H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Getting ready to install intake snorkels on the newest 2023 Talons. I just ordered 3 Talon Intake Pre-filter Tubes from 10-80 Dirt Sports. These tubes make it so much easier to make an under-roof pre-filter snorkel. Modifying the plastic Ant-Farm tubing takes a lot of time. I made 8 Talon under roof prefilters before these tubes were available. It took a bit over 3 hours. Now it will about an hour and if the guys just want it above the fender, it will take about 30 minutes.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Getting ready to install intake snorkels on the newest 2023 Talons. I just ordered 3 Talon Intake Pre-filter Tubes from 10-80 Dirt Sports. These tubes make it so much easier to make an under-roof pre-filter snorkel. Modifying the plastic Ant-Farm tubing takes a lot of time. I made 8 Talon under roof prefilters before these tubes were available. It took a bit over 3 hours. Now it will about an hour and if the guys just want it above the fender, it will take about 30 minutes.
I saw the order for 3 red tubes come through on my phone right as we were leaving on the Talons for a trip to the sand bar! Cool deal! I'll pack these up on Wednesday evening to ship them out on Thursday.

This long weekend has been busy for me! Tomorrow I'm shipping out 13 kits or tubes that were ordered over the weekend. My desertcraft prefilter order quantities will get increased in the next round because what I'm getting now won't last 6 weeks between shipments. I'm almost out with 2-3 weeks left before the next order arrives! All that while welding more tubes in my spare time!

scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
The 1st mod I tell people with new machines they need to do. $50 for a filter every 300-400 miles is crazy.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The 1st mod I tell people with new machines they need to do. $50 for a filter every 300-400 miles is crazy.
Hondabob's original snorkel idea is linked in my sig, including part numbers for those who are interested. I have 11,xxx miles on my original filter and it's just starting to show a little dirt.

Bob's original idea kept the stock intake chamber which is either for noise control or tuning, probably both. As noisy as the intake is with the pedal down, I wouldn't want to remove that intake chamber. That's with foam ear plugs and a helmet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Homer
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
One of the guys removed the Ant-Farm intake and no noise. The particle Seperator also eliminates the Ant-Farm intake. The electric fans are noisy at idle and the air filter needs to be replaced around 5,000 to 15,000 miles depending on if you ride in heavy dust. I'm doing a valve adjustment now and have the filter and air box removed. I use an $35.00 pre-oiled automotive pre-filter mounted under roof. I change it every 8,000 to 10,000 miles. My original air filter is still clean with 37,480 miles. I'm replacing it due to age and the original spark plugs too. Super clean air and proper oil changes improve engine life, it looks like the Talon engine will be good for around 70,000 miles. My dirty pre-filter has 10,000 miles on it and my Talon will still hit the rev limiter in 6th gear. The inside of the dirty filter is still clean. The pre-filter can be cleaned and re-oiled but it's a PITA, so I just replace it.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
For those who may only want to purchase an intake tube and use a filter other than desertcraft, these are a few options that interested me and I tested the fit. I will say that the desertcraft is structurally superior to all of these filters. It also grips the tube MUCH better.

This uni filter has a 3” flange but it’s very shallow and does not grip the tube super great. In fact you will have to clean the filter oil off of the flange or it won’t grip at all. The flange has a slight taper that makes the filter want to slowly slip off and tightening the clamp more does not help.
IMG 1571

AEM 21-2038BF
This is advertised as a severe duty dry element off road filter. It grips well with a deep flange. It doesn’t look very durable for an exposed filter. There is no mesh on either side of the media.
IMG 1569

AEM 21-2036DK
This filter does grip well and seems structural sufficient as an exposed filter. It’s also a dry filter. Dry filters make files cleaning very quick and easy.
IMG 1570

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The Desertcraft filter is easy to clean, the one I use requires a filter cleaning kit and has to be reoiled, that is why I just replace it. The Desertcraft filter may be ok for several thousand miles and 10-80 Dirt Sports also has the outerwear.

Reactions: Smitty335
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I love the desertcraft filter. It’s so easy to maintain. Great small company too! Always helpful. It should last a long time. They really don’t have a service limit. If you get a tear or some other damage then it will need replacing. Other than that the synthetic media will last.

Side note :
Desertcraft makes this filter specifically for me. They do not stock or sell these filters themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!