P1000 28x10x14 Questions

RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve read a lot of threads about changing to 28x10x14 all around but still have some questions.

I plan to use the stock wheels and was just going to go up to 28’s while keeping the original offset width, but the Terrabites aren’t offered in those sizes. (I’m pretty set on getting the Terrabites)

1- Has anyone found any negative aspects to the change?

2- We do travel some side land and ruts at times. Does the height increase make it more “tippy”? I assume the little extra width in front may compensate for the increased center of gravity. And yes, I do realize it’s only a 1/2” increase if the tires are true to size but I’ve read that may not be the case.

3- Is there a noticeable difference in turning radius with the wider fronts?

4- Are these the correct spacers needed for the rear? Or another recommendation?

5- Can the spacers be purchased from the club store? They aren’t listed but I see @Hondasxs said somewhere that he’s a SATV vendor.

6- Any recommendations on purchase location for tires (and/or spacers)? I was very happy with the purchase from pureoffroad when getting them for our 700. They arrived within a couple days.

7- How do the Terrabites compare to stock in “true” size? I’ve read the stock are short and not true 27”. Our factory tires are Armstrong Dirt Master. Not sure how to accurately measure them. Curious of the actual difference in height between the two.

8- Anyone like to share their general pros/cons of changing to 28x10x14?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kbuc and SuperATV
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve read a lot of threads about changing to 28x10x14 all around but still have some questions.

I plan to use the stock wheels and was just going to go up to 28’s while keeping the original offset width, but the Terrabites aren’t offered in those sizes. (I’m pretty set on getting the Terrabites)

2- We do travel some side land and ruts at times. Does the height increase make it more “tippy”? I assume the little extra width in front may compensate for the increased center of gravity. And yes, I do realize it’s only a 1/2” increase if the tires are true to size but I’ve read that may not be the case.

4- Are these the correct spacers needed for the rear? Or another recommendation?

5- Can the spacers be purchased from the club store? They aren’t listed but I see @Hondasxs said somewhere that he’s a SATV vendor.

6- Any recommendations on purchase location for tires (and/or spacers)? I was very happy with the purchase from pureoffroad when getting them for our 700. They arrived within a couple days.

7- How do the Terrabites compare to stock in “true” size? I’ve read the stock are short and not true 27”. Our factory tires are Armstrong Dirt Master. Not sure how to accurately measure them. Curious of the actual difference in height between the two.

PM @Hondasxs with any @SuperATV part numbers and he can create an invoice for you and make it happen.

He might even be able to get you better than the #NTC zero percent discount that is available on all parts sold at SuperATV.com.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

@RB3offroad also does spacers. I know they are another forum vendor and no one ever has anything bad to say about them. Options!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Just get the same size all the way around. Easier to rotate and to have a spare.
28’s are the biggest to go without any suspension upgrade.
10” wide is fine. Thats what I run.
You will need spacers to not rub amf to fix the trac. RB3 off-road wide track bundle is preferred unless u want to blow your 🤯 with wheel offsets.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't know how the Terrabites would compare to your stock tire; but the 28x10x14 Terrabites do run a little smaller than stated dimension in height, but not enough to ever notice.

I don't run them on stock 9 & 11 rims.

No, to questions # 2 and 3.
The wider front tire will feel a bit different than oem. Play with pressure.

I run them all around (same size rim) and removed the rear spacer. Prefer the ride and handling without them.

I haven't really found any cons about them, but with this post, you'll get replies complaining about some tires not sealing with bead lock, rims.

Search Terrabites on this site, if you want to read the piss and moan about these tires.

There are far more positive reviews out there about Terrabites, from owners of all makes of sxs's.

I think you can buy them in stock sizes - 27x9x14 and 27x11x14.

And there's mine..

Vurban Industries for tires
(Ask for Nathan)
Amazon, Rocky Mtn Atv

Cheers

Last edited:
P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3

If you want to use your stock wheels (I did), and run 28-10-14's, I would recommend 1" spacers on the rear to line things up. I used the RB3 1" spacers.

RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow thanks for all the replies.

PM @Hondasxs with any @SuperATV part numbers and he can create an invoice for you and make it happen.

He might even be able to get you better than the #NTC zero percent discount that is available on all parts sold at SuperATV.com.

A zero % discount? I usually have to pay extra for that!

Thanks for the information. I’ll get in touch with hondasxs.

@RB3offroad also does spacers. I know they are another forum vendor and no one ever has anything bad to say about them. Options!

At least a couple folks have mentioned them. I’ll check those out too.

Just get the same size all the way around. Easier to rotate and to have a spare.
28’s are the biggest to go without any suspension upgrade.
10” wide is fine. Thats what I run.
You will need spacers to not rub amf to fix the trac. RB3 off-road wide track bundle is preferred unless u want to blow your 🤯 with wheel offsets.

I won’t be able to rotate since I’m not changing from stock wheels.
Not sure what a wide track bundle is but will look into it. I’m not wanting to extend the overall track any. Some of our trails are tight.
I’m not looking at getting wheels currently so any offset considerations would just be a wheel spacer for now.

Don't know how the Terrabites would compare to your stock tire; but the 28x10x14 Terrabites do run a little smaller than stated dimension in height, but not enough to ever notice.

I don't run them on stock 9 & 11 rims.

No, to questions # 2 and 3.
The wider front tire will feel a bit different than oem. Play with pressure.

I run them all around (same size rim) and removed the rear spacer. Prefer the ride and handling without them.

I haven't really found any cons about them, but with this post, you'll get replies complaining about some tires not sealing with bead lock, rims.

Search Terrabites on this site, if you want to read the piss and moan about these tires.

There are far more positive reviews out there about Terrabites, from owners of all makes of sxs's.

I think you can buy them in stock sizes - 27x9x14 and 27x11x14.

And there's mine..

(Ask for Nathan)
Amazon, Rocky Mtn Atv

Cheers

Thanks for the detailed reply. I’ll quote again below for a couple follow up questions.

“I run them all around (same size rim) and removed the rear spacer. Prefer the ride and handling without them.”

So you didn’t like the rear spacer? What exactly did it do that you didn’t like? Is the spacer mostly just for appearance to get the outside of front/rear to the same track width? If this is the case then I could always try them without spacers first and see how it goes.

“I haven't really found any cons about them, but with this post, you'll get replies complaining about some tires not sealing with bead lock, rims.”

Yes I understand. People get pretty polarized about tires and wheels! Some things are a personal preference and that’s fine as well. No plans for bead locks so all good on that aspect.

I ran the Terrabites on our previous 700 and absolutely loved them. So I’m fairly confident I’ll be happy using them on the 1000.

“I think you can buy them in stock sizes - 27x9x14 and 27x11x14.”

Correct. They are available in OEM size. Was just thinking 1” taller may help on the trail. And my cousin said he loves squared up sizing (on other brand sxs’s). He said it seems to handle better in our red clay and some other reasons.

“And there's mine..

(Ask for Nathan)
Amazon, Rocky Mtn Atv”

Your’s? Your business?

Do you also offer a 0% discount like the Prez mentioned above? 😂

If you want to use your stock wheels (I did), and run 28-10-14's, I would recommend 1" spacers on the rear to line things up. I used the RB3 1" spacers.

Thank you. One vote for spacers and one against. lol. Seems the RB3’s are a favorite around here. I need to look into them.

I assume you prefer the 28x10’s over stock?

• Sad
Reactions: Remington
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dirtstiff

Thanks for the detailed reply. I’ll quote again below for a couple follow up questions.

“I run them all around (same size rim) and removed the rear spacer. Prefer the ride and handling without them.”

So you didn’t like the rear spacer? What exactly did it do that you didn’t like? Is the spacer mostly just for appearance to get the outside of front/rear to the same track width? If this is the case then I could always try them without spacers first and see how it goes.

Yes, same track width and some claim stability. In my mind -
While wheel spacers are generally safe for off-roading, you should note that increasing your wheel's offset will:
  • Place additional stress on the axle's studs.
  • Make slow-speed turning more difficult.
  • Increase the tire scrub radius, altering how your vehicle handles turns.
  • Place more strain on the ball joints.

“I haven't really found any cons about them, but with this post, you'll get replies complaining about some tires not sealing with bead lock, rims.”

Yes I understand. People get pretty polarized about tires and wheels! Some things are a personal preference and that’s fine as well. No plans for bead locks so all good on that aspect. Tires are preference, the Terrabites are good but not all around great. IMO what affordable tire is great for everyone?

I ran the Terrabites on our previous 700 and absolutely loved them. So I’m fairly confident I’ll be happy using them on the 1000.

“I think you can buy them in stock sizes - 27x9x14 and 27x11x14.”

Correct. They are available in OEM size. Was just thinking 1” taller may help on the trail. And my cousin said he loves squared up sizing (on other brand sxs’s). He said it seems to handle better in our red clay and some other reasons. You won't get 100% of a full inch increase as mine are a but shorter than stated spec.

“And there's mine..

(Ask for Nathan)
Amazon, Rocky Mtn Atv”

Your’s? Your business?
Nope, bought mine from them, with top notch customer service, and they sell through Azon.

Thank you. One vote for spacers and one against. lol. Seems the RB3’s are a favorite around here. I need to look into them.

I bought RB3, great quality.

I assume you prefer the 28x10’s over stock? Absolutely, no comparison. The Bighorns are good for what they are.
Hope this helps.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I won’t be able to rotate since I’m not changing from stock wheels.
Well then your question is a waist of our breath then. Just get the same exact tire size as stock of your choice if your going to stick with the stock wheels imo.
Cuz in the end you wont be happy after a while so Buy once Cry once.
search tires on stock wheels up top to see what other have done.
Good luck and POIDH when your done with whatever u decide

Last edited:
Reactions: toddvdh
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
One vote for spacers and one against. lol. Seems the RB3’s are a favorite around here. I need to look into them.
Because they are a vender here and we like to support our venders to keep the forum going 😉

Reactions: toddvdh
RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well then your question is a waist of our breath then. Just get the same exact tire size as stock of your choice if your going to stick with the stock wheels imo.
Cuz in the end you wont be happy after a while so Buy once Cry once.
search tires on stock wheels up top to see what other have done.
Good luck and POIDH when your done with whatever u decide
I have “searched tires” on the forum, especially related to the situation at hand. I stated I’d read other posts. I also stated I would not be changing from the stock rims at this time. You do not need to respond if it is “a waste of your breath.” I asked specific questions for my specific intentions for a specific purpose.

If all we ever do is “search the forum” then there will be no new conversations and the forum will die. Similar principle as supporting the sponsors. Pictures don’t keep the forum alive, but continuous conversations do.

This isn’t a buy once cry once situation in my opinion. Tires wear out. I’ll be purchasing again. If I desire a change later then no harm no foul. We will remain on the stock wheels at this time. The question is in regard to if we should go with stock tire size or the 28x10’s. Your vote has been noted. Have you actually ran those on stock wheels and have first hand experience? Serious question, I don’t mean it as a snide remark. If so please elaborate on why it’s a mistake.

I have yet to read of someone with stock wheels hating this setup, which was one of my questions about cons.

For those in the stock wheel club,
Anyone who’s ran 28x10x14 tires on stock wheels regret that decision?
Did you prefer the stock 27x9 & 27x11 setup over it?
And if yes, why?

And similarly, anyone else like/dislike the rear spacers? So far I’ve seen 1 vote each way in this thread.

EDIT: Apologies for my aggressive attitude. I really should wait until after coffee before posting.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have “searched tires” on the forum, especially related to the situation at hand. I stated I’d read other posts. I also stated I would not be changing from the stock rims at this time. You do not need to respond if it is “a waste of your breath.” I asked specific questions for my specific intentions for a specific purpose.

If all we ever do is “search the forum” then there will be no new conversations and the forum will die. Similar principle as supporting the sponsors. Pictures don’t keep the forum alive, but continuous conversations do.

This isn’t a buy once cry once situation in my opinion. Tires wear out. I’ll be purchasing again. If I desire a change later then no harm no foul. We will remain on the stock wheels at this time. The question is in regard to if we should go with stock tire size or the 28x10’s. Your vote has been noted. Have you actually ran those on stock wheels and have first hand experience? Serious question, I don’t mean it as a snide remark. If so please elaborate on why it’s a mistake.

I have yet to read of someone with stock wheels hating this setup, which was one of my questions about cons.

And if yes, why?

And similarly, anyone else like/dislike the rear spacers? So far I’ve seen 1 vote each way in this thread.
Ok paperback writer! Simmer down 🤣🥳
Your a serious one and take things to hart, Ill take note of that from now on.😉

Since youve been here a short time Ill explain the pics thing (didnt start with me) so you wont have to get so bent About it….no Ive done that too many times already dont need to globber up another thread about it
You can search it up!
JUST KIDDING RELAX! 🥳

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

And if yes, why?

Don't have a P1 but have ran about every combination on a P5. Stock wheels work fine and will keep you closer to having an even track width if going with same width of tire on all 4 and not adding spacers. If you plan to keep it that way, no rotation or common spare, then going with same width of tire front and back has minimal benefits. You'll get a slightly softer ride by having wide's on the back and better turn capabilities by having skinny's on the front.
These manufacturer's are putting wide's on the back due to the weight ratio, engine is in the back, payload, towing, rear seats with passengers... it's a weight rating thing. That's all I got, hope it's helpful.

J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is it worth beating yourself up over a half inch ground clearance.Myself i dont like the idea of hanging more rubber on the front end of a frame thats already prone to breakage.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

And if yes, why?

You have alot to reply to lol
Heres my chapter lol JK
Wheels and tire questions have been beat to death more than a jocky to his horse at the KY derby🥳 thats why your getting the mixed reactions and suggestions or lack there of.

Now to try and help you in your quest if thats possible? No pun intended😘

This is all over the site, YOU CAN GO AS HIGH AS 28’s STOCK! You havent said if u have stock arms, stock shocks, lift or Aftermarket shocks with or without preload?
All this makes a difference in your quest for the perfect tire set up with stock wheels.
The problem with 28’s and ANY tire for that matter is not all tire brands are NOT created equal for tire hight/exact measurement. You will blow your🤯 trying to find that out Unfortunately.
You also have to worry about your width for rubbing as well Remember that part about not created equal? Well….. we are there again.
Bottom line is that you have to experiment with these things yourself unless your rig is the exact set up, arms, shocks etc. as someone else's and thats not likely. Thats why a majority have gone to same size wheel and tire all the way around. If you choose to not do that, thats fine. Be advised your getting into a different modification that you yourself will have to play with so it works with your machine. Hince the “waist of breath” Maybe thats too strong of phrase but you get the idea.

Spacers will help, but again its about your set personal set up.

All this said, it brings us to pics😏
You said you cant find anything for what your looking for from all that you've read. So heres an Idea, since your doing what you cant find in the search, once youve got the set up right, you can post it all here for someone else thats having or will have the same issue but it will be done. But its the pics of the final product that helps. Conversation and discussion help tremendously to but you cant overlook pics. Its like going in a dating site (I dont do btw) “she sounds hot AF Ill take a chance” all to find out later shes the toothless wonder and 400 bills and smells of Stinky cat litter🥳🤣
Alot of people are visual to understand things and like to SEE what it looks like as a finished product to get there ideas whether to push forward or not. Its helped me doing my rig looking at folks builds and there pics and alot if that was back in 16’. So I did the same in my builds for others here are some for you my friend.
28’s same size all the way around mainly stock and 1” spacers front 1-1/2” in the back.
IMG 5206
IMG 4931

BTW the Wide track bundle is on RB3’s site under Honda if u want to see it. Its mainly for same size wheel and offset all the way around and to fix the trac (so your wheels dont look Retarted 🤭 on your rig narrower in the back than the front) also to give you more stability.

Hope all this helps and doesn't confuse you more.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I went up to 28's on my 1000-5. Got 9" wide on the front and 11" on the back just because I didn't want to buy aftermarket wheels. I also got the widetrack spacer kit from RB3. I know this set up is different than what most guys go with on here but it has worked for me so far.

Everyone will say you can't notice a difference but technically if you put 10" wide tires on the stock rims then the back tires will end up being a little shorter than the front because the back rim is wider than the front rim. There are some people that are running 10" wide tires on stock rims with no issues though.

I don't have any really good pics but here's a few of my set up

20240210 172137
20231231 135404
20230804 064559
20220702 172734

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
28x10s are pretty narrow on stock rear wheel. You will likely notice they are hard on the tire side walls and you'll see more damage to the wheels. You also increase your chances of having the tire come off the bead. I didn't like running mine on stock wheels and quickly switched to 4 matching 14x7 wheels. If you wanted to run stock wheels 28x10s are a good fit on the narrower stock front wheels

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Now we are getting some answers and pics to help out as a visual!

• Haha
Reactions: EMAW and trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!