Hands on Review of the new 2023 Honda Talon 1000 R4

H

HondaTech

You guys don't think that it wouldn't be pushing or pulling since the hub is essentially attached to the axle with the nut?

Maybe I'm just not that smart🤷🏻‍♂️

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
You guys don't think that it wouldn't be pushing or pulling since the hub is essentially attached to the axle with the nut?

Maybe I'm just not that smart🤷🏻‍♂️
I can't think of any reason to use a helical cut spline if they weren't trying to direct the force inward. But I ain't no engineer either. ☺️

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
re-phrasing from someone smarter.
It's made helical in order to reduce the clearances in the splines.
This should reduce the small movements in the hub causing the torque loss.
Direction is not a concern as the bigger nut should take care of that.
The downside, it will be harder and more confusing for a trail-side repair.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
re-phrasing from someone smarter.
It's made helical in order to reduce the clearances in the splines.
This should reduce the small movements in the hub causing the torque loss.
Direction is not a concern as the bigger nut should take care of that.
The downside, it will be harder and more confusing for a trail-side repair.
Thanks for the follow up. 👍

These are just loose leaf thoughts, similar to the ones I posted earlier, just OCD pondering why the change was made (but not arguing with it).

Not being a gear engineer, I wonder if the helical cut is like the photo I posted above or simply the cut of the spline teeth themselves - maybe a more rounded, better fitting tooth engagement, not a spiral cut? It's been said some of the SxSs have straight cut gears in the differential, for instance. @906UP ?

"Reducing the small movements in the hub causing torque loss" - LOL, leave it to a well educated engineer to overthink a nonissue IMO. They should spend that time and money on an effective air intake system. :eek:

"Direction ... bigger nut" - 🤔

"Harder and more confusing" - Hmmmm ...

Anyway, thanks again ... :cool:

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks for the follow up. 👍

These are just loose leaf thoughts, similar to the ones I posted earlier, just OCD pondering why the change was made (but not arguing with it).

Not being a gear engineer, I wonder if the helical cut is like the photo I posted above or simply the cut of the spline teeth themselves - maybe a more rounded, better fitting tooth engagement, not a spiral cut? It's been said some of the SxSs have straight cut gears in the differential, for instance. @906UP ?

"Reducing the small movements in the hub causing torque loss" - LOL, leave it to a well educated engineer to overthink a nonissue IMO. They should spend that time and money on an effective air intake system. :eek:

"Direction ... bigger nut" - 🤔

"Harder and more confusing" - Hmmmm ...

Anyway, thanks again ... :cool:
In tha automotive world they will put helical splines between 2 gears on 1 shaft that should never come apart again, but it's not enough to notice with the naked eye. We're talking a helix of 1.5° or so, one side (the hub) would be cut straight, 0°, while the axle stub might have a 0.5° helix. When bolted together it "locks" due to the interference between the too helix angles. It works great but can be a b1tch to take apart.....need a BFH!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
In tha automotive world they will put helical splines between 2 gears on 1 shaft that should never come apart again, but it's not enough to notice with the naked eye. We're talking a helix of 1.5° or so, one side (the hub) would be cut straight, 0°, while the axle stub might have a 0.5° helix. When bolted together it "locks" due to the interference between the too helix angles. It works great but can be a b1tch to take apart.....need a BFH!
I think this is what we will be dealing with.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R

This definitely sounds like the most logical answer. Honestly, I always thought the hub came off way to easy once the axle nut and caliper were off. In automotive applications at the very least you need a slide hammer but most of the time it's usually a press out/in affair.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I'm still debating on picking one up. I need to sell my Pioneer 1000-5 first, its waiting on a few parts to make it 100% for the new owner.
Once thats done, I will start looking.
Going to add a bench seat in the back to seat my 3 kids.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I'm still debating on picking one up. I need to sell my Pioneer 1000-5 first, its waiting on a few parts to make it 100% for the new owner.
Once thats done, I will start looking.
Going to add a bench seat in the back to seat my 3 kids.
It's a tax write off! You need one for "business" purposes to R&D.... You actually need 2, then I can test the products in a different environment ;).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!