I didn't want a ticket šŸ˜

RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks folks. Appreciate the input.

Don't have a P1 but have ran about every combination on a P5. Stock wheels work fine and will keep you closer to having an even track width if going with same width of tire on all 4 and not adding spacers. If you plan to keep it that way, no rotation or common spare, then going with same width of tire front and back has minimal benefits. You'll get a slightly softer ride by having wide's on the back and better turn capabilities by having skinny's on the front.
These manufacturer's are putting wide's on the back due to the weight ratio, engine is in the back, payload, towing, rear seats with passengers... it's a weight rating thing. That's all I got, hope it's helpful.
I hadnā€™t considered weight distribution as a factor for the varying OEM sizes. Sort of figured it may have been a leftover from when everything was manual steering. Thanks for that info.

Youā€™re right, by dropping from 11ā€ to 10ā€ on the rear it may effect the stiffness. Hadnā€™t thought of that.

I figured the turn radius wouldnā€™t be drastic but definitely a consideration.

Is it worth beating yourself up over a half inch ground clearance.Myself i dont like the idea of hanging more rubber on the front end of a frame thats already prone to breakage.
The clearance only improving by 1/2ā€ is a very good point and so this may not be worth fooling with. My cousin said he does prefer how the squared up tires handle in our terrain on his CanAm. But thatā€™s a different animal so figured the guys here could give me more appropriate information.

Guess Iā€™m a true noob. The frame being prone to breakage is news to me. :oops:

I went up to 28's on my 1000-5. Got 9" wide on the front and 11" on the back just because I didn't want to buy aftermarket wheels. I also got the widetrack spacer kit from RB3. I know this set up is different than what most guys go with on here but it has worked for me so far.

Everyone will say you can't notice a difference but technically if you put 10" wide tires on the stock rims then the back tires will end up being a little shorter than the front because the back rim is wider than the front rim. There are some people that are running 10" wide tires on stock rims with no issues though.

I don't have any really good pics but here's a few of my set up

View attachment 424553View attachment 424554View attachment 424555View attachment 424556
Thank you.
My original plan was to go 28ā€ with the factory tire offset. Unfortunately Terrabite doesnā€™t offer those. I may have to see if thereā€™s a similar tire that does have the 28x9&11.

ā€œtechnically if you put 10" wide tires on the stock rims then the back tires will end up being a little shorter than the front because the back rim is wider than the front rim.ā€

I hadnā€™t considered this but it is a valid point.

28x10s are pretty narrow on stock rear wheel. You will likely notice they are hard on the tire side walls and you'll see more damage to the wheels. You also increase your chances of having the tire come off the bead. I didn't like running mine on stock wheels and quickly switched to 4 matching 14x7 wheels. If you wanted to run stock wheels 28x10s are a good fit on the narrower stock front wheels
Good point as well. I hadnā€™t thought about less sidewall bulge to protect the rear wheels.

Didnā€™t think the 1ā€ would impact bead retention but youā€™re right, it would even if just slightly.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The clearance only improving by 1/2ā€ is a very good point and so this may not be worth fooling with. My cousin said he does prefer how the squared up tires handle in our terrain on his CANNED HAM But thatā€™s a different animal so figured the guys here could give me more appropriate information.

Guess Iā€™m a true noob. The frame being prone to breakage is news to me. :oops:
Fixed it for ya!
The eyelets where the A-arms mount on some earlier years have been known to snap.
Heres a threadā€¦
Thank you.
IMG 1198

šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£
Just messin! FJB

• Haha
Reactions: EMAW and NTCPrezJB
RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fixed it for ya!
The eyelets where the A-arms mount on some earlier years have been known to snap.
Heres a threadā€¦

View attachment 424592
šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£
Just messin! FJB

Thanks for sharing the link. Interesting read.

Sounds like they may have (hopefully) corrected this on 22+ so fingers crossed our 23 is safe for now.

These latest posts have me leaning towards going with stock size. That is the easier no-thinking way anyhow. šŸ˜‚
We have a little bit left in the originals so I have some time to stew over it.

Reactions: Remington
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for sharing the link. Interesting read.

Sounds like they may have (hopefully) corrected this on 22+ so fingers crossed our 23 is safe for now.

These latest posts have me leaning towards going with stock size. That is the easier no-thinking way anyhow. šŸ˜‚
We have a little bit left in the originals so I have some time to stew over it.
You won't have to worry about the a-arm tabs. You would have to have a good crash to rip them off now. I would only stay stock size tires if I found OEM take offs for a steal. It seems like those days are over since covid though. 28s in whatever configuration that floats your boat. I think @JACKAL has a 29 inch tire that will fit without doing the a-arms. I can't remember what tire it is but maybe he will chime in. You can't pay attention to the height claims because every tire manufacturer seems to be full of s***.

EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You won't have to worry about the a-arm tabs. You would have to have a good crash to rip them off now. I would only stay stock size tires if I found OEM take offs for a steal. It seems like those days are over since covid though. 28s in whatever configuration that floats your boat. I think @JACKAL has a 29 inch tire that will fit without doing the a-arms. I can't remember what tire it is but maybe he will chime in. You can't pay attention to the height claims because every tire manufacturer seems to be full of s***.
So trueā€¦..The 29ā€ Terrabites I had only measured a little over 28ā€ when they were new.

RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So trueā€¦..The 29ā€ Terrabites I had only measured a little over 28ā€ when they were new.

Thatā€™s interesting. I was sticking to 28ā€™s since the research showed that was as big as we could go with a completely stock buggy.

Terrabites show the 29ā€™s as available in the stock 9 & 11ā€ widths. Considering they measure short, wonder if anyone has tried those with a stock 22+ P1k?
Iā€™ll have to do some searching later.

Decisions decisions.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!