BOX1

2022 1000-5 shutting off at 4500rpm

rpfeifer11

rpfeifer11

Feb 1, 2023
Mt.Pleasant PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2022 1000-5 not running after washing it. I tried pretty much everything suggested on Facebook without luck but narrowed the issue down a little. Itll idle and ride as much as you want below 4500rpm but won’t run at all above 4500 rpm. Doesn’t matter if it’s in neutral or any gear. Does the same thing it just stalls and the check engine light comes on. I had a lot of responses about maybe taking water in while washing through the gas tank breather but the breather hose was dry when I took it off at the tank and it’s not breaking up at all when it’s idling. Seems like an electrical issue to me. I also checked the air filter and it was dry. Took the bigger electrical connections apart under the drivers seat and dried the ones that had a little bit of water in them but no changes. Figured I’d try once more before taking it to the dealer. Thank You

1F35BF51 3313 4F9F A9FD AAB3E583E3C0

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
2022 1000-5 not running after washing it. I tried pretty much everything suggested on FACETURD without luck but narrowed the issue down a little. Itll idle and ride as much as you want below 4500rpm but won’t run at all above 4500 rpm. Doesn’t matter if it’s in neutral or any gear. Does the same thing it just stalls and the check engine light comes on. I had a lot of responses about maybe taking water in while washing through the gas tank breather but the breather hose was dry when I took it off at the tank and it’s not breaking up at all when it’s idling. Seems like an electrical issue to me. I also checked the air filter and it was dry. Took the bigger electrical connections apart under the drivers seat and dried the ones that had a little bit of water in them but no changes. Figured I’d try once more before taking it to the dealer. Thank You

View attachment 372426
Fixed it for ya! ☝️ ;)

Welcome from the Putrid Swamp Run Michigan!

Nice rig! Go Army Green!
A few things before we get started, theres a search up at the top of the screen, always check your problem with multiple different words first cuz were know a thing or two cuz weve seen a thing or two! Lol

But we’ll help u a bit with this one….
You washed it! And the issue occurred You most likely have some moisture in some of your molex connectors and or in your CPU very common when folks wash them real good! You need to dry that puppy out REAL GOOD EVERY WHICH WAS OF SUNDAY before you can go any further! Also, check your air filter and make sure its not saturated. Do that, then come back and let us know! Dont leave us hanging!

R

RedorDead

Jan 3, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How long had it been since the wash? Hours; days? Point being how much time for drying.

Is it or can it be parked in a dry low humidity environment? It’s likely water in a connection somewhere.

Was a pressure washer involved? I ask because if water got in from a low pressure wash, I’d be wondering when it might recur just from driving in the wet. In which case identifying the specific culprit would matter to me.

rpfeifer11

rpfeifer11

Feb 1, 2023
Mt.Pleasant PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How long had it been since the wash? Hours; days? Point being how much time for drying.

Is it or can it be parked in a dry low humidity environment? It’s likely water in a connection somewhere.

Was a pressure washer involved? I ask because if water got in from a low pressure wash, I’d be wondering when it might recur just from driving in the wet. In which case identifying the specific culprit would matter to me
I washed it on Saturday. Was perfectly fine before the wash. Washed it with a pressure washer. I tried to ride it immediately after the wash and that’s when I realized there was an issue. It’s been in a heated garage since then.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yep, it sounds like you used a pressure washer and aimed the spray at the engine. It's an honest mistake but may be costly.

Modern engines like in our Honda 1000s are complex. They use electronic ignition and electronic fuel injection. Water and electronics don't mix well.

I'm just guessing here - your description suggests that something designed into the engine to kick in above 4500 rpm has been disable or damaged by water intrusion. Is there such a design feature? I have no idea. Just a guess.

Perhaps a Honda tech will see your post and offer informed advice.

I recommend you limit taking things apart to clean or dry components because it could cause more damage and you'll leave evidence which will make it more likely the dealer service department will determine you caused the problem. They won't be wrong.

If it were mine, I would trailer it to my dealer and tell them what happened. It would be unwise to lie to them.

Good luck.

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine ran stupid everytime i washed it. You probley got water in the tank.If theres a small amount it will clear by its self.A bunch probley not.Change out your vent line and be more careful washing dont let the kids wash it.Watch where you spray.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which codes are displayed on dash when engine dies? Can you upload a video to YouTube and share the link here? Nice 35-50 seconds video of the dash after it dies.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I washed it on Saturday. Was perfectly fine before the wash. Washed it with a pressure washer. I tried to ride it immediately after the wash and that’s when I realized there was an issue.
Exactly the point!

It’s been in a heated garage since then.
Mine is as well! Water in the nooks and cranies take a while to dissolve

would sugest when this is all done, get u some vent line extentions

rpfeifer11

rpfeifer11

Feb 1, 2023
Mt.Pleasant PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which codes are displayed on dash when engine dies? Can you upload a video to YouTube and share the link here? Nice 35-50 seconds video of the dash after it dies.
I’ll try to get a video tomorrow. When it dies the check engine light comes on but I’m not sure how to read the codes. The check engine light goes back out when I restart it.

rpfeifer11

rpfeifer11

Feb 1, 2023
Mt.Pleasant PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, it sounds like you used a pressure washer and aimed the spray at the engine. It's an honest mistake but may be costly.

Modern engines like in our Honda 1000s are complex. They use electronic ignition and electronic fuel injection. Water and electronics don't mix well.

I'm just guessing here - your description suggests that something designed into the engine to kick in above 4500 rpm has been disable or damaged by water intrusion. Is there such a design feature? I have no idea. Just a guess.

Perhaps a Honda tech will see your post and offer informed advice.

I recommend you limit taking things apart to clean or dry components because it could cause more damage and you'll leave evidence which will make it more likely the dealer service department will determine you caused the problem. They won't be wrong.

If it were mine, I would trailer it to my dealer and tell them what happened. It would be unwise to lie to them.

Good luck.
I have an appointment to drop it off at the dealer tomorrow so hopefully they can figure something out. I didn’t really think an off-road machine couldn’t be pressure washed but I guess I was wrong. I’ve had a few wolverines before this and currently have an rmax4 and all have had some serious washing done without issues. Guess I’ll just nickname this buggy “princess” 😂

R

RedorDead

Jan 3, 2023
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use pressure washers at times. It’s all about how close you get to certain things. Could also be a defective seal on a connector and not your fault at all. Better to have it happen at home than get wet and die out on the trail.

rpfeifer11

rpfeifer11

Feb 1, 2023
Mt.Pleasant PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use pressure washers at times. It’s all about how close you get to certain things. Could also be a defective seal on a connector and not your fault at all. Better to have it happen at home than get wet and die out on the trail.
Absolutely, I probably wouldn’t have cleaned it this good usually but it’s due for the 100 mile service and there’s nothing worse than working on it filthy. Hoping the dealer finds something stupid that I’m just missing. All the help is appreciated.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll try to get a video tomorrow. When it dies the check engine light comes on but I’m not sure how to read the codes. The check engine light goes back out when I restart it.
If the check engine light is flashing. Get that on video. It is long and short flashes. We can interpret it and let you know where to focus your attention.

rpfeifer11

rpfeifer11

Feb 1, 2023
Mt.Pleasant PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice try! You fixed it in your reply not mine 😂 Will give u a B for effort. Libs are a little slow in general we get that 🥳 You'll catch on eventually!😘
NoHomo…
Now I understand why people keep saying fixed it for ya. This is my first time on a forum since exriders probably 15 years ago. Taking some time to catch on.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have an appointment to drop it off at the dealer tomorrow so hopefully they can figure something out. I didn’t really think an off-road machine couldn’t be pressure washed but I guess I was wrong. I’ve had a few wolverines before this and currently have an rmax4 and all have had some serious washing done without issues. Guess I’ll just nickname this buggy “princess” 😂
JAH

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!