P700 7-4 OEM Skid Plate Ideas

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok .. so I mangled up my OEM rear “skid plate” (words used loosely) last night crossing a creek in the dark. The good news is that my new LED front light works great underwater ... bad news is that it didn’t illuminate the boulder lurking below (nor did I expect it to). So my front deflector has a shiny (litterally) new rather large dent and the rear plastic skid plate is kaput. Overall, I was spared any sizable damage.

So, I’m looking for any suggestions and/or recommendations from the club as to what you have replaced yours with and how well it worked out. Honestly, I love the trail armor ... but the budget says otherwise. As much as I like the challenge of contrstrucing something in the shop, I would really prefer a bolt on solution for this right now.

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts on this.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ok .. so I mangled up my OEM rear “skid plate” (words used loosely) last night crossing a creek in the dark. The good news is that my new LED front light works great underwater ... bad news is that it didn’t illuminate the boulder lurking below (nor did I expect it to). So my front deflector has a shiny (litterally) new rather large dent and the rear plastic skid plate is kaput. Overall, I was spared any sizable damage.

So, I’m looking for any suggestions and/or recommendations from the club as to what you have replaced yours with and how well it worked out. Honestly, I love the trail armor ... but the budget says otherwise. As much as I like the challenge of contrstrucing something in the shop, I would really prefer a bolt on solution for this right now.

I helped a friend of mine put a set of Trail Armor on his 700, the fit was great.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Trail armor and SSS Offraod is about it for skid plate. Next to making your own...
Price sucks, I know.
A lot of people have bought the plastic and done it theirselves...

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have my factory skids off my 2015 700-4. If you need them for a template there yours for shipping cost.

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I appreciate the offer Tramgauge, thank you. Still googling options as well as pricing materials for a build. I managed to heat gun mine close to its original shape, minus 2 holes and part of the center that must have floated downstream ... but it’s enough to work with for now.

If anyone in the Chesapeake Bay Area finds my skid plate missing pieces, let me know. I estimate the trip from here about 3-4 days so they should be floating by sometime around Weds-Thurs this week. Thanks.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I appreciate the offer Tramgauge, thank you. Still googling options as well as pricing materials for a build. I managed to heat gun mine close to its original shape, minus 2 holes and part of the center that must have floated downstream ... but it’s enough to work with for now.

If anyone in the Chesapeake Bay Area finds my skid plate missing pieces, let me know. I estimate the trip from here about 3-4 days so they should be floating by sometime around Weds-Thurs this week. Thanks.
Shoot 3/4 inch ply board would be offer more protection than the stock skid plate and provide some floatation, HA!, Been thinking of making mud flaps out of my original skid. I totally understand not being in the budget, just ride really carful, until it's in the budget, then buy quality skids, easier said than done, I know!

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ugggg .... I bit the bullet and ordered the TA full skid .... I have 30 days to figure out how to pay for it lol.

When I priced similar materials and added up my time, a bolt on just made more sense for me with my endless work situation.

As always, I REALLY appreciate everyone's input. Thank you.

Reactions: Superfan75
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
You will be happy with the trail armor. Just be careful when putting in the bolts not to over tighten them cause the treads on bottom strip easily

Reactions: Deluxe700
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own

This looks like a reasonably priced bolt on option, 2013-2018 HONDA PIONEER 700 3/16" ALUMINUM SKID PLATE USA MADE | eBay

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
You will be happy with the trail armor. Just be careful when putting in the bolts not to over tighten them cause the treads on bottom strip easily

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I appreciate the heads up.

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok TA on and looking to give it a test this weekend.

While putting on the middle plate, I notice a short, small kind of L shaped hose coming from the engine just below the water lines. It was facing downward and I just figured it was a vent. Later today (after I left the machine) I was thinking about it again. Obviously, that's not a vent or it would be located much higher. The only other idea I have is it must be some kind of pressure relief or soft plug? Anyone have any idea what it is?

Disclaimer, LOL, my machine is stored at my shop not my house .... so I can't go outside and look.

Thanks.

P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok, took another look at it. I’m presuming it’s the oil pump because I see 4 hoses, looks like 2 go to the heat exchanger.

It’s a small L shaped rubber hose off of the oil pump I believe, if that helps.

I looked at an exploded parts view and don’t see it listed.

***** New thread started on this in proper forum, since topic has changed *****

Last edited:
P

PolkaJoe

Nov 5, 2017
NEPA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Conclusion for anyone possibly in the market for a skid plate; It works awesome, it slid right over rocks like butter. Yes, the Trail Armor is PRICEY ... but it was a real easy install and works super.

Note: They do drain well, but some sediment does start to pile up. After installing these I fully expected that to happen. I let it cool down, parked it front end up about 15-20 degrees, put the hose on semi-fog pattern and slid the hose running right down the upper side of the kit and just about everything washed out easy.

Reactions: Superfan75
Bluesnipe

Bluesnipe

Supporting Member
Aug 31, 2018
Hiddenite, North Carolina
Ownership

1. 700-4
To stiffing them up. I Love in swampland (Louisiana) lots of cypress knees hiding under the water here. Plus I have about 20 sheets of it sitting in my shop.

I am just throwing this in for consideration. I get the idea and that you have lots of spare. But anything solid such as stumps, rocks etc, the diamond plate will grab on to the obstacle and probably will be a hinderance to you.
Unless, of course, you planned to turn slick side down, in which case, disregard this, because my whole reply is meaningless.
Carry on.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!