BOX1

2021 Talon i4x loud random clinking noise

J

Jodyvaughn1963

Nov 21, 2020
Radford, VA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
This noise has happened 4 times in 116 miles. First time was backing out of my garage while turning slightly, it was 2 or 3 short loud clinks that felt like the clutches releasing or the rear differential adjusting, I'm not sure but I am sure Honda would not make a product that would do this. I have checked all lubricant levels everything is correct. Note: it has never made the sound more than one time in a day and always in the morning. Please advise.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
There is no "adjusting" for the rear diff to do, its locked solid.
Questions....
Is it always the same speed?
Only in reverse?
Only while turning?

If its your first vehicle with a dual clutch set up it can take some getting used to, they can seem noisy & clunky, especially at low speeds.

Reactions: Mudwing
J

Jodyvaughn1963

Nov 21, 2020
Radford, VA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Sorry I have only noticed it once in reverse going slow while turning , twice going forward in low while turning slightly but the one that worries me was when riding with myself and 3 other adults in low gear going down steep rocky grade it clunked 3 quick times loud! So I stopped put in high to finish the grade inspected the unit everything looked okay so we continued, I tried to get it to do it again but didn't do it the rest of the day in low or high

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I would double check your shift cable just to make sure. It doesn't totally sound like that's your problem but I would check it anyway. Otherwise it could be a pop from your rear axles.

Reactions: 906UP and Farmer
J

Jodyvaughn1963

Nov 21, 2020
Radford, VA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
It seems to do it when it's not warmed up totally I'll have replicated the same thing and with a different result it doesn't do it

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I would double check your shift cable just to make sure. It doesn't totally sound like that's your problem but I would check it anyway. Otherwise it could be a pop from your rear axles.
This^^^^
Check the shifter cable adjustment, if you need i can send you the page from the service manual tonight, just shoot me a PM with your email

Reactions: Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!