CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Speaking of the self-tapping screws. I just recently bought a used Pioneer and was crawling around under the thing and noticed that a few of the self-tapping screws were missing and others were loose. Turns out some of the tapped holes were stripped.
Is there a better way of attaching the skid plates? The screws are only attached to the frame which is not all that thick and tubular in places.
What can I do with the stripped-out holes? I hate to go with a bigger diameter screw and make these holes any bigger.
Short version (politely) - get over it, it’s a SxS, not a Bentley. :cool: The ‘perfect’ solution is to drill out each hole for a Rivnut or weld in Tee nut, both of which need bigger holes anyway.

Obtw: I had exactly your mentality when I was (much) younger but came to my senses eventually.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Speaking of the self-tapping screws. I just recently bought a used Pioneer and was crawling around under the thing and noticed that a few of the self-tapping screws were missing and others were loose. Turns out some of the tapped holes were stripped.
Is there a better way of attaching the skid plates? The screws are only attached to the frame which is not all that thick and tubular in places.
What can I do with the stripped-out holes? I hate to go with a bigger diameter screw and make these holes any bigger.
Nutsert or similar
Nomo

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Short version (politely) - get over it, it’s a SxS, not a Bentley. :cool: The ‘perfect’ solution is to drill out each hole for a Rivnut or weld in Tee nut, both of which need bigger holes anyway.

Obtw: I had exactly your mentality when I was (much) younger but came to my senses eventually.
Short version taken politely, and I know it's a sxs and treat it as such (even a looong time ago when I was young). I do however want the skid plates to stay attached. They won't do me any good if I leave them on a trail somewhere. :cool:
I will look into the options listed but looks like I would have to have something welded for the tube frame.

Reactions: Robobrainiac
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Short version taken politely, and I know it's a sxs and treat it as such (even a looong time ago when I was young). I do however want the skid plates to stay attached. They won't do me any good if I leave them on a trail somewhere. :cool:
I will look into the options listed but looks like I would have to have something welded for the tube frame.
The skid doesn’t care if it’s being held on by 6mm or 8mm self tappers.

Rivnuts and Nutserts install without welding. Rivnuts install like a Pop rivet, you’ll need the pliers; make sure the handles are short enough to fit under the buggy if you don’t have a lift or some such. Both will work in round tubing.

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The skid doesn’t care if it’s being held on by 6mm or 8mm self tappers.

Rivnuts and Nutserts install without welding. Rivnuts install like a Pop rivet, you’ll need the pliers; make sure the handles are short enough to fit under the buggy if you don’t have a lift or some such. Both will work in round tubing.
Yeah, I was just looking at them. I'm guessing the self tappers are 6mm, I'll have to check. 8mm could be a solution.
Thanks for the info 👍

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah, I was just looking at them. I'm guessing the self tappers are 6mm, I'll have to check. 8mm could be a solution.
Thanks for the info 👍
They‘re 6mm on a Talon but not sure on a P1K.

Reactions: Robobrainiac
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Skid plate bolts are 6mm (and NOT self tapping).
Everyone loves nut-serts but look at plus-nuts.

I would add gorilla grip glue - wait for the glue to dry before inserting the bolts.

Edit: I switched the link to the YouTube of most interest.

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used rivetnuts on my skid. It is time consuming but people on here really like it.

Post #83

Reactions: CID and WagginTail

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!