P1000 2023 P1K-5 Twisted Frame?

D

Dan-Squatch

Feb 9, 2024
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
good evening everyone,

So I have been in a warranty battle with my local dealership for the last 6ish months regarding the alignment of the rear wheels.
I had posted previously about some odd tire wear showing up on the inner half of the right rear tire. since then the Pioneer has gone bac to the dealership where they changed both upper and lower control arms along with the shock. As I feared all efforts were completely in vain ... nothing corrected the issue and I am left with a machine where the right rear tire is more than 3/4".
Now the dealer has come to the conclusion that the frame is tweaked or twisted in some way, and we are waiting for Honda Canada's response for the next steps. My dealer has confirmed that in 2023 there were a couple isolated cases of Rubicon quads coming off the assembly line twisted but nobody can confirm any issue with the Pioneers.

My question to you the almighty internet: has anyone seen anything like this before and how was it resolved?

If they offer a frame swap I don't think that I would trust my dealer to complete the task without creating more issues, plus I don't want to be without my machine for several more months. As of right now my Pioneer has sat at the dealer for a total of 14 weeks ... uncovered :mad:

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Did u ever take it in to a auto shop for a front end and 4 wheel alignment? Or did the dealer? I know you took some toe measurements looking back on your old posts but nothing seemed to come of it but some wild tire pressures you were running.
Ive searched and never seen any threads on a bent frame except someone doing somethings they werent suppose to beyond the rigs capabilities.
If they offer a frame swap I don't think that I would trust my dealer to complete the task without creating more issues
You may not have a choice with this!
I would think the labor for that warranty would not be in the best interest of Honda.
We have run into labor situations at work with Generators under warranty resulting in the company making a decision to replace the gen instead. Rare but has happened. Cant speak for Honda tho

D

Dan-Squatch

Feb 9, 2024
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It did go for a complete laser alignment at an auto shop, but since there isn't any adjustment for the rears they were only able to confirm my measurements with much better accuracy.
And for the record all my tires are down to 12psi now 😂

• Haha
Reactions: ChadD and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It did go for a complete laser alignment at an auto shop, but since there isn't any adjustment for the rears they were only able to confirm my measurements with much better accuracy.
And for the record all my tires are down to 12psi now 😂
Well the tire pressure is mostly a preference depending on where your riding and riding on.
But 12 is the average number and will help a UTV tire ware better.

As for there alignment, what did THEY come up with compared to the stealership?
What were there numbers prior and post and did there adjustment help any?

Reactions: ChadD
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
but since there isn't any adjustment for the rears
Yeah we are aware of that. Thats why a majority opt for aftermarket arms for many reasons including your situation.

Reactions: ChadD
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
this one is interesting..... I personally know of nobody that bought a car, truck, sxs, atv or motorcycle where the frame was confirmed to be twisted\bad/bent from the factory - but I’ve seen em hit stuff and bend stuff in the first 50 miles - hold my beer/watch thia - lol

it is either bent or not bent and a couple of strings, plumb bobs, a square and a tape measure and an afternoon in the garage with a note pad should pin this down or any body shop with a frame jig could tell ya whats up as well - really need data to confirm/not confirm - I can usually just look for missing paint on a frame to see what is tweaked

if they think it needs a new frame - so be it, not sure there is another option

Reactions: ChadD and Remington
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The probability of a frame being twisted from the factory is extremely low…under the assumption that it was assembled (welded) correctly…

Now, as someone who knows a bit about contract frame manufacturing….the probability of a welding jig being out of alignment…or poorly aligned in the jig and welded is a REAL possibility albeit low as long as the quality checks are done...

Reactions: Rayger143
advertisement
D

Dan-Squatch

Feb 9, 2024
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Today I was able to get the results from the alignment that was done at the local auto shop

Reactions: Rayger143
D

Dan-Squatch

Feb 9, 2024
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The probability of a frame being twisted from the factory is extremely low…under the assumption that it was assembled (welded) correctly…

Now, as someone who knows a bit about contract frame manufacturing….the probability of a welding jig being out of alignment…or poorly aligned in the jig and welded is a REAL possibility albeit low as long as the quality checks are done...
By "twisted" I guess I'm meaning incorrectly manufactured. Whether the mounts on the frame for the control arms are welded wrong or it wasn't set in the jig properly who knows 🤷🏼. Tweaked may be a better word for it... Whatever the case I just want my machine fixed 😞

• Sad
Reactions: CID
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at the numbers, a set of rear Superatv arms could probably make up the rear toe as they are adjustable top and bottom front and rear. The front could likely be aligned and fixed. Given that everything is within a 1/4", I'm guessing it's on the far side of the manufacturing tolerance but likely not bad.