Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wonder what ply they are then?

Not sure but I’d say less than 4. Roctane is one of the few tires that list “8 ply construction”. Now they got a 10 ply construction tire available.

Reactions: sharp, JTW and BWAF
J

JTW

Not sure but I’d say less than 4. Roctane is one of the few tires that list “8 ply construction”. Now they got a 10 ply construction tire available.
Interesting.. I hadn’t noticed the wording. I wonder what an 8 ply rated construction actually means?

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
J

JTW

471022A0 9D72 4D3C 8E9C E99B16802890

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
May I ask what brand and size of wheels are you using are where did you buy them---out here in NB I will be ordering online and picking up "cross border".
May I ask what brand and size of wheels are you using are where did you buy them---out here in NB I will be ordering online and picking up "cross border".
I may have misled you - I still have the Honda 14" deluxe stock aluminum wheels. The local shop refers to "glued rims" as "bead locked" I've never had a problem with bead leaks, although these run flats sound like they probably need a proper bead lock rim. Will give them a call to confirm. This promo video shows bead lock rims: RP Spartan Atv Utv Run Flat Tires – GPS Offroad Products
Re cross border savings, as you know depends on what it is. i.e. Maxxis Bighorn 2.0's fronts are close ($178 Vs $161 CAD using 30% exchange) No question about buying Spartans in the US (i.e. rear tire $386 Vs $223 CAD incl 30% exchange)

Honda1000-5

Honda1000-5

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2018
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I may have misled you - I still have the Honda 14" deluxe stock aluminum wheels. The local shop refers to "glued rims" as "bead locked" I've never had a problem with bead leaks, although these run flats sound like they probably need a proper bead lock rim. Will give them a call to confirm. This promo video shows bead lock rims: RP Spartan Atv Utv Run Flat Tires – GPS Offroad Products
Re cross border savings, as you know depends on what it is. i.e. Maxxis Bighorn 2.0's fronts are close ($178 Vs $161 CAD using 30% exchange) No question about buying Spartans in the US (i.e. rear tire $386 Vs $223 CAD incl 30% exchange)

Thank you. How is the ride and handling compared to the bighorn 2.0's? Do you use a sealant?

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Haven't got the tires yet (with Christmas coming, truck insurance and winter here now, will probably wait until March) Will let you know when I get them on.
Thank you. How is the ride and handling compared to the bighorn 2.0's? Do you use a sealant?
Good news, just called Goldspeed and they said bead lock rims are not necessary with the RP Spartan tires. Just use a good rim sealant.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting.. I hadn’t noticed the wording. I wonder what an 8 ply rated construction actually means?
When I was doing all my reading into tires I seem to remember somewhere them saying that Ply rating does not mean what it use to mean but they still put it on tires because everyone likes that metric.

"The load range/ply rating branded on a tire’s sidewall identifies how much load the tire is designed to carry at its industry specified pressure. Today’s load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers used to make up the tire’s internal structure, but indicate an equivalent strength compared to early bias ply tires"

also the rating can be different for sidewall so a 8 ply tire can be say a 4 or 6 on sidewall.... fairly sure the Bighorn 2.0 are like 2ply on the sidewall....

unfortunately I think weight is a good indicator - year we don't want the heavy tires but a 40lb tire in the same advertised size as a 32lb tire is going to be a heavier duty tire and probably have stronger sidewalls..

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I was doing all my reading into tires I seem to remember somewhere them saying that Ply rating does not mean what it use to mean but they still put it on tires because everyone likes that metric.

"The load range/ply rating branded on a tire’s sidewall identifies how much load the tire is designed to carry at its industry specified pressure. Today’s load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers used to make up the tire’s internal structure, but indicate an equivalent strength compared to early bias ply tires"

also the rating can be different for sidewall so a 8 ply tire can be say a 4 or 6 on sidewall.... fairly sure the Bighorn 2.0 are like 2ply on the sidewall....

unfortunately I think weight is a good indicator - year we don't want the heavy tires but a 40lb tire in the same advertised size as a 32lb tire is going to be a heavier duty tire and probably have stronger sidewalls..
I agree. There is no official ply rating for atv tires. I really liked the carnivore but the weight rating barely covers the rig and that's at 18 psi.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree. There is no official ply rating for atv tires. I really liked the carnivore but the weight rating barely covers the rig and that's at 18 psi.
I like the look of the carnivore's and a couple people I talk to that have them and all say they do good on "everything but wet rock" to which I respond what does good on Wet Rock?

Honda1000-5

Honda1000-5

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2018
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the look of the carnivore's and a couple people I talk to that have them and all say they do good on "everything but wet rock" to which I respond what does good on Wet Rock?
I too like the tread depth and pattern of Carnivores but the load rating is low and they are rather light weight which concerns me for punctures. I examined a pair at my dealer and the mid tread area seemed very thin and soft---hard to beleive it was "8PR" . I want to replace the Maxxis BH 2-0's with something more puncture resistant for back country confidence.My thoughts are going more to Roctane XD's or even the Spartan RP Run Flats. I am looking at load rating and weight as perhaps more important than Ply Rating.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I too like the tread depth and pattern of Carnivores but the load rating is low and they are rather light weight which concerns me for punctures. I examined a pair at my dealer and the mid tread area seemed very thin and soft---hard to beleive it was "8PR" . I want to replace the Maxxis BH 2-0's with something more puncture resistant for back country confidence.My thoughts are going more to Roctane XD's or even the Spartan RP Run Flats. I am looking at load rating and weight as perhaps more important than Ply Rating.

Something to consider. I went through the same thing and got the roctanes like mentioned many times above. They just beat the vehicle and passengers. My suspension and steering bushings wore quickly.

Part to consider: Now I’m running a softer, lighter and cheaper tire and carry a tube, plugs, CO2 kit and 12v compressor. My spare tire stays in the truck. Got to have bead locks to make easy trail side repair use of the tube though.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!