P1000 30" ITP Cryptids - small!

U

Uniblab

Dec 29, 2018
Dallas, Tx
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I bought a set of Cryptids today, 30x9x14 and 30x11x14. Bought them sight-unseen and was disappointed to see that they do not measure anywhere near 30". With no air, they are only 27.5" tall. I would expect to gain about another inch when inflated so 28.5". My old Maxxis Zillas were 28x9x14 and 28x11x14, they measured 26.5" uninflated and 27.5" inflated. So the Cryptids are only 1" taller.

The Cryptids are also very heavy - the 28x11 Zilla on the stock Deluxe 14" wheel is 46lbs, the Cryptid 30x11 tire alone is 44lbs. I guess the good news is that they look very thick and puncture-resistant. I have never used low range much, but I think I'm going to use it with these tires, at least when we are really slogging.

The 28" Zillas did not rub at all, ever on my bone-stock P-1000/5. I'm installing the SuperATV forward control arms because I thought I would need them, but I wonder if they are really necessary to run the 30" Cryptids. Regardless, I am digging the camber adjustment in the SuperATV arms, I think a couple of degrees of negative in the front wheels will really help the handling.

Incidentally, I was surprised to find that, on both sides of my Pioneer, the upper control arm ball joint castle nuts were snug, but not tight, and both of the ball joints were sloppy (not a lot of play, but very loose). And, the drivers side outer tie rod end ball joint was not only loose, but the nut had backed off far enough to contact the cotter pin. If the cotter pin hadn't stopped it I'm pretty sure it would have completely come apart. I bought this Pioneer new from the dealer in Nov. 2017 and it has never been screwed with, so it had to have been that way from the time it was assembled.
Cryptids2

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
U

Uniblab

Dec 29, 2018
Dallas, Tx
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While they are definitely heavy, I haven't been disappointed with them. Went out a few months ago and went through some pretty gnarly mud and never got stuck. I don't know if it's that my engine has loosened up or what, but it doesn't really feel slower than it did before. Still has plenty of get-up-and-go.

H

Hunter Fawcett

Jun 21, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While they are definitely heavy, I haven't been disappointed with them. Went out a few months ago and went through some pretty gnarly mud and never got stuck. I don't know if it's that my engine has loosened up or what, but it doesn't really feel slower than it did before. Still has plenty of get-up-and-go.
So I bought a set of Cryptids today, 30x9x14 and 30x11x14. Bought them sight-unseen and was disappointed to see that they do not measure anywhere near 30". With no air, they are only 27.5" tall. I would expect to gain about another inch when inflated so 28.5". My old Maxxis Zillas were 28x9x14 and 28x11x14, they measured 26.5" uninflated and 27.5" inflated. So the Cryptids are only 1" taller.

The Cryptids are also very heavy - the 28x11 Zilla on the stock Deluxe 14" wheel is 46lbs, the Cryptid 30x11 tire alone is 44lbs. I guess the good news is that they look very thick and puncture-resistant. I have never used low range much, but I think I'm going to use it with these tires, at least when we are really slogging.

The 28" Zillas did not rub at all, ever on my bone-stock P-1000/5. I'm installing the SuperATV forward control arms because I thought I would need them, but I wonder if they are really necessary to run the 30" Cryptids. Regardless, I am digging the camber adjustment in the SuperATV arms, I think a couple of degrees of negative in the front wheels will really help the handling.

Incidentally, I was surprised to find that, on both sides of my Pioneer, the upper control arm ball joint castle nuts were snug, but not tight, and both of the ball joints were sloppy (not a lot of play, but very loose). And, the drivers side outer tie rod end ball joint was not only loose, but the nut had backed off far enough to contact the cotter pin. If the cotter pin hadn't stopped it I'm pretty sure it would have completely come apart. I bought this Pioneer new from the dealer in Nov. 2017 and it has never been screwed with, so it had to have been that way from the time it was assembled.View attachment 184547
Did the 30" cryptids rub any after a arm installation? Also did you figure out if you really needed the forward a arms for those particular tires? I can't decide if I want the 30" or 28" at this point.

Reactions: Lady01
U

Uniblab

Dec 29, 2018
Dallas, Tx
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did the 30" cryptids rub any after a arm installation? Also did you figure out if you really needed the forward a arms for those particular tires? I can't decide if I want the 30" or 28" at this point.
I was surprised that they did rub the control arms a little at full lock, but I did not put any kind of limiter on my steering rack. As you can see, it's not much and I'm not at all concerned about it. Can't say whether the arms are required or not because their main purpose is to prevent interference with the back of the fender (I think). No rubbing there now but if I were a betting man I'd bet they would hit without the forward relocation of the Super-ATV arms.

I would recommend going with the 30's for sure, the extra traction and ground clearance is worth it. The SuperATV arms are cheap insurance, are strong and look great. The combo really changes the character of the P1K, IMO. I love the look.

IMG 3010 IMG 8846

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!