P500 520 tires and must have modifications?

D

Dschaffer

Dec 13, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 520
Hey all,
I am expecting to pick up my first SXS sometime in the next 2 weeks and it will be a 2022 Honda Pioneer 520 (moose brown). I live in Northern Michigan and am hoping to be able to ride the machine year-round. We have lots of snow right now so I suspect that a better set of tires will be needed for that. What is the go to tire for adding more clearance and better all around performance for off-roading and in the snow? Also, what are some of the first modifications/additions I should consider? The machine is coming to me bone stock. I have 18 acres to play on that connect to 100’s of miles of trails. Thanks

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Congrats on the new ride. Tire brands are kind of a preference thing so you may get a ton of opinions. 26's are a comfortable fit on the p5. You can go up to 27's without modifications other than spacers. Rule of thumb is if you go up you need to go out or it's a puckerfest. Big horns are a great all around tire, their tread pattern has been copied by many. They do better in the snow and sugar sand than most. The 2.0's are the lighter version so you don't add too much weight with the limited hp.

OlYeller15

OlYeller15

Jan 30, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Hey all,
I am expecting to pick up my first SXS sometime in the next 2 weeks and it will be a 2022 Honda Pioneer 520 (moose brown). I live in Northern Michigan and am hoping to be able to ride the machine year-round. We have lots of snow right now so I suspect that a better set of tires will be needed for that. What is the go to tire for adding more clearance and better all around performance for off-roading and in the snow? Also, what are some of the first modifications/additions I should consider? The machine is coming to me bone stock. I have 18 acres to play on that connect to 100’s of miles of trails. Thanks
Welcome from NE Ga… windshield roof rear window a must. Glass windshield (you won’t regret it) Gas it up keep it serviced and enjoy!

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I recommend getting an LED light bar. The stock lights are ridiculously inadequate.

Also, as far as diy mods go, the reverse lever delete is my favorite mod so far. Easy to do. I'm sure someone can post the link to the tread on how to do it. Basically it eliminates the need to pull the reverse lever when shifting into reverse.

Also, the trigger shield has worked great for me. It's a heat barrier you place under the seat that keeps the engine from roasting your butt, and it helps deaden the engine noise.

Tires and spacers have already been mentioned. I have a roof, windshield, winch, plow and rear window. But those are all obvious things people do based on need and preference. From what I have read on here, if you get a windshield, you will want to get a rear window or the wind flow will cause road dust to accumulate in the cab. I have the Honda soft rear window.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I would second all of what has been said. Most impactful will be tires, and windshield. Nice to haves are the roof, winch and Tigger shield. If you ride during low light times, additional light is needed.

Here is what your stocker will look like:

Mine looked like that too, with the exception of color of course.

Visual of what wheels and tires do for the P520. You can see the stockers in the corner of the garage. I think it still looks naked like this.

Once you start adding the good stuff, I think it really brings the character of the Pioneers. Here is is with the same wheels/tires, but adding the winch, windshield and roof make it even better.

Of course, this is just my opinion...

Rob 1643901895637

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Congrats. My 2 cents. 27’s Bighorn type thread here. 1st- roof, windshield, @trigger shield. And basic “stuck” recovery items, especially if riding alone. And be familiar with the emergency shift tool if the 520 has one like the P500.
Nice to have - power steering, a Strongmade bumper, winch and metal glove box. At first oil change went synthetics engine and heavier differential oil. A front diff locker for rough terrain.
As they say, it never ends…

Last edited:
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
First off- Welcome from another MI resident.

My first mod was tires. Went up to 26" tall, stock width and wheels but radials. What a huge ride quality improvement! Next was to remove the rear anti-sway bar. I'm sure you are thinking: "wait, remove something that is supposed to make this tippy-narrow vehicle more stable?" Believe me, the spring rate on the shocks are high enough that you may only notice the bar gone at high speed cornering. Biggest thing I noticed removing it was how much better the ride "felt" for every bump, dip or rock that the rear wheels makes contact with, the sway bar transfers that shock from the suspension right to the frame and you feel it in the seat of your pants. Removed, you do not feel that shock load anymore.

My next mod was a winch, for this is my first SxS and coming from the world of sport quads, I am use to if you get stuck, just get off and pick the machine up, re-set and continue riding. I am not picking this machine up! So winch to get you out/unstuck.

From there you can work on the comfort items and dress-up. I bought my P500 off a friend who already put Hondaline soft top, front and rear bumpers, Pro Armor 5-point harnesses and a MTX blue-tooth sound bar. I removed the sound-bar because I kept hitting my head on it. I would not recommend the soft-top for it is easily damaged and you have to remove it when you open trailer tow the machine. I'm looking at hard roofs for the shade and rain run-off are worth it.

Spend some time searching around on here and you can get all kinds of ideas that will make whatever money you have disappear. Ask Trigger....

Last edited:
G

GPS

Apr 10, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 520
Hey all,
Good luck! Based on my short time as a 520 owner I'm confident you'll be very pleased.

As for recommendations, we're all different with our own circumstances and needs. You'll get plenty of opinions so I'll reserve mine to tires. As an Alabaman I can't relate to your weather but do believe you'll need to change out the stock tires. Preferences vary widely. Mine came down to a need to stay at the 520's standard 50" width and to maximize the 520's functionality as a tractor. (Closest thing I have to a tractor.) In shopping/researching, among many other brands ITP tires were recommended. I'd never heard of ITP. But I liked what I heard and saw so ultimately contacted the company directly, explained my specific needs and asked questions. A company rep responded promptly and thoroughly and repeatedly. I chose 25" Mud Lite XTRs because the 8's actual width was 7.6 inches and the actual height of the 8s and 10s were both slightly over 26 inches. This maintained the 520's original width as needed (to haul in the bed of my Tundra) but added some ground clearance. Having used them since October, they've proven excellent for my use.

Another thing really impressed me about ITP. Within a week of mounting the new tires I noticed the right rear was low. I'd air and it'd go low again. I took it to the shop that mounted for me and they found the leak but said it couldn't adequately by plugged. Highly annoyed, I contacted both Dennis Kirk and ITP. I'd purchased through DK because their price was much better than any other provider. They responded that they have no warranty on atv/utv tires but offered to reduce the price of a replacement. It was a substantial discount. Then ITP responded by sending a replacement/new tire, no price, no shipping, no charge whatsoever. I was very impressed by and grateful to both DK and ITP since neither had any way of knowing whether the tire leak was pre-existing or caused by my use. So fwiw I highly recommend Dennis Kirk and ITP Tires.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good luck! Based on my short time as a 520 owner I'm confident you'll be very pleased.

As for recommendations, we're all different with our own circumstances and needs. You'll get plenty of opinions so I'll reserve mine to tires. As an Alabaman I can't relate to your weather but do believe you'll need to change out the stock tires. Preferences vary widely. Mine came down to a need to stay at the 520's standard 50" width and to maximize the 520's functionality as a tractor. (Closest thing I have to a tractor.) In shopping/researching, among many other brands ITP tires were recommended. I'd never heard of ITP. But I liked what I heard and saw so ultimately contacted the company directly, explained my specific needs and asked questions. A company rep responded promptly and thoroughly and repeatedly. I chose 25" Mud Lite XTRs because the 8's actual width was 7.6 inches and the actual height of the 8s and 10s were both slightly over 26 inches. This maintained the 520's original width as needed (to haul in the bed of my Tundra) but added some ground clearance. Having used them since October, they've proven excellent for my use.

Another thing really impressed me about ITP. Within a week of mounting the new tires I noticed the right rear was low. I'd air and it'd go low again. I took it to the shop that mounted for me and they found the leak but said it couldn't adequately by plugged. Highly annoyed, I contacted both Dennis Kirk and ITP. I'd purchased through DK because their price was much better than any other provider. They responded that they have no warranty on atv/utv tires but offered to reduce the price of a replacement. It was a substantial discount. Then ITP responded by sending a replacement/new tire, no price, no shipping, no charge whatsoever. I was very impressed by and grateful to both DK and ITP since neither had any way of knowing whether the tire leak was pre-existing or caused by my use. So fwiw I highly recommend Dennis Kirk and ITP Tires.
I run the ITP's, first set were the Black Waters, second set are Terra Hooks. I like the Terra Hooks better for an all around tire. Good luck!

advertisement
J

JRF

Sep 24, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 520
Welcome from Ontario, Canada.

Bought my P520 in October. Kudos to the dealer (at least my dealer), as they know what would be the best functional long term upgrades to have. So mine came equipped with 26 inch tires on aluminum rims, and power steering. With ps our significant others will certainly appreciate it. Next a windshield, roof and back window. For adventurous riding, perhaps off the beaten trail, a winch is prudent to have to get you out of trouble. My two cents.

Enjoy

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Her she is! Is there a preferred “one stop shop” for windshields, roofs, tires, trigger shield, skid plates, etc? I’d like to set it up with power steering too.

View attachment 319182
Rocky Mountain ATV as well as SidebySidestuff.com stole a lot of my money.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
I think I found the best price on my Bear Claw tires through Dennis Kirk. Rocky mountain ATV/MC is a good "carries just about everything" as well as they have their own in-house brand: Tusk. Most of the accessories on my machine came from the dealer. My buddy that I bought the P500 off of had previously worked at the dealer in Mt. Pleasant - Central Motor Sports. He bought the Hondaline bumpers, soft top and sound bar from them. I in-turn bought the winch and winch mount from them also. Tires came from Dennis Kirk, half windshield from RM ATV/MC and tool box off Amazon.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Her she is! Is there a preferred “one stop shop” for windshields, roofs, tires, trigger shield, skid plates, etc? I’d like to set it up with power steering too.

View attachment 319182
You can't go wrong with @SuperATV for the Hardcoat Flip up windshield, tinted roof, Power Steering, and ARMW skidplate.

For tires, the Maxxis Bighorn or Bighorn 2 are a great all around tire. For less than half the price of Maxxis BH is a copy sold by Rocky Mountain ATV called Tusk Trilobyte size 26x9x12 front and 26x10x12 rear on the OEM wheels.

6ply regular version- softer ride for P500

8ply HD version:

5AE146101D90C9ACA78DDD94B94BC76Bapp1 1522292538525 L1800

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome @Dschaffer from a former Michigander.
1a
My first add-on was a windshield. Back when I lived in Michigan (Ranger at that time) I quickly learned that winter air hitting your face is not that pleasant. When you get around to adding a windshield, make certain it is hard coated or better yet glass. My first windshield was not hard coated and scratched terribly. I ended up purchasing a glass windshield from sXswindshields, which also allows you to easily remove the front hood without taking off or loosening windshield. With a glass windshield you can scrape ice and snow off without scratching, just like on your car. I also added wipers and a windshield washer system.
Good luck and have fun spending your money on upgrades :cool::D

advertisement