BOX1

Talon Honda Talon 1000 First Ride Review - Sand Hollow Utah.

Andrew

Andrew

Feb 23, 2016
Louisville ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would assume the R would take more to bottom out due to the larger amount of suspension travel. But from what I've read and watched everyone says neither model bottoms easily.

For KY riding I'd probably go for an X model. Narrower for smaller trails and still plenty of travel for rough stuff.

I agree with everything you said however my question is more along the lines of not bottoming out but the difference between r and x of just how soft it is before you bottom out. I've watched every review video possible. Sxs Blog guys seemed to like the x suspension but they did say it was firm which is why it handles so flat. They also said the r has a little more body roll which makes me wonder if the r has a softer ride overall. Maybe due to it being a true dual rate spring setup with crossover ring. I was hoping @Hondasxs mightve noticed a difference while he test drove both. Btw i hope im explaing myself well.

Reactions: Rambo and sharp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Hondasxs - you mention you would choose the X over the R. What about the X did you specifically prefer over the R?
I felt the R was for more straight shot riding. There is no doubt it kicked ass in the whoops, fast riding and wide open trails with room to spare. I was surprised that it overshot some turns that I felt it should have handled. I have steering stops in my Pioneer stops so my turning radius is above standard but the R was still far off from that. The R performed very nice at high speed. I felt it did best at high speeds.

The X did well at high speeds too. In fact, it handled them great too. It really got to me the difference in cornering and how I was able to steer the X around so much easier. We did several figure 8 loops around a rock and sand bowl and that's when I could feel the difference.

Where I ride, we enjoy the trails, a dirt road for the R is not my style.
For the mud crew, the R may be the unit of choice as they tend to want wide and tall but for the trail riders that enjoy technical challenges other then straight up, the X is going to be the choice.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with everything you said however my question is more along the lines of not bottoming out but the difference between r and x of just how soft it is before you bottom out. I've watched every review video possible. Sxs Blog guys seemed to like the x suspension but they did say it was firm which is why it handles so flat. They also said the r has a little more body roll which makes me wonder if the r has a softer ride overall. Maybe due to it being a true dual rate spring setup with crossover ring. I was hoping @Hondasxs mightve noticed a difference while he test drove both. Btw i hope im explaing myself well.
The R most definitely had a softer ride. If your looking for a super plush ride the R is worth a hard look. The X was a bit stiffer but compared to the Pioneer they both were huge improvements. As for bottoming out, I can't say we did on either machine except for the "exciting" part of my review and I really don't think the R would have handled the jump any better as we were fairly high ass end up.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great review! Can you talk more about the shifting and throttle characteristics vs. the Pioneer? From what I've read out there it seems they are still jerky on/off throttle like the Pioneer. Does the quicker shifting help it feel any more smooth shifting through gears? I think you kind of answered that but wondering if you could give any more detail around that.

Also, I have to say after riding at Sand Hollow many times. Running 16 psi down there (reportedly) will rob your power asap. You wouldn't think so, but you spin so much more and just fight the sand so much more it makes the engine feel weak in the sand. Granted I have beadlocks, but on my P1000-5 I run around 6 psi in the soft sand. Sand hollow is a little different as there is varying terrain, but even if you could get down to 8psi or so it would really help the feel of the power. It helps it grip and move forward and keep momentum much better. Also stays on top of the sand. Although in the sand you can NEVER have too much power!
The jerkiness that a broke in Pioneer has on the throttle is still there, especially in low gear. It's so responsive to the throttle it almost could be a concern. One thing is for sure. When you mash it, it goes. Snap, snap, snap through the gears. I was well impressed with the DCT improvements. As for being in H and gearchange, there was an improvement over the Pioneer. It was smooth and in AT mode was almost seamless. In sport mode, I think it's designed to give you that oomph of a clutch style system.

Our rigs were at OEM specs on tire pressure. R @ 16, X @ 14 psi. I do think a wider footprint would have helped.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great review. Wish I was invited! I think the X will give the Paiute Trail a new name. Hope to see a bunch of them come through Marysvale this summer. See if they can keep up with my P-500! Sand Hallow is a fun place to visit early spring and late Fall. Watch out Can-Am and Polaris! (on sale now at your local Power Sport Dealer!)
The R would do great in Marysvale.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I felt the R was for more straight shot riding. There is no doubt it kicked ass in the whoops, fast riding and wide open trails with room to spare. I was surprised that it overshot some turns that I felt it should have handled. I have steering stops in my Pioneer stops so my turning radius is above standard but the R was still far off from that. The R performed very nice at high speed. I felt it did best at high speeds.

The X did well at high speeds too. In fact, it handled them great too. It really got to me the difference in cornering and how I was able to steer the X around so much easier. We did several figure 8 loops around a rock and sand bowl and that's when I could feel the difference.

For the mud crew, the R may be the unit of choice as they tend to want wide and tall but for the trail riders that enjoy technical challenges other then straight up, the X is going to be the choice.
That’s why I want to ask you as I know the trails we have done on overland and takeover Ie overland Windrock 14 I believe and Punchin camp trail

Last edited by a moderator:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
From all the videos and what’s been posted I think a lot of the take my money now I need 20” of travel types that ride heavy woods may be disappointed. Might be better to kick back and see what’s needed.
I’m wondering how many will be trading suspension either way shortly, nice thing will be it’s easy to do. Wonder what would happen with 2.5 in the X?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From all the videos and what’s been posted I think a lot of the take my money now I need 20” of travel types that ride heavy woods may be disappointed. Might be better to kick back and see what’s needed.
I’m wondering how many will be trading suspension either way shortly, nice thing will be it’s easy to do. Wonder what would happen with 2.5 in the X?

Probably going to be a 2020 Talon for me for a few reasons; to see what everyone’s opinion is of the two models, let Big H iron any wrinkles out, and for Big H and the aftermarket to add any widgets like they did for the P1000 after year 1. The Pioneer will do just fine for another year, if Big h doesn’t make any worthy changes I’ll see if I can maybe find a left over 2019.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member

@my99svt

Reactions: sharp and JTW
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Probably going to be a 2020 Talon for me for a few reasons; to see what everyone’s opinion is of the two models, let Big H iron any wrinkles out, and for Big H and the aftermarket to add any widgets like they did for the P1000 after year 1. The Pioneer will do just fine for another year, if Big h doesn’t make any worthy changes I’ll see if I can maybe find a left over 2019.
I’m right there with you. I wish I had waited a bit on the Pioneer but I had to have it. A little more reserved this time. Not going to rush 25k from the pocket. I do want one though, I’d love to have my own ride finally!

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If the Good Lord is willing, I have hopes of shooting for 2021 Talon.

G

GAC

Jan 28, 2019
Escondido, California
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Great review. Thanks for the details and answering follow up questions. I just went to see one in person and feel the fit and finish are very nice. I'm 6'4" (mostly legs) and while tight I fit just fine. I ride So Cal desert and it seems power might be on the lower end. Hoping the hop up shops come out with a tune and exhaust to bump up the power a bit.

S

swgiust

Oct 18, 2018
nebraska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
No bashing and don't want to start a flame war, but so far I don't see much that the $ 20,999 R has that the $ 16,999 XP1K doesn't have. I really would like to see a straight on comparison. Comparing the X to the R doesn't really count.

Reactions: JTW
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No bashing and don't want to start a flame war, but so far I don't see much that the $ 20,999 R has that the $ 16,999 XP1K doesn't have. I really would like to see a straight on comparison. Comparing the X to the R doesn't really count.
Ok, but let's be fair and use MSRP and not discounted pricing. The XP1k sold for full retail during its release so thats only fair.
With that said. The XP1k is listed at $18,599 add the roof to make it even comparison and it's $18,909.
A $2,090 difference is well worth the spend for the DCT.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ugh .......... how about a 12 speed transmission .... lol!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!