P1000 New P1000 5 not shifting to 2wd or 4wd

B

Bennesh1

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2021
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just picked up my new 2021 p1000 5 deluxe yesterday from a dealer that is 2 hours away. Just realized today that it won’t shift out of turf mode into any other mode. I looked at the shift cable box for the rear differential and it looks correct. I don’t get any change in the dash indicator no matter what mode I put it in even after driving around. I will take it back to the dealer if I have to but trying to understand if there is an easy adjustment that affects both the front and rear differential.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The cables suck and the dealers suck. Mine was the same way. Low would grind instead of shift, and all modes other than turf did not want to shift. I had 50 miles on it and my first week of ownership. My original dealer was almost 2 hours away so I called my local dealer and explained the situation. My local dealer told me it would be $100 to adjust the cables. I was like this is stupid, it's a brand new machine. Shouldn't it be covered under the oe warranty? They told me nope. Honda labels it as a maintenance item, therefore it's not covered. I was pretty upset. So I called my original dealer. I was told the same thing however, he said if you bring it to me he would adjust it for free and apologized for the issue. I did not take it back because of the long drive. I just did it myself. I now have over 900 miles on my machine and I need to do it again. My park to low works well but 4wd lock takes a while to shift. 2 wheel lock and 4wd works decent.

B

Bennesh1

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2021
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
OP here. I got some time to adjust the rear differential cables today. I found this youtube video to be excellent to help me understand the how the adjustments were working. My adjustments were not in the indicated marked range but I was able to get the machine adjusted to go from turf to 2wd mode and back correctly now. After this adjustment I can also get it in 4wd which I could never do before. It still won't quite go into 4wd front lock (light blinks) but I plan to adjust the front differential cable in a few days when I'm installing a winch because it requires removing the front bumper.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
OP here. I got some time to adjust the rear differential cables today. I found this youtube video to be excellent to help me understand the how the adjustments were working. My adjustments were not in the indicated marked range but I was able to get the machine adjusted to go from turf to 2wd mode and back correctly now. After this adjustment I can also get it in 4wd which I could never do before. It still won't quite go into 4wd front lock (light blinks) but I plan to adjust the front differential cable in a few days when I'm installing a winch because it requires removing the front bumper.
Thats great news! See we actually know what were talking about! Lol

So….Pics?

B

Bennesh1

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2021
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thats great news! See we actually know what were talking about! Lol

So….Pics?
Pics were posted in another thread.

FC031B23 2A99 4B7F B29E F6EB2ECBDDB1 1B8413AC 13B4 4E40 AE2A 47DEA04AC484

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
It still won't quite go into 4wd front lock (light blinks) but I plan to adjust the front differential cable in a few days when I'm installing a winch because it requires removing the front bumper.
You can adjust the front cable boxes without removing the bumper. You have to reach in to remove the bolts that hold the covers on . Putting the bolts back in are kinda a pain but its do able. I find it's easier to struggle a bit rather than going through the hassel of removing the bumper. Seeing your taking the bumper off anyway you'll see what I'm talking about how it's possible to adjust the fronts.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Realy! said u just picked it up yesterday In the first post. figured you hadn't had a chance to post pics cuz of your issues. My apologies. Too many non owners lingering before they buy/get there machines hard to tell who‘s got what? Major cluster fuc Imo. Lol

Nice machine! Deff a Honda lol. looks like its time for a roof and a windshield. That linkage adjustment is easy fix. could be worse.

Reactions: Lady01
advertisement
B

Bennesh1

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2021
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Realy! said u just picked it up yesterday In the first post. figured you hadn't had a chance to post pics cuz of your issues. My apologies. Too many non owners lingering before they buy/get there machines hard to tell who‘s got what? Major cluster fuc Imo. Lol

Nice machine! Deff a Honda lol. looks like its time for a roof and a windshield. That linkage adjustment is easy fix. could be worse.
Picked it up on Saturday and had the superatv windshield waiting at the house already. Honda roof should arrive at the dealer in the next day or so. Kfi winch will be here Wednesday.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Picked it up on Saturday and had the superatv windshield waiting at the house already. Honda roof should arrive at the dealer in the next day or so. Kfi winch will be here Wednesday.
Im sure shell be a good machine for you and you‘ll enjoy it! The mission has only just began 👍

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!