Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
2023 HONDA TALON 1000R 4 FLV MEDIA INTRO AL6 8636

Mid July, Honda flew us out to MidAmerica Outdoors in Jay Oklahoma to test drive the new 2023 Honda Talon 1000R4. Upon arriving at the venue, we were presented with a dozen shiny new Talon 1000R4s, as well as cars sponsored by Honda Factory Racing and RaceCo USA. We spent time exploring and pondering over these vehicles. Detailed pictures are available at the link below.

LINK --> Photo Gallery of the Talon 1000 R4
LINK --> RACECO Talon 1000 Race Team Machine Photo Drop.
LINK -->
Proctor Race Teams Honda Talon 1000 photo drop.

After dinner, we attended a full presentation of the new R4, which you can watch below. Several representatives from Honda covered the full details of its design and the reasoning for the changes made to this model. Most notably the R part, meaning a wider stance than the previous Talon x4. You can watch the slide presentation below.

Breaking down the TWO - 2023 Talon model lines.... (Yes, they are different!!!)

Before we get too deep, I think it's important we break down the full current 2023 line as these changes do not apply to them all. Without this understanding of the differences, you can easily be misled about which unit has these updates and which does not.

Preview 928x522 2Preview 928x522 1

2023 Talon "S" Models...... (shown above)
In February, Honda announced the 2023 Honda Talon "S" model. This model was specially released to help relieve backlogged build inventory, supplies, and older 2022 parts held up due to ongoing Covid-19 issues. Honda said the "S" models were built to exactly 2022 model year specs. This allowed for more units to hit the market before the official 2023 Talon models were ready to be released. This "S" line will most likely be washed out in 2024 once all the backlogged 2022 parts are exhausted.
NOTE: For the sake of confusion, any reference to a Talon "S" model should be considered a 2022 unit by design.

Preview 928x522 4Preview 928x522 3

2023 Talon 1000 - not "S" models (shown above)
Released in early June, The new 2023 Honda Talon 1000 LV (not "S") models delivered a host of changes and updates to the Talon line. Including the anticipated Talon 1000R4. Currently, this updated Talon is only available in Live Valve to include the Talon 1000 R2LV, X2LV, X4LV, and R4LV. Honda mentioned releasing the updated non-LV models "at a later date" but we expect that to just be with the release of the 2024 models. Yet, if sales go well Honda may choose to introduce the updated non-LV models once the previous issues get resolved.

Updates, Changes, and New Features for the 2023 Honda Talon Line.​

Before we get too deep into the R4. let's discuss what's new with the 2023 Talon 1000 LV models.
  • NEW ESP UNIT
    • A new and updated ESP unit delivered 87% more torque assist than the previous models.
    • New "return to center" as previously seen with the 2022 Pioneer 1000-6 lineup. This allows for more effortless recovery when making sharp turns.
    • On-Center assists with gradient detection to deliver ultra-smooth turning in challenging environments.
  • Shorter Wheelbase - The wheelbase on the 2023 R2 model is two inches shorter than the 2022 R2.
    • This was accomplished by combining the X steering rack components with a shorter wheelbase.
  • 2-foot better-turning radius for the R2 vs the 2022 Talon R2.
    • This was accomplished by encompassing the X steering rack components combined with a shorter wheelbase.
  • Full coverage doors were introduced due to user feedback.
    • The new doors include storage pockets and cup holders. We found them to be very useful out on the trail.
  • New aluminum wheels.
  • New Kenda tires feature a thicker sidewall for increased protection from pinch flats.
  • Full-painted plastics with color-matched frame and suspension.
  • Sport mode now works in High OR Low. This is said to maximize responsiveness with moderate to heavy loads.
  • ROPS tubing thickness increased from 1.5mm to 2.3mm
  • New and stronger holding differential seals.
  • Helical Spline axles and hubs.
  • Axle nut is +2mm sizing over the 2022 my and updated torque specs.
    • Note: 2022 was increased +2mm over the 2021 my .
    • Recap: 2023 is +4mm axle nut upsizing over the <2021 my .
  • I4wd brake-traction control system updated for better function.
    • It was also mentioned the programming was improved for better oversize tire acceptance.
Availability and MSRP
R4 Live Valve available now - $25,799
X4 Live Valve available now - $24,799
R2 Live Valve available now - $23,499
X2 Live Valve available Mid-August - $22,499

What about the updated NON-Live Valve models?
Honda said the non-LV models would be announced and released "at a later date". It was unclear if "later" was this year. We expect these will be announced for 2024 as the "S" models are phased out.

2023 HONDA TALON 1000R 4 FLV MEDIA INTRO AL2 5468

Talon X4 vs R4 Notable specs.
Suspension Travel:

X4 - Front 14.4" - Rear 15"
R4 - Front 17.7" - Rear 20.1"

Wheelbase:
X4 - 116.4"
R4 - 118.7"

Width:
X4 - 64"
R4 - 68.1"

Weight:
X4 - 1,795 lbs.
R4 - 1,843 lbs.

Turning Radius:
X4 - 21.7 ft.
R4 -22.6 ft.

2023 HONDA TALON 1000R 4 FLV MEDIA INTRO AL2 4610

Now, Let's talk about test driving the NEW TALON 1000R4!!!!
We had the pleasure to run a few miles of trail around MidAmerica. Once we were able to cut loose, we noticed what a difference the power steering made. We expected to have trouble in some tight turns, but it seemed the R4 was able to make most of them with no issues. Owning a 2021 Talon R2, I know how big the turning radius was and I honestly can't say the R4 felt any wider. My R2 often required 2 hands to make a hard turn, especially on pavement, but with this 2023 R4, I was able to make the turns with ease due to the new power steering unit.

As for suspension, it has been known the current Talon X4 units ride better than the R2 units. This new R4 unit rides even better with the additional suspension and travel. The length of the unit helped with some of the roughness I experienced in the 2 seaters. Front or back seat this unit road well. Just like the current line, this machine is built to get up and go. The suspension excelled at higher speeds and was able to soak up many of the bumps and challenges we put it against. Taking a few hot laps around MidAmerica is where this machine was able to shine.

We noticed some shift point changes, with the clunkiness of shifting at lower speeds seemingly reduced. The Honda technician indicated that modifications were made to the shift points specifically to deliver improvements. These were welcome changes, as the jerkiness of the previous models was a drawback. The smoothness of the shifting added to the enjoyment of the test drive.

Overall, we expect an R4 in our garage before too long. Having a family, this machine would be a blast to take out for an adventure. And being a Honda, we are confident the right decision was made by choosing the 2023 Honda Talon R4.

2023 HONDA TALON 1000R 4 FLV MEDIA INTRO AL1 0408 2023 HONDA TALON 1000R 4 FLV MEDIA INTRO AL1 0688 2023 HONDA TALON 1000R 4 FLV MEDIA INTRO AL2 5465 2023 HONDA TALON 1000R 4 FLV MEDIA INTRO AL6 9656

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice write up Bossman! The R4 is the machine I think I want for my family as well. The P1K6 though is more likely to be the machine the family wants though. Looking forward to checking them out with the girls once they’re on local dealer lots.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Nice write up Bossman! The R4 is the machine I think I want for my family as well. The P1K6 though is more likely to be the machine the family wants though. Looking forward to checking them out with the girls once they’re on local dealer lots.
Thanks, been working on it for a hot minute now. lol.

I honestly liked the R4, Turning was a concern but after driving it and knowing how my R2 turns, I really didn't notice much difference. The length did get me off guard niping some trees as the tire was back further.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yep I spent 90% of my time in the rear seats. At 6'3" + I was very impressed with the ride comfort and vision from the rear seats. You will get wet when the boss busts down the creek with a vengeance!!!!🤣
The changes to the 23 model was a very welcome and noticeable thing. Honda is definitely listening to the coustomers to make the best product for a economical cost.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yep I spent 90% of my time in the rear seats. At 6'3" + I was very impressed with the ride comfort and vision from the rear seats. You will get wet when the boss busts down the creek with a vengeance!!!!🤣
The changes to the 23 model was a very welcome and noticeable thing. Honda is definitely listening to the coustomers to make the best product for a economical cost.
The RACECO machine, does the alternator take care of all charging? Pretty slick where they stored the extra alt belt.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The RACECO machine, does the alternator take care of all charging? Pretty slick where they stored the extra alt belt.
No. It's not a replacement for the stator. Just additional. And only works when rolling.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It was not hooked up on the machine they had there onsite. I think this would be used when they were running a second battery for high amp draw offroad lighting.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
  • Helical Spline axles and hubs.
  • Axle nut is +2mm sizing over the 2022 my and updated torque specs.
    • Note: 2022 was increased +2mm over the 2021 my .
    • Recap: 2023 is +4mm axle nut upsizing over the <2021 my .
The above is important info Talon owners need to make note of.
2019-2021 & 2022 axles and hubs will NOT fit the 2023.
Bearings show the same P#, so that tells me it may just be the axle and wheel hub that's different.
So, pack your tools accordingly for the axle nut socket size.

H

HondaTech

The above is important info Talon owners need to make note of.
2019-2021 & 2022 axles and hubs will NOT fit the 2023.
Bearings show the same P#, so that tells me it may just be the axle and wheel hub that's different.
So, pack your tools accordingly for the axle nut socket size.
19-22 Hubs are the same, nut/axle is the difference. This includes the Pioneer 1000 (16-22) as well.

If you have a 2022 axle and nut it will fit any 2019-2021 Talon and vice versa.

As long as the nut and axle match they will fit.

Now I'm very interested in seeing this Helical spline axle/hub. I'm going to take apart the first one I get in for service to what's going on.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Now I'm very interested in seeing this Helical spline axle/hub. I'm going to take apart the first one I get in for service to what's going on.

I can't imagine what benefit helical splines would have on an axle and why it would be needed. If you reverse does the axle try to push itself out of the hub? 🤣

H

HondaTech

I can't imagine what benefit helical splines would have on an axle and why it would be needed. If you reverse does the axle try to push itself out of the hub? 🤣

Unless they've figured out something with the ends breaking at the threads. Which was the reason for increasing the thread size on 22 models to begin with.

The 2023 nut torque has been increased to 156 ft-lbs

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I can see it being an advantage having the hub work itself toward the axle instead of loading the nut. This would require a left and right side axle. I understand that a straight spline does neither but both of my rear hubs were fretted to the bearing surface. One of the bearings split when I removed the hub and it took quite a bit of beating to get the hub removed.
I Rr4V2N6 X2

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If there locked together with a nut it wouldn't matter which way they were splined, correct?
A helical spline would be directional as far as I can figure. The reason for a helical cut would be as I assumed, to drive each hub toward the axle, not one inward and the other outward.

H

HondaTech

A helical spline would be directional as far as I can figure. The reason for a helical cut would be as I assumed, to drive each hub toward the axle, not one inward and the other outward.

Their not left and right according to the parts fiche.

If the hub is being attached with the nut then the helical part isn't pushing out on anything, right? Since the part it's splined to is spinning with it?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Their not left and right according to the parts fiche.
That blows my theory out of the water.
If the hub is being attached with the nut then the helical part isn't pushing out on anything, right? Since the part it's splined to is spinning with it?
I don't understand why they would put a helical cut on the splines if not to direct the hubs inward?

This is what I'm thinking -
Xlp52g12 1

Compared to what we have now (best photo I have) -
I xGqz4dN X2

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
That blows my theory out of the water.

I don't understand why they would put a helical cut on the splines if not to direct the hubs inward?

This is what I'm thinking -
View attachment 398575

Compared to what we have now (best photo I have) -
View attachment 398576
What I'm thinking also, but maybe not that dramatic.
Then I would expect L & R axles, but I just checked too and there not listed.
You wouldn't want it pushing itself off.
You would want it pulling itself in. right?
IDK.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!