P700m2 700 purchase mentoring needed please!

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
I just purchased a 2017 p4 last week. I too was concerned about the You Tube videos with a the lack of power up hills, but after a lot of research I pulled the trigger anyway. I believe most of the issues were with the 2014 model that had no way to compensate for the thin air at higher altitudes. I only have 5 hours on mine, but have tested it on some pretty steep rutted trails with no problems at all. I went to buy the deluxe but ended up with the base after driving one at the dealership. The power steering was not need in my opinion and I would very rarely use the paddle shift. I was also able to get the dealer to give a bigger discount on the base as well. I have had some higher powered machines but hardly ever used the power they had due to fact I just don't enjoy putting my self and machine in such danger.
Welcome to the forum. Great information. What colour did you get? Pictures?

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I just purchased a 2017 p4 last week. I too was concerned about the You Tube videos with a the lack of power up hills, but after a lot of research I pulled the trigger anyway. I believe most of the issues were with the 2014 model that had no way to compensate for the thin air at higher altitudes. I only have 5 hours on mine, but have tested it on some pretty steep rutted trails with no problems at all. I went to buy the deluxe but ended up with the base after driving one at the dealership. The power steering was not need in my opinion and I would very rarely use the paddle shift. I was also able to get the dealer to give a bigger discount on the base as well. I have had some higher powered machines but hardly ever used the power they had due to fact I just don't enjoy putting my self and machine in such danger.
I think the complaints about lack of power are an unintentional mischaractorization of the problem we are experiencing, it's the lack of a low crawling gear. Not everybody wants to have to hammer down every time we need to climb a steep rutted out hillside.

B

BAMASXSRIDER

Feb 6, 2017
ALABAMA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum. Great information. What colour did you get? Pictures?
I got red, wanted the blue but not available for 2017 on the p4. I will get some pics maybe this week end.

S

SmokinJoe

Jan 28, 2017
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks to all of you for the very useful information you've shared. I greatly appreciate it. You've really helped me with my decision making.

Thanks again!

Smokin Joe

Reactions: Tramguage1
S

SmokinJoe

Jan 28, 2017
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Last question: Just how necessary (or desirable) is the paddle shift and auto/manual mode in the 17'? Been watching YouTube videos of the 2014-2016 Pioneer 700 (w/out paddle shift) and also vids of the old Big Red and they look pretty darn capable without paddle shift. What does paddle shift and the auto/manual switchable mode add to drivability?

TIA

Smokin Joe

B

BAMASXSRIDER

Feb 6, 2017
ALABAMA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last question: Just how necessary (or desirable) is the paddle shift and auto/manual mode in the 17'? Been watching YouTube videos of the 2014-2016 Pioneer 700 (w/out paddle shift) and also vids of the old Big Red and they look pretty darn capable without paddle shift. What does paddle shift and the auto/manual switchable mode add to drivability?

TIA

Smokin Joe
Well don't know how often I would use a paddle shifter, but I did run into a situation yesterday where they would have been useful. I when into a fairly large mud hole, not knowing how deep it was, so I hit it pretty hard. As I get to the deepest part, the trans shift into second gear and before it down shifted into first I had lost all momentum. I made it through, but it was close. Out of a full day of riding that was the only time I would have used them.

Last edited:
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire

TIA

Smokin Joe
Na you don't need them, just put it on "D" and go

S

SmokinJoe

Jan 28, 2017
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So, we made a deposit on a machine from the dealer in Medford, Oregon. They have to order it in because they don't have a 2017 P700 deluxe two-seater in stock and no other dealers in the region have one either. Should be 30-60 days before we take delivery. Looking forward to it. I believe we made a good decision. Thank you to all of you for your advise and insights. It is very much appreciated.

Smokin Joe

Reactions: Montecresto
MattSadler

MattSadler

Feb 17, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-4
Gentlemen:

My wife and I want to purchase a side by side Pioneer for recreational trail riding and camping (we live close to a lot of high desert territory desirable for exploring and camping). We've pretty much decided it has to be a Honda. Initially, I had narrowed down my choices to either the 1000-3 (deluxe) or the 500. The problem with the 1000 is that it is more money than we want to spend. Conversely, my concern with the 500 is that it is not enough machine for two adults and 2-3 days of camping gear and supplies.

I've since decided to take a closer look at the 700. I was initially put off with the 700 because I read some reports that first gear is not low enough such that, with the automatically clutched tranny, you can get in situations where the engine will not spin the wheels. (if you've ever ridden a Trail 90, you know what I am talking about). For example, there is a video on YouTube where a rider is trying to scale a fairly steep rock face (not too steep to climb though) and the wheels simply will not turn because the gearing is not low enough to provide torque to turn the wheels with the automatic clutch.

So here is my question (actually two of them): How big of a problem is this alleged lack of sufficiently low gearing in the 700? I've seen videos on YouTube where guys are plowing snow with the 700 and successfully driving through deep mud, suggesting the auto clutch and tranny give plenty of low end torque, but then again there are also videos (and rider reports) that the lack of a low enough gear is a real limitation of the machine.

The second question is, how much of a difference in machine performance does the paddle shifter and choice between auto/manual mode make? My wife and I are both near 60 and we are not going to be mudding or pushing the machine speed wise, but I can see us hauling several hundred pounds of gear, maybe pulling a small trailer and driving up some steep grades.

Any thoughts from 700 owners is appreciated.

Thanks,

SmokinJoe
Joe,
Gentlemen:

My wife and I want to purchase a side by side Pioneer for recreational trail riding and camping (we live close to a lot of high desert territory desirable for exploring and camping). We've pretty much decided it has to be a Honda. Initially, I had narrowed down my choices to either the 1000-3 (deluxe) or the 500. The problem with the 1000 is that it is more money than we want to spend. Conversely, my concern with the 500 is that it is not enough machine for two adults and 2-3 days of camping gear and supplies.

I've since decided to take a closer look at the 700. I was initially put off with the 700 because I read some reports that first gear is not low enough such that, with the automatically clutched tranny, you can get in situations where the engine will not spin the wheels. (if you've ever ridden a Trail 90, you know what I am talking about). For example, there is a video on YouTube where a rider is trying to scale a fairly steep rock face (not too steep to climb though) and the wheels simply will not turn because the gearing is not low enough to provide torque to turn the wheels with the automatic clutch.

So here is my question (actually two of them): How big of a problem is this alleged lack of sufficiently low gearing in the 700? I've seen videos on YouTube where guys are plowing snow with the 700 and successfully driving through deep mud, suggesting the auto clutch and tranny give plenty of low end torque, but then again there are also videos (and rider reports) that the lack of a low enough gear is a real limitation of the machine.

The second question is, how much of a difference in machine performance does the paddle shifter and choice between auto/manual mode make? My wife and I are both near 60 and we are not going to be mudding or pushing the machine speed wise, but I can see us hauling several hundred pounds of gear, maybe pulling a small trailer and driving up some steep grades.

Any thoughts from 700 owners is appreciated.

Thanks,

SmokinJoe
Hey joe, I have a p-700-4 and when i was in the purchaseing market ( which lasted a while ) i almost did not go with the 700 because of all the rumors. Pls believe me,they are very exaggerated. I love my pioneer and have never ran into any real problems and i allways have a full crew with me. Now dont get me wrong im not a sport rider, but i am very satisfied with my purchase of 4 months now.

Reactions: Tflynn
MattSadler

MattSadler

Feb 17, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-4
Joe,

Hey joe, I have a p-700-4 and when i was in the purchaseing market ( which lasted a while ) i almost did not go with the 700 because of all the rumors. Pls believe me,they are very exaggerated. I love my pioneer and have never ran into any real problems and i allways have a full crew with me. Now dont get me wrong im not a sport rider, but i am very satisfied with my purchase of 4 months now.
Let me know how u like ur bike

S

SmokinJoe

Jan 28, 2017
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Let me know how u like ur bike

Thanks for the information Matt. We put a deposit down on the 700-2 Deluxe. Should have it in 30-60 days. Looking forward to it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!