north, so the ATV lived up there in the summer and down home in the winter (I plow snow with it down here). Even though they literally lived across the street from us for ~15 years, the only came up north (3 hour drive) once in two years. So ... we never "rode the trails" together as expected.
  3. I live on a lake. I will likely put a plow system, heater and full cab on the Pioneer, then sell the Grizzly + plow setup.
  4. I'm a 55 YO above knee amputee. K3 to K4 (that means I'm a pretty damn active amputee). My wife isn't really an "outdoorsie" person, and most certainly is not a winter person (her favorite winter sport is "coming in out of the cold").
  5. I also see using it around the lake property (3/4 acre), as we currently use an older electric golf cart with a seat that folds down to a bed on the back.

So here's where I am: I have two deposits on two machines, both 2021 Pioneer 1000's. Once is a 1000-5 Deluxe in Vapor White and the other is a 1000-3 Special Edition. I need to decide which one I want, as one is scheduled to ship in less than 2 weeks, while the other is scheduled to ship end of OCT or early NOV. This is, of course, as long as one or the other (or both) don't get delayed. Regardless, timing is not an issue -- I'm in no rush.

I'm not looking for Deluxe vs SE comments, as there's a recent thread on here that covers that.

What I'm looking at is: Based on what I've outlined as my needs/wants, what would you do if your needs/wants were the same? Would the 3 seater be better due to the larger, more accessible bed? Or buy the 5 just because you never know"?

I'm not really worried about resale value, so that's not really a consideration. Just curious what others thoughts are, largely on the 1000-3 vs 1000-5 decision.

Thanks!
For your usage I'd buy the 3 seat, full cab is going to be better. Heat retention in winter will be better, going to be noticeably quieter, better vision backing up while plowing and a larger bed.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!