1. 700-4
IMG 3774
IMG 3780
IMG 3783
IMG 3786
IMG 3790
IMG 3774
IMG 3780
I got the ole girl out of the garage yesterday and took her to the little Sahara in Oklahoma. It was a 90 degree day in the middle of feb and the kids were getting stir crazy anyhow. The inter-webs didn't have many reviews on how our rigs will do on the dunes so I figured I would share my experience.

The dunes were full of Polaris and can-am sports models and they were the ones doing all the jumping (and wrecking). Not my forte since it was the family's first time. From what I noticed I was the only pioneer on the sand....

I didn't buy paddles because I was a little worried how it would do on the talk hills and if I would even take it back out. I just lowered the tire pressure down to about 4 psi. I put in 4 hi and never got buried up.

I finally found out what everyone was talking about with the front shocks on these rigs. I bottomed them out more than a hand full of times. Their replacement is now the top of my list....

The Honda tranny didn't let me down on the steepest hills. Right when I thought I was gonna have to go down the 70' dune in reverse the rig down shifted and crawled right up.

I have my cage chopped 4" all the way around and I'm glad I did. When I would ride the side of the dunes at full throttle the rig stuck to the side of the hill like it was supposed to and made my kids pee their pants (literally).

I had the yeti strapped to the tailgate since the back seats were up and I guess one of the times I bottomed out it broke one of the tailgate cables...

I didn't do any drag racing or jumping but it was still a nice time. The squaw and 2 boys had a blast. I'll definitely be going back and if your up in the air on taking your pioneer to the sand, I can vouch for Honda and let you know that it will be fine.

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I wondered how an SXS would do there without paddles. I might give it a try. Looks like you had a blast. That is really a neat place. I spent a couple of days there years ago, filming some TV commercials with some old school dune buggys. They used that area during World War II as training area for desert warfare. Brought in camels too, in case the troops had to improvise. According to the locals, some of them got loose and hung around for a long time.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 33241 View attachment 33242 View attachment 33243 View attachment 33244 View attachment 33245 View attachment 33241 View attachment 33242 I got the ole girl out of the garage yesterday and took her to the little Sahara in Oklahoma. It was a 90 degree day in the middle of feb and the kids were getting stir crazy anyhow. The inter-webs didn't have many reviews on how our rigs will do on the dunes so I figured I would share my experience.

The dunes were full of Polaris and can-am sports models and they were the ones doing all the jumping (and wrecking). Not my forte since it was the family's first time. From what I noticed I was the only pioneer on the sand....

I didn't buy paddles because I was a little worried how it would do on the talk hills and if I would even take it back out. I just lowered the tire pressure down to about 4 psi. I put in 4 hi and never got buried up.

I finally found out what everyone was talking about with the front shocks on these rigs. I bottomed them out more than a hand full of times. Their replacement is now the top of my list....

The Honda tranny didn't let me down on the steepest hills. Right when I thought I was gonna have to go down the 70' dune in reverse the rig down shifted and crawled right up.

I have my cage chopped 4" all the way around and I'm glad I did. When I would ride the side of the dunes at full throttle the rig stuck to the side of the hill like it was supposed to and made my kids pee their pants (literally).

I had the yeti strapped to the tailgate since the back seats were up and I guess one of the times I bottomed out it broke one of the tailgate cables...

I didn't do any drag racing or jumping but it was still a nice time. The squaw and 2 boys had a blast. I'll definitely be going back and if your up in the air on taking your pioneer to the sand, I can vouch for Honda and let you know that it will be fine.
That's very cool. Where exactly in OK is that. Say, aren't you flying the wrong flag for an okie? :D

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's very cool. Where exactly in OK is that. Say, aren't you flying the wrong flag for an okie? :D

Awesome! If I remember correctly it's waynoka. Been a few years since I was out there. It's about 2 hours from okc I think. Towards the west. I have a video of a rail we had out there I will try and find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Montecresto
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome! If I remember correctly it's waynoka. Been a few years since I was out there. It's about 2 hours from okc I think. Towards the west. I have a video of a rail we had out there I will try and find.

I've just uploaded a movie to YouTube!
You can check it out here:

I had a couple videos from inside the cab but I'm holding the phone and it's pretty choppy. Middle of the week. We were the only ones there. It was fun.

Reactions: swsebek and Tflynn
dtaber8604

dtaber8604

Nov 20, 2015
OKC
Ownership

1. 700-4
It is in Wynoka, OK. Really cool little town that is Off-road friendly. You can drive your rigs from the dune to the gas station and even a dyno shop without the 5-0 writing you a ticket. I'm military and stationed in OKC but that doesn't keep me from representing those hogs! WPS!!!!

Reactions: swsebek and nbomar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It is in Wynoka, OK. Really cool little town that is Off-road friendly. You can drive your rigs from the dune to the gas station and even a dyno shop without the 5-0 writing you a ticket. I'm military and stationed in OKC but that doesn't keep me from representing those hogs! WPS!!!!
Lol, I have a lake house in Hot Springs so I'm a Razorback fan and an OU fan. :) I'm going to ride those dunes one day!

Reactions: nbomar

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!