P1000 2wd lock vs turf for on road(pavement/concrete).

OldTruckie

OldTruckie

Feb 13, 2017
Bullhead City, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I live in Arizona which allows UTV's to be licensed for on-road use. Now that I have 70 hrs and 600 miles on my '16 1000-5 deluxe(mostly off road), I'm noticing in forums that maybe when driving on asphalt or other hard surface the drive mode should be "turf". Am I getting this right? I double checked the owners manual but never gave a thought to it 'til now when I started noticing a little slippage on the inside rear tire when making a turn. The light bulb came on and I then decided to check the forum which I'm rarely on. Of course, no mention by the dealer on sales or delivery. All seems to be working OK for now and I just hope I haven't messed up my differential. Thoughts?

D

DDDonkey

I too live in AZ but with only 300 miles so far. I leave may machine in turf mode even off road until I need more traction. I don't think anything is hurt just be sure to stop when changing between the different modes. Happy riding!

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm in turf most of the time. Even plowing snow if there isn't too much or ice under the snow.

Always amazed at what a Honda will do.

(but am also very glad to have 4WD!)

D

Dasmoeturhead

Almost always in Turf mode. I'm always amazed what this machine will do in this mode.
Yesterday I was going over a step ditch ( straddling it) in Turf mode when the machine stopped making forward progress. 2 tires were off the ground. Just moved the selector to 4WD and off I went.

H

Hucker

Jul 30, 2016
SE AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same as above, I am in turf mode almost all of the time.

I live in AZ too, and have not found much terrain that requires 2wd. I use 4wd once in awhile to make sure it is there (and working). No real need for 2wd with what this machine does (and can do) in turf.

My friend and I actually had a conversation about the exact opposite - he thinks I should be running it in 2wd more because he thinks I stress the drive system by not using 2wd. He says turf is for slow speed maneuvers on lawns only. I look at it as a progressive need scenario - when turf is insufficient, use 2wd, when 2wd is insufficient, use 4wd, then 4wd lock...

Biteme

Biteme

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2020
North West New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I stay in turf mode most of the time, rare is the need for anything else, rock crawling 4 lock. Be aware when you put your machine in park it locks the rear axle, if you first move after parking is directional the rear will make a loud pop when the lock disengages.

mj1angier

mj1angier

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2020
NC
Unrelated but I REALLY wish we could run UTV's on the roads here in NC.
I blame the baptists.

No, no... Baptist are fine with it every day but Sunday. The Methodist don’t want you to ever do it. Catholics just want you to feel guilty when you do, then ask for pentance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I use turf mode all the time on my Pioneer.

Back when I owned a Polaris, the dealer told me not to use turf mode while I was being aggressive. Something about that part of the differential was weak. I ran it in turf mode a lot, even being agressive, and I never broke it.

Biteme

Biteme

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2020
North West New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use turf mode all the time on my Pioneer.

Back when I owned a Polaris, the dealer told me not to use turf mode while I was being aggressive. Something about that part of the differential was weak. I ran it in turf mode a lot, even being agressive, and I never broke it.
Did not know polaris had turf mode?

K

Kelldog

Dec 2, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I like using 4x4 as much as i can to keep it working. I think not using it until you really need it can backfire

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!