P1000 Questions on 28" Tires - STI X Comp ATR

J

jbk-maine

Nov 29, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking to get some advice on upgrading my tires (and possibly wheels). I started searching for a better tire for my needs after suffering some punctures with the stock Maxxis Bighorn 2.0s on a recent hunting trip . I primarily ride on logging roads and trails in northern and western Maine, depending on the time of year there may be some mud/snow riding as well. There tends to be a good bit of slate and shale on the roads so I am looking to step up to a 10-ply tire. I am not necessarily concerned by a drop in top speed or acceleration due to heavier tires (I tend to take it pretty easy on the throttle), but am worried about the long term strain on the drivetrain. As much as possible I would like to avoid changing the stock geometry as to not put additional stress on the machine. After doing some research and reading some old posts on this forum I think I have landed on the STI X Comp ATR tire (28 / 10 R14). Currently I have the stock 14" rims that come with the 2021 1000-5 deluxe model. I was hoping to get some advice on a few questions before pulling the trigger:
  1. Would 28 / 10 R14 tires fit on the stock wheels or would I need to purchase a new set?
  2. If I do need a new set would 5+2 offset be the proper spec to run on all 4 corners with a 1" spacer in the rear? How much would running this setup add to the width of the machine? Is there a better option for offsets to maintain factory width and avoid the need for spacers (6+1 in front with 5x2 in rear...just guessing here)?
  3. Are there any clearance/rubbing issues to be aware of when moving up from the stock tires to the 28" tires? Would the stock rims or a new set with proper offset make this any better or worse?
  4. Would beadlock rims be worth the extra $ so that I could run the tires at lower PSI to compensate for the impact a stiffer sidewall would have on the ride quality?
  5. How hard would the additional tire weight/height be on the drivetrain?
  6. It there another solution to my problem that I am not thinking of (better tire / wheel combo)?
Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady01
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have a set of four 28" x 10" x 14" Tensor Regulators on my Pioneer 1000-3 mounted on a set of Honda Pioneer LE 14" aluminum wheels. I use a pair of 1" spacers on the rear.

I take no credit for deciding on the combo I'm using. My choices were based on the advice of a dozen or more members and reading 100 or more posts on the subject.

The tires fit without interference with any body part, are quiet compared to the terrible OEM 12" tires, and the gearing change caused by the tires is not perceptible to the driver.

In summary - the tires and wheels are exactly what I wanted with no negative consequences.

IMG 1948 IMG 1952 IMG 1949 IMG 1951 IMG 1953

J

jbk-maine

Nov 29, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a set of four 28" x 10" x 14" Tensor Regulators on my Pioneer 1000-3 mounted on a set of Honda Pioneer LE 14" aluminum wheels. I use a pair of 1" spacers on the rear.

I take no credit for deciding on the combo I'm using. My choices were based on the advice of a dozen or more members and reading 100 or more posts on the subject.

The tires fit without interference with any body part, are quiet compared to the terrible OEM 12" tires, and the gearing change caused by the tires is not perceptible to the driver.

In summary - the tires and wheels are exactly what I wanted with no negative consequences.

View attachment 306760 View attachment 306761 View attachment 306763 View attachment 306764 View attachment 306765
Thanks for the info HBarlow, good to hear that fitting 28" tires shouldn't be an issue. Also, great looking machine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!