5th and 6th gear chatter/ rattle under seat when under load on highway...

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is the Lucas you are using in the subtranny
107248n heavyduteengine

Reactions: pct

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Here is the link to my youtube video of the noise....
To me, that sounds more like the rods rattling. Trebley. Unless it's just the way your phone mic and my laptop speakers are reproducing it. Mine isn't that bad anymore. I'll try to get mine on audio tonight. But you said that noise goes away completely when in 4WD?

E

Eric37866

Lifetime Member
Nov 28, 2017
Sharps Chapel, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes...absolutely no noise in 4wd....cant make it do it. Also, will not do it in 4th gear or below, or in low range. In 5th or 6th in low range it seems like you can barely hear it if you really play with the throttle but its hard to make it do it. I am gonna put foam over the rods this weekend to eliminate them. The noise can be heard better with headphones or desktop speakers. Phone speakers just dont repoduce the lower frequencies very well...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

E

Eric37866

Lifetime Member
Nov 28, 2017
Sharps Chapel, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeh me too....Ive got trail armor on too so getting to that mount will be a nusiance if the rods arent the problem....watch it end up being in the transmission after i go thru all the trouble tewring it apart to find it. Drives you nuts when you are on the highway tho...

Reactions: JTW
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From what I can tell.. that sounds exactly like what mine does. I hope the rod fix does it but I’m doubtful.

Mine sounds the same when lugging it out in a higher gear, I just turn up the radio and down shift if I’m gonna maintain that speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Yeh me too....Ive got trail armor on too so getting to that mount will be a nusiance if the rods arent the problem....watch it end up being in the transmission after i go thru all the trouble tewring it apart to find it. Drives you nuts when you are on the highway tho...

I know.. my ocd kicks in and I’m twitching!

Reactions: Eric37866
J

JTW

Mine sounds the same when lugging it out in a higher gear, I just turn up the radio and down shift if I’m gonna maintain that speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s how I’ve made it this long. I was relieved to find it was just a motormount though.

J

JTW

Before you go pulling skids off. Try and reach that motor mount bolt and tighten it up. See if that’s doesn’t change your sound.

E

Eric37866

Lifetime Member
Nov 28, 2017
Sharps Chapel, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
May be what i end up doing if its not an easy fix....at this point im just curious as to what it is and if all or some of the other pioneer 1000's do it. I dont remember hearing it when i first got it, but its got 1100 miles on it now and ive been noticing it for the past 300 miles.. My buddy has a pioneer just like mine. I drove his and i can hear it some in his but its about half as loud and not very noticeable. His quits on 4wd also. That makes me want to blame the sub tranny or possibly thst front mount. When yoy are driving it witjout the seat so you can look down on the motor there is quite a bit of vibration and shaking going on....more than i imagined there would be. Ill tighten that mount first thing though...

J

JTW

May be what i end up doing if its not an easy fix....at this point im just curious as to what it is and if all or some of the other pioneer 1000's do it. I dont remember hearing it when i first got it, but its got 1100 miles on it now and ive been noticing it for the past 300 miles.. My buddy has a pioneer just like mine. I drove his and i can hear it some in his but its about half as loud and not very noticeable. His quits on 4wd also. That makes me want to blame the sub tranny or possibly thst front mount. When yoy are driving it witjout the seat so you can look down on the motor there is quite a bit of vibration and shaking going on....more than i imagined there would be. Ill tighten that mount first thing though...

Mine didn’t do it brand new. It just happened all the sudden after I had the floorboards out and had been working on wiring everything in the beginning. I had assumed it was the rods but my fixes never fixed it. I had asked the same question before and someone had made mention of a “ball valve” rattling that kept oil from spilling out. (I dunno, it was a new one one me) so I just let it go at that. It wasn’t until I was making the new skid that I found what I think to be the culprit.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well I'll be damned... I checked my rig tonight and lo and behold, it rattles in 5th and 6th gears at low rpm and in 2WD. That part I knew. What I didn't know was that it doesn't rattle at all when in 4WD! I'm thinking it's gotta be a front prop output gear or a shift fork that's not under load and therefore "floating", for lack of a better word. So...someone mentioned Lucas stabilizer quiets it down?

Reactions: pct and JTW
J

JTW

Well I'll be damned... I checked my rig tonight and lo and behold, it rattles in 5th and 6th gears at low rpm and in 2WD. That part I knew. What I didn't know was that it doesn't rattle at all when in 4WD! I'm thinking it's gotta be a front prop output gear or a shift fork that's not under load and therefore "floating", for lack of a better word. So...someone mentioned Lucas stabilizer quiets it down?
Now I’m gunna have to try mine in 4wd.

Reactions: 0860silverado
E

Eric37866

Lifetime Member
Nov 28, 2017
Sharps Chapel, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well it seems that mine isn't the only one doing it, which makes me feel better. I don't like that noise though. If you notice, you can ease out on the throttle and it will hush. I guess I'm a little picky. These machines aren't trucks and we can't expect them to be as refined, yet I payed more for this thing than I did for any of my other vehicles!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well it seems that mine isn't the only one doing it, which makes me feel better. I don't like that noise though. If you notice, you can ease out on the throttle and it will hush. I guess I'm a little picky. These machines aren't trucks and we can't expect them to be as refined, yet I payed more for this thing than I did for any of my other vehicles!

Same here. I can tolerate constant gear whine better than I can a rattle! In my mind, gear whine is a normal anticipated sound that a machine makes while in operation. During it's design phase, I doubt the Honda engineers said "Okay guys...This design is going to emit a rattling sound when in 5th or 6th gear at low rpm in 2WD. Perfect."

Reactions: Eric37866
S

Shag

May 28, 2018
Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
So I've started noticing that when I'm on the highway in either 5th or 6th gear, with a slight load or accelerating condition, that my 1000-5 emits a chatter or rattling like noise that seems to be coming from under the seat or under the passenger floorboard. If you ease off the gas it will go away. I really notice it mostly in 6th going up a very slight incline. It will not do this noise in any of the lower gears, nor will it do it in 4wd. Does anyone else with one of these machine have a noise like this? I'm trying to figure out if its normal or not. My bike has about 1100 miles on it. Thanks in advance for any replies or opinions on this....

I bought a new 500 pioneer and mine sounds like there bolts loose on the ring gear. I called the dealership in logon wva. Said it's normal

Reactions: 0860silverado
J

jzimbo12

Aug 15, 2022
New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine does it too.. I’m pretty sure I found the cause but haven’t fixed it yet. I’m 95% sure mine is coming from a motor mount. If you raise the front of your machine and drop the skid plate. Shake the s*** out of the motor and see if you don’t hear it. I have a video

View attachment 78732
Any chance you still have this video? I'm having a similar issue with my 2022 1000-5.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Mine rattled from detonation. I pulled timing out with the PV3 in the cruise range. 93 octane helped.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!