Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What I should have said, i suppose, is: if the Trilobite and Terrabite get separate entries, why not the 446 and 846?

I thought about this too. I put them together because I didn’t think they’d get a lot of votes. If it were in the top three then I’d separate them but with a very small percentage of votes I don’t see the need to.

The trilobites and terrabites are very different and I knew the terrabites would be popular. I just threw the trilobites in there due to the loss rating and price. That a good tread pattern that’s popular and I think it may take off more. Especially after @CumminsPusher reviews them.

E

Ed_Dyer

Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2018
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One of the most impressive long lasting tires I’ve ever owned. There name is perfect as they Rip and Saw through almost anything. I have cut trails on my foreman when others couldn’t! So they deserve to be on the list!
The factory load ratings scared me away from the Rip Saw's. I didn't know if they had any bearing on reality, since most look suspiciously low, and random, as does the max. operating pressure (and there's also those meager six piies). Numerous tires on this poll/list have similar pressure and load limits (and ply ratings). Maxxis sometimes avoids this problem simply by not specifying a maximum load or operating pressure.
Rip Saw RT specs 2018

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The factory load ratings scared me away from the Rip Saw's. I didn't know if they had any bearing on reality, since most look suspiciously low, and random, as does the max. operating pressure (and there's also those meager six piies). Numerous tires on this poll/list have similar pressure and load limits (and ply ratings). Maxxis sometimes avoids this problem simply by not specifying a maximum load or operating pressure.
View attachment 94280

Agreed! At rush springs this year, @Tramguage1 got in a nasty situation and even with his tires at max inflation the wheel was touching the rocks. I still think of his tires wouldn’t have collapsed down he wouldn’t have been so close to rolling. I know Pam didn’t look happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honda1000-5

Honda1000-5

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2018
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought the same thing. pricing messes up the true result of the poll.
At this time these will be my spring replacements in order of preference: 27" STI Roctane XD,28" Kenda Bear Claw HTR and 28" Carniores---but when I examined the Carniores at the dealer the tread area seemed very soft. Probably will go with those tougher Roctane with the 11" rears and 9" fronts?

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
E

Ed_Dyer

Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2018
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agreed! At rush springs this year, @Tramguage1 got in a nasty situation and even with his tires at max inflation the wheel was touching the rocks. I still think of his tires wouldn’t have collapsed down he wouldn’t have been so close to rolling. I know Pam didn’t look happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After I got a flat (sliced sidewall) this summer in a rear OEM BH2 (4-ply) at an inconvenient situation, I went looking for 8-ply radials (non-mudders and non-hardpack) with a load rating over 1000 lbs. All that I found at the time was
Blackwater Evolution
Maxxis Coronado
Rocktane XD Kevlar

coming in at 930lb load rating:
Quadboss QBT446
The load rating on the Quadboss 846 (560 lb) was roughly half of that for the 446 (27x11-14), the opposite of what I expected.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes I had the motoclaw, it's a hard tire and not the ideal tire for tennessee from my experience. I also had a hard time keeping air in them. Basically I got them because they were already on some wheels that I liked at the dealer and figured I would try them out. That was before I joined the club and didn't know any better. All in all I guess they were ok
I the same as you with the motoclaws. Sweet looking apearence and hard as a rock just issues with keeping air in them a real PITA. I just bought some truck tires Achilles desert hawk MT 30”. They look good, they should hold up in a majority of the conditions I ride in.

Reactions: joeymt33 and sharp
SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi guys,
My original Maxxis Bighorn 2.0's are two summers old and about 40% worn. First season no problems, this year two replacements (one front, one rear) So I am done with 6 ply tires! Ordering a set of 4 RP Spartan 12 ply run flats. They are heavy and expensive, but I travel 50-75 miles back in the mountains on rough and rocky trails, quite often by myself so don't want to risk having to walk out.
Has anyone had experience with these RP Spartan tires? The online write-ups are excellent.

J

JTW

Hi guys,
My original Maxxis Bighorn 2.0's are two summers old and about 40% worn. First season no problems, this year two replacements (one front, one rear) So I am done with 6 ply tires! Ordering a set of 4 RP Spartan 12 ply run flats. They are heavy and expensive, but I travel 50-75 miles back in the mountains on rough and rocky trails, quite often by myself so don't want to risk having to walk out.
Has anyone had experience with these RP Spartan tires? The online write-ups are excellent.
Cool.. never heard of them. I bet they’re heavy.

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi JTW,
The RP Spartans by Goldspeed will run flat for 50 miles at 40 mph with a 550 lb load per tire. Lighter payloads and lower speed trials have gone over 600 miles with all 4 tires absolutely flat. Developed for military UTV's, the tread looks very similar to a Maxxis Bighorn. Will let you know how they perform. RP Spartan Series Bias 12-PLY Run-Flat Off-Road Tire

Honda1000-5

Honda1000-5

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2018
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi JTW,
The RP Spartans by Goldspeed will run flat for 50 miles at 40 mph with a 550 lb load per tire. Lighter payloads and lower speed trials have gone over 600 miles with all 4 tires absolutely flat. Developed for military UTV's, the tread looks very similar to a Maxxis Bighorn. Will let you know how they perform. RP Spartan Series Bias 12-PLY Run-Flat Off-Road Tire
These sound very interesting as an alternative to to something like STI Roctane XD-K's.They would boost confidence for riding alone in remote country. Are Bead Lock Wheels necessary?

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure though all my wheels are bead lock. Also carry one spare tire on the rear rack and a second spare for long remote trips. These run flats should help that situation. Planning a 350 mile trip from Castlegar to Vernon, all on old mining/logging roads, rail trails and off road. Zero people along that route, so these Spartan tires sound like the answer.

Reactions: Rambo and sharp
D

Deleted member 3748

The Rip Saws are only a 6-ply tire but they are super durable so it doesn't matter. What I like about them is the traction. They will get you through anything and the ride is smoother over the stock tires since the Rip Saw is a radial. The only thing I don't like about them is the weight. It was a noticeable performance hit on the P500 and I still notice it now that I'm riding an 850 Other. Oh, and sand... they are terrible in the sand. If none of the negatives bother you and you want a set of (4) 26x10-12 Rip Saws on ITP SS212s with maybe 500 miles on them, send me a PM. The tires still look new!

J

JTW

Not sure though all my wheels are bead lock. Also carry one spare tire on the rear rack and a second spare for long remote trips. These run flats should help that situation. Planning a 350 mile trip from Castlegar to Vernon, all on old mining/logging roads, rail trails and off road. Zero people along that route, so these Spartan tires sound like the answer.
Do you have a co2 setup for inflating tires and resetting beads? Spare tie rods?

J

JTW

Hi guys,
Also.. your stock bighorn 2.0’s are 4ply not 6.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
These sound very interesting as an alternative to to something like STI Roctane XD-K's.They would boost confidence for riding alone in remote country. Are Bead Lock Wheels necessary?
If u have to change a tire in the field, double bead locks make it easy. No bead to break.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What about the new BFG Mud-Terrain KM3?

They are a great looking tire and the truck tire has awesome reviews.

I am trying to decide between them and the Sedona Rockabilly.

I have liked my Roctane XD, but they are stiff, rough, and don't do worth a crap in wet conditions and are horrible in mud.

Honda1000-5

Honda1000-5

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2018
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure though all my wheels are bead lock. Also carry one spare tire on the rear rack and a second spare for long remote trips. These run flats should help that situation. er". Planning a 350 mile trip from Castlegar to Vernon, all on old mining/logging roads, rail trails and off road. Zero people along that route, so these Spartan tires sound like the answer.
May I ask what brand and size of wheels are you using are where did you buy them---out here in NB I will be ordering online and picking up "cross border".

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I have liked my Roctane XD, but they are stiff, rough, and don't do worth a crap in wet conditions and are horrible in mud.

They are super stiff and rough, I’ll give you that. But I thought they work pretty good in the mud. Though I did have the 30 inch size so maybe that helped.

After I cut sipes in every lug, it performed much better in rocks whether they be wet or dry.

55e497ce3b9e5adc8922c61a3155ef17

J

JTW

I’d try the BFG

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!