P1000 2nd battery dead, need help!

ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi, all. I need a little help. I have a 2nd battery installed to run my accessories, stereo, lights, ect. I have the fuse block keyed and a battery isolator so my main battery doesn't go dead. But my 2nd battery keeps going dead and I can't figure out why. Nothing can stay on due to the fuse box being keyed. I'm throwing my arms up and coming to the professionals here on the forum. Any ideas from anyone out there? Thanks in advance for any help.

ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Isolate one battery from the other and charge the dead one, see if it'll take a charge.
Already did that, it did for a couple times and now it's dead and will only take a little charge and die quick. I have an Odyssey battery. I've never had a problem with them ever before.

Reactions: Windrock1000
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That sounds lkke a bad battery. Autozone or similar can load test batteries. Just fully charge it before you take it in.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Already did that, it did for a couple times and now it's dead and will only take a little charge and die quick. I have an Odyssey battery. I've never had a problem with them ever before.

Repeatedly running a battery dead is what kills them unless it's a deep cycle. It may have just finally pooped out. If they were both of equal age, charge and type when you wired it, then it's the isolator. Whether manual or automatic type, somehow it's not charging your second battery.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Do all the accessories work fine when running then nothing with key off?

Reactions: trigger
ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That sounds lkke a bad battery. Autozone or similar can load test batteries. Just fully charge it before you take it in.
I think you might be right. Or the "True" dual battery connector is not allowing it to charge. Thanks for the help.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have a two battery set up and don't use an isolator. If you do a lot of short 10 or 15 min runs then your isolator never charges the second battery. You would have to use a tender to properly balance those batteries.
Good thing you have the isolator in this situation though, one bad battery can kill the other one.

ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes. Think of it kind of like an alternator on the car if you have a dead battery usually you'll still have accessories with it while it's running(or in this case while on) if nothing while running its isolator. Takebatt out and see if you can get it to hold a charge if not needs that too
oh, man. Spending some more money. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

ohiohunter

ohiohunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2016
Minerva Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a two battery set up and don't use an isolator. If you do a lot of short 10 or 15 min runs then your isolator never charges the second battery. You would have to use a tender to properly balance those batteries.
Good thing you have the isolator in this situation though, one bad battery can kill the other one.
I use it mostly on the farm and 10-15 minute runs is a constant thing for me. I guess I'll have to trickle charge it when I get it fixed. Thanks.

Reactions: trigger