P1000 814 or Walker Evans

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Trying to decide between 814 and Walker Evans shocks/springs for my 1000-5. I read good thing about both. I have a 2” lift and want to either keep it, or have the shocks do the lift. Running 28” tires and 2” spacers. Only ride on the Forest Service roads and trails in Colorado, and dont go very fast (<40 mph, until I get better shocks). But need something to smooth out the bumps, and help out when hitting big rocks. I also dont want to constantly be making adjustments to the shock settings when I drive different trails or roads.
Anyone used both and have good comparisons?

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked at them all and settled on the Fox's, they maybe aren't as fine tuned as the other two but for the price and what I needed they were the best deal for me. I ride mostly sandy forrest trails up to 40 mph.

Reactions: Herbie
1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the 814's. I'm happy with them but I only have stock delux shocks to compare. I don't think the price point is the same on the 2 different shocks. The 814’s are not a plug and play setup. You have to put them together, break them in and tune them. All very easy. Once they are set it's done. You don't have to mess with it but you still have very noticeable options. Like slow paced rocky trails you can click the compression knob down and it will flex like crazy. Sometimes I do faster, switchback dirt roads and those portholes would skip me all over the road. Now I don't even feel them. I went with the 814's because they where the best price and the guy lives down the road from me.

Reactions: Herbie
michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To each their own on this topic, but here was my logic on deciding which shocks to go with.

I’ve seen reports of happy and disgruntled customers which each brand from either on our Honda’s or other UTVs.

First and foremost, cost was a consideration so that knocked out the Stage 4/5 Elka’s...more on that later.

Next was their background.

Fox was founded in 1978, Elka in 2000, Walker Evans in 1994 (although their racing heritage goes back further) and 814 in 2016.

Fox shocks are without a doubt better than the OEM shocks on the standard Pioneer and Deluxe models, but they’re still built to meet OEM specs for the LE’s. For most, that’s a great choice and the price point that I’ve seen folks get them for make them a sweet deal. They offer preload and 3-stage compression adjustments.

Elka’s have the heritage in racing with a lot of experience, but if you want full adjustability, you have to step up to the Stage 4’s or higher which start getting pricey. Stage 3’s offer compression and preload adjustability. They pull experience from just about every line of racing that you could think of on 4 wheels and snowmobiles.

Walker Evans have years of racing heritage, they’re built to order (although I have found that Rocky Mountain ATV/MC started ordering built sets to keep in-stock for fast shipping- and a great price). They’re compression and preload adjustable and offer a remote/piggy back reservoir. They pull experience from snowmobiles, UTVs, truck racing and Rock crawling.

The 814’s are the youngest of companies and although seem to be very focused on the UTV market, they don’t seem to venture outside of that. Some may argue that’s a pro, and some may see it as a con. But they do offer preload, compression and rebound adjustability. From what I’ve read, you have to modify the rear mounts and use a limit strap.

Three of those companies gain experience from not only UTVs, but trucks, cars, buggies, and some of the companies dive into Snowmobiles, mountain bikes, dirt bikes and motorcycles and I think that is worth taking into consideration.

For me, experience matters and I sought out the companies with the most who offered a custom built shock. 814 utilizes and limit strap and required alterations to the mount and that didn’t sit well with me. Although I’m very familiar with limiting straps in the rock-crawler market, it struck me odd as requiring them in a light duty application such as our Pioneers when other manufacturers choose not too go that route. Again, some may argue that it’s even more of a custom suspension setup but, the fact the shock description states that it’s aimed at Trail use makes me wonder why a limiting strap would be required.

What I wanted, personally, was full adjustability, remote reservoirs (more fluid means the shock doesn’t heat up as quickly and maintains the same performance longer than those without), and no modifications to the machine required to use. The only option was Elka’s stage 4 or 5 but they simply were higher than I was willing to pay. Because I didn’t care for cutting and reducing material on my mounts and the requirement for a limit strap, that brought me to the Walker Evan’s shocks...so that’s what I ordered. I didn’t get the rebound adjustability but everything else is there. If Fox had offered a “custom” shock outside of their OEM built shock, I think they would have been the company to go with...but I’m sure the price would reflect that as well.

I think it all depends on what you want out of your suspension. They’ll all be a big upgrade. I will say that if you value communication and feedback, it’s no secret that 814 will provide that. They are very active on forums and everyone who has purchased them and discusses the company has had a good experience with customer service. So that’s also worth considering.

Just my two cents on the subject. Im not bad mouthing any of them and I’m sure this convo could go on for days.

Good luck on your choice!

michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh...and I have ordered my shocks. Not installed or used them yet, so I cannot give first hand experience yet.

Reactions: Herbie and TripleB
1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh...and I have ordered my shocks. Not installed or used them yet, so I cannot give first hand experience yet.
I really liked that write up. Well explained. I'm curious what the cost was on your setup you went with. For me price was a large deciding factor.

michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ordered them direct through Walker Evans, but requested that they meet the slightly lower cost that Rocky Mountain ATV/MC had advertised. All said and done, just over $1600.

Like most, I found the Fox's around $1399 shipped.

The Elka Stage 4's came in around $2600, I think....so they were a considerate amount higher than what the WE shocks were.

Any option is a lot of money, and in most cases...this is one of those "want's vs needs" add-ons. For me, it just happened to be good timing with selling our home (making a decent profit), and not having to pay child care cost the last 2 months due to current events. So...I justified it to myself with that. When you compare it to the fact that just a simple re-spring and re-valve on a dirt bike/motorcycle can cost upward of $850/1000 (depending on the provider)...it's a deal that you're getting 4 brand new shocks that are sprung and valved the way you want them to be...

Or so it is in my head and when I justify it to my wife when she see's the package on the door step this Thursday. 🤣

LIVINTALL

LIVINTALL

Jan 26, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I went through this exact same debate and came to the same conclusions. I will be ordering the Walker Evans setup as well. 👍

W

Wowee

Aug 29, 2021
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ordered them direct through Walker Evans, but requested that they meet the slightly lower cost that Rocky Mountain ATV/MC had advertised. All said and done, just over $1600.

Like most, I found the Fox's around $1399 shipped.

The Elka Stage 4's came in around $2600, I think....so they were a considerate amount higher than what the WE shocks were.

Any option is a lot of money, and in most cases...this is one of those "want's vs needs" add-ons. For me, it just happened to be good timing with selling our home (making a decent profit), and not having to pay child care cost the last 2 months due to current events. So...I justified it to myself with that. When you compare it to the fact that just a simple re-spring and re-valve on a dirt bike/motorcycle can cost upward of $850/1000 (depending on the provider)...it's a deal that you're getting 4 brand new shocks that are sprung and valved the way you want them to be...

Or so it is in my head and when I justify it to my wife when she see's the package on the door step this Thursday. 🤣

W

Wowee

Aug 29, 2021
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought walker evans only worked with stock suspension?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!