BOX1

2021 talon x, things i have found wrong.

Sandsurfer

Sandsurfer

Feb 23, 2022
NM
Ownership

1. Talon X
This site has been a real asset for knowledge on this talon, so firstly thank you all for that.

I have 9 miles on my talon lol. So far my riding season has been non existent but hopefully that will change soon. I have been through this honda top to slowly bottom and here is my list of things that I have found done wrong.

-2 bolts on skid plate that were loose and I found were stripped.

- ground point under seat all wires are loose.

- I found a whole bunch of leftover bolts and screws that were caught in the upper side of the skid plate. (Funny story there, a friend also with a 21 talon x found a torque wrench on top of his skid plate from original assembly).

-steering wheel canted to the left about 15 degrees. It does not pull to one side at all but yet to drive straight, the wheel is turned left.

-bits of the wire feed weld where a weld was started and then must have abruptly stopped. The welds are complete where needed, but there is wire left unwelded attached to the frame in one spot. Overall the welds on the frame are sub par for what honda should be putting out.

That's it so far, next will be to check fluids. I am fairly disappointed in the quality control overall.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I am fairly disappointed in the quality control overall.
This is nothing new since 20’ unfortunately. All manufactures have these issues. You can thank the Scamdemic. Search this up top and youll see Theres been a few threads on this.

One things for certain, you need to get that thing out and ride it!
Only 9 miles! 🤨

Did you take any pics of this stuff you found?

Sandsurfer

Sandsurfer

Feb 23, 2022
NM
Ownership

1. Talon X
I did not know that was common knowledge. I took a couple photos of some poorly fitted body trim parts that I corrected shortly after. I took a photo of the ground before I tightened that. The ground really makes me angry because there is no excuse for that and it could have really caused me trouble. Today I bought new hardware for the skid plate so that's been fixed. I still have to adjust the steering wheel. I'm not sure yet what's involved with that.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
......... I still have to adjust the steering wheel. I'm not sure yet what's involved with that.
I had to do the same on my 2016 P5 and 2019 T1Kx, it's nothing new and about a 5 min fix if you're slow about doing it. Pop the center cap, remove nut, give the wheel a jerk, align and reassemble, done

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I still have to adjust the steering wheel. I'm not sure yet what's involved with that.
There have been a lot of Talons delivered with the steering rack not centered, the wheel not installed centered to the rack and/or the toe not set so don't just pop the wheel and center it or adjust the tie rods to center it.

Follow this thread to properly verify that the rack is centered (and adjust if necessary), then center the wheel to the rack if necessary, then adjust the toe if necessary...

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
OK thanks Paul I will try to follow those instructions.
The link in my sig will take you to some basic Talon information if you haven’t seen it. It’s also a sticky in the General Talon 1000 Discussion forum making it easier to find. Check your sub trans fluid level, both of mine were delivered low (8 and 10 oz. of 35 oz. low IIRC :mad: ). I don’t have my manual handy so I’m not positive on the full capacity. 😊

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Great information. Thanks Sandsurfer for the extra work for club members. One question - when you retightened any bolts, did you happen to go to the Honda Talon Service Manual and tighten them to the Honda manual torque requirements? I just thought this might be a hard data point to indicate how much the botls were loose. Just a thought.

Sandsurfer

Sandsurfer

Feb 23, 2022
NM
Ownership

1. Talon X
I did not. With the ground I tightened until no movement of said ground wire connections. With the skid plate I put on a drop of blue lock tite and tightened just to the point of no play between the skid plate and the metal attachment point that it is held against. I am ordering a service manual tonight though.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I did not. With the ground I tightened until no movement of said ground wire connections. With the skid plate I put on a drop of blue lock tite and tightened just to the point of no play between the skid plate and the metal attachment point that it is held against. I am ordering a service manual tonight though.
The service manual is money well spent and not all that expensive.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
If you become a supporting member it gives you access to more of the forum and with that access is manuals for any of the machines, that you can download!! Not pressuring you at all but the membership is cheaper than the cost of what you get with it!! Hope that helps!)

J

Jhall244

Supporting Member
Apr 18, 2023
NE ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
If you become a supporting member it gives you access to more of the forum and with that access is manuals for any of the machines, that you can download!! Not pressuring you at all but the membership is cheaper than the cost of what you get with it!! Hope that helps!
Owners manual or actual Honda service manual?

Reactions: Smitty335
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!