2022 Honda Talon 1000 4

H

Herkloader1

Nov 7, 2022
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just picked up my new Talon yesterday.
While at the dealership it kept dieing once it was put in gear.
They replaced the battery and all appeared to be good.
After a 12 hr round trip to pick it up.
We decided to take her out and get the break in done.
It ran great for the 20 miles we put on it. Even though I thought it started kinda hard.
Today I took it in to get the first service done on it.
All was good until they brought it out for me to load. Then Bam same issue as at the dealer yesterday.
Battery was dead.
They hit it with a quick charger and it started and ran for 15ft while the charger was still hooked up to it before it died again.
Ended up taking it to the local Honda dealer and they think it might be a bad Altenator.
Which was my thought that something on the charging side was bad.
Anyone else have this type of issue?
I have a 1000-5 2022 pioneer and love it. I put 1200 miles on it this winter innthe Dessert and mountains in southern az with now issues.
Kinda hoping I did not get a lemon with my Talon.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It ran great for the 20 miles we put on it. Even though I thought it started kinda hard.
All was good until they brought it out for me to load. Then Bam same issue as at the dealer yesterday.
Battery was dead.
They hit it with a quick charger and it started and ran for 15ft while the charger was still hooked up to it before it died again.
Ended up taking it to the local Honda dealer and they think it might be a bad Altenator.
I have a 1000-5 2022 pioneer and love it. I put 1200 miles on it this winter innthe Dessert and mountains in southern az with now issues.
Well buddy, looks like you got it to a good dealer to check it out. Id check the grounds myself. There known to come loose and loose from the factory. Yes u could have a bad alternator but its unlikely being new. Some service guys (im a service guy) tend to jump into the difficult BIG things first. And neglect to check off the easy stuff first which in most cases is the issue. Hope u get it resolved soon.

There helped you out lol.
Help us out and get some pics up of your two machines. All you have is a bald tire pic. Come on man! 🤣 POIDH!

H

HondaTech

So simple to check charging output on these. At idle the battery voltage should climb to around 14 volts. Even with a s*** battery.

I'd check the simple things first if the unit doesn't seem to be charging.

Regulator/Rectifiers have been unplugged upon arrival before, but its rare.

The stator is also easy to test. Output from each of the 3 pairs, then continuity to ground and each other.

Any dealer worth a f*** would've never let a brand new unit leave, let alone twice with these symptoms.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So simple to check charging output on these. At idle the battery voltage should climb to around 14 volts. Even with a s*** battery.

I'd check the simple things first if the unit doesn't seem to be charging.

Regulator/Rectifiers have been unplugged upon arrival before, but its rare.

The stator is also easy to test. Output from each of the 3 pairs, then continuity to ground and each other.

Any dealer worth a f*** would've never let a brand new unit leave, let alone twice with these symptoms.
Yup like i tell my new Generator techs… work smarter not harder!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Dear Lord thank you for the many blessing you have bestowed on us today. Lord please Bless each and please forgive each one of us heathens, we humbly pray. Good night NTC!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Battery was dead.
One of those digital voltmeters that plug into the cig plug will tell your voltage.

For example -

H

HondaTech

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I like to know source voltage, or volatge at the battery. Those plug in things can be off by a volt, in either direction.

There ok for reference but never rely on anything not directly reading voltage off the battery.
Yes I agree 100% good for reference only. I have customers that do stuff like that with there generator and think its the bible till i show them the actual in my diagnostics to true source.
Im sure @CID wasnt really going that direction.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes I agree 100% good for reference only. I have customers that do stuff like that with there generator and think its the bible till i show them the actual in my diagnostics to true source.
Im sure @CID wasnt really going that direction.
Thanks, Remi. Yeah, the guy needs a place to start, if the plug-in shows ~14 volts, it's not the stator.

H

Herkloader1

Nov 7, 2022
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They said it is a Stator.
I trust them about as far as I can throw them though after my previous experiences there.
So.e said I need to add some pics, so here ya go.

20230428 130236

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
We have had good luck with our 2022 Pioneer.
It had a crap alignment out of the box, but otherwise a great machine.
We put 1200 miles out in the desert and mountains on the Mexico border in AZ this winter.View attachment 387016
Pooch looks tired from using that shovel, give him some help!

H

Herkloader1

Nov 7, 2022
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dealer called today. They actually looked it over despite them thinking they knew what it was.
They had rush ordered a Stator and Voltage regulator.
Today while they where looking it over they saw the ground plug for the Voltage Regulator was just dangling and had never been plugged in at the factory.
So I will get my Talon back tomorrow and will be able to take her for a few rides before I head North to Montana for the Summer with her.
Thanks for all the inputs!

H

HondaTech

Dealer called today. They actually looked it over despite them thinking they knew what it was.
They had rush ordered a Stator and Voltage regulator.
Today while they where looking it over they saw the ground plug for the Voltage Regulator was just dangling and had never been plugged in at the factory.
So I will get my Talon back tomorrow and will be able to take her for a few rides before I head North to Montana for the Summer with her.
Thanks for all the inputs!

#calledthats***

Edit: You know what's even more f***ed up? In order for them to have "tested" the stator, they would've had to access the Regulator. Since the stator plug is directly connected to the Regulator. Definitely a bunch of parts hangers.

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
#calledthats***

Edit: You know what's even more f***ed up? In order for them to have "tested" the stator, they would've had to access the Regulator. Since the stator plug is directly connected to the Regulator. Definitely a bunch of parts hangers.
bet u hate being right

my hunch is also paid for dealer prep

hunch is dealer also claiming warranty $

interesting

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!