Testing the 2024 Talon 1000 with SHOWA Shocks at HammerTown USA.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This seems to be incredibly common with the Fox shocks. I've seen it in all the SxS forums (PooPoo, Canned-HAm, 🌈, etc.). So common that I'm starting to see more and more aftermarket companies advertising stainless shock body sleeves.
Fixed it for Ya! 😉

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
This seems to be incredibly common with the Fox shocks. I've seen it in all the SxS forums (Popo, Can-Am, Kawie, etc.). So common that I'm starting to see more and more aftermarket companies advertising stainless shock body sleeves.

Aftermarket springs from ST seem to compound the problem even more. It doesn't seem to happen as fast or as bad with Eibach or ZBroz springs, but the problem is still there.

I see guys jumping in saying that the springs must be clocked wrong, but it seems it happens no matter how they're clocked.

You can clock crappy springs in any orientation you want and they are still going to bow under compression.

We have been dealing with this issue in the rock crawling and U4 worlds for years and high quality springs are the only way to fix it without band-aids like stainless shock sleeves.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
You can clock crappy springs in any orientation you want and they are still going to bow under compression.

We have been dealing with this issue in the rock crawling and U4 worlds for years and high quality springs are the only way to fix it without band-aids like stainless shock sleeves.
exactly - out of all the dirt bikes\sxs\atv in life - the only springs that ever rubbed were the low buck shocks on atvs and a UHMW or similar sleeve are on those

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
exactly - out of all the dirt bikes\sxs\atv in life - the only springs that ever rubbed were the low buck shocks on atvs and a UHMW or similar sleeve are on those
bottom line - nothing has changed since I bought my first dirt bike 45 years ago - just plan on dumping more cash out when buying a Talon - will need to be set up by the shock pro’s that have the brains and knowledge

are the shows better than the QS3 - have to be - those were horrible at best outta the box

in all reality they are about 10 years behind the Polaris gurus - sad

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
bottom line - nothing has changed since I bought my first dirt bike 45 years ago - just plan on dumping more cash out when buying a Talon - will need to be set up by the shock pro’s that have the brains and knowledge

are the shows better than the QS3 - have to be - those were horrible at best outta the box

in all reality they are about 10 years behind the Polaris gurus - sad

I'll take the easily fixable issues of the fully adjustable Fox QS3 shock over a shock that has zero preload or crossover adjustment any day of the week and if I bought a brand new Talon R tomorrow with Showa shocks I'd be swapping my Fox's on before I even rode it.

Another thing that needs to be factored into this conversation is shock OD. Doesn't the Talon R use bigger OD shocks vs the X model or at least used to before the latest Showa stuff came around?

A light rate coil spring meant for a 2.0 body shock will bow easier than the same rate and length spring would if it were for a 2.5 or 3.0 size shock body. It's like science and stuff... 😆

Reactions: ChadD and Backwoods
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
And by fully adjustable I mean high and low speed compression dampening just like those Showa shocks have and the added benefits of preload and crossover adjustment.

Those new Showa shocks are useless in my world.

Reactions: Backwoods
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X