P1000 87, 89 or 93 octane gas?

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Puregas app , shows you where the stations are. We have a couple in a 10 mile radius. Yes non-E is better the Ethanol degrades rubber and corrodes metals.
THank you for the "heads up" on the puregas app. Its like 20 miles to the closest one from my house but it did identify some places I didnt know. That will come in handy for the lawnmower next summer though. I usually purchase 20+ gallons at a time during the summer.

sajnaj

sajnaj

Jul 5, 2015
clinton indiana
THank you for the "heads up" on the puregas app. Its like 20 miles to the closest one from my house but it did identify some places I didnt know. That will come in handy for the lawnmower next summer though. I usually purchase 20+ gallons at a time during the summer.
Where about in Indiana u located I'm in Clinton terre haute area

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Fort Wayne area.....just out in the country. It took 6 years to get high speed internet.....lol

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Where about in Indiana u located I'm in Clinton terre haute area

Years ago my brother went to Rose-Hulman college!! I don't live to far from the Indiana-Illinios boarder. My kids and I might be heading with the P1k to the badlands this weekend!

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
And to think I was even in Crawfordsville for 3 boring days once....Wish I would have known!

Reactions: Lundude
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Read entire thread but appears there is no difinitive answer yet :)

So, not opinion as per se, but what does Honda engineers say about fuel type? Anyone know for sure?

Non ethanol ok? Higher octane ok?

I read min 86 octane, unleaded with ethanol. Now that ethanol is common place a lot of engine manafacturers account for this and design engines to run off ethanol.

So did Honda do this? If no one knows I will try call Honda myself and get the answer :)

advertisement
Gabriel727

Gabriel727

May 12, 2016
Tampa bay area,fl
Not to be stupid but Honda says only run unleaded gas in the 1000 Pioneer. Alot of my friends run clear gas. Question, is clear gas unleaded?

Clear gas i think is non ethanol gas wish is better and pure gas and ur pioneer will run better and a lil faster

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Clear gas i think is non ethanol gas wish is better and pure gas and ur pioneer will run better and a lil faster
I think the answer to his question is there's basically no more leaded gas anyway. You can't pull up to a gas pump and pump leaded gas. All gas is unleaded at gas station pumps. Bingo.

Reactions: Gabriel727
M

Montesarider

May 4, 2016
Central Kentucky
Octane measures the resistance to spontaneous detonation under pressure. If your machine recommends 86, then you are losing power and causing carbon buildup by running higher octane. Straight alcohol has a higher octane than straight gasoline, and forms of alcohol are the main additives used to raise octane in pump gas. 93 octane is not the "good stuff" as some people think and it's only function in an engine that recommends regular is to empty your wallet faster.

Racing vehicles run high octane because their engines are very high compression and they need it to prevent detonation or pre-ignition. Old airplanes can run 100 octane because they are high compression engines and have natural rubber components in the engines which is deteriorated by alcohol.....and the fact that you can't get *80* octane fuel that they were designed to run. An STC (supplemental type certificate) was issued to allow older airplanes to run on 87 octane low lead fuel instead of the 100 octane available at most airports. (I know a thing or two about airplanes)

A Dirty Little Secret Gasoline Companies Are Keeping From You (High Octane Rip-Off)

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, in my opinion and around here in Minnesota the "good stuff" happens to be 93 octane because that is the only thing available with no ethanol. I have snowmobiles, boats, lawn equipment and now this pioneer. Sometimes the gas sits in that tank for a long period of time before its used up or freshly re filled. Not to piss off the farmers here, but ethanol gas, as many on here know or should know is a small engines worst nightmare. I could go on and on about the pros and cons of ethanol, but that's for another conversation. It can ruin rubber parts like someone said, but it also attracts moisture, keep that in mind. I would probably run a lower octane fuel (87) on a fuel injected four stroke if I could find it without ethanol. If I used my stuff every day, I would have no problem with fuel with ethanol added, I run it in my truck, with no problems.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum @Montesarider. What brings you to the forum? Do you own a pioneer?

I've got some comments in response to your 1st post here.
Running 93 in my fathers 5.0 f150 gives it about 10 more HP and this is Dyno proven. No other changes to the vehicle other than putting different fuel in it.

That's some good reading you posted @Montesarider but it could be misleading as they leave out a lot of info. They also use phrases like, "rip off" or you said, "it's good for emptying your wallet". This is just not true. I use 93 in my turbo charged vehicle because it allows me to make a lot more power when used in conjunction with timing changes.

The high octane fuel will help most modern cars that require 87 or higher because they have knock sensors that will reduce or advance ignition timing. So it's only a "rip off" to the guy who uses it in a 30 year old car because he "thinks" it's better.

I run 87 ethanol free in my pioneer because I don't believe there's a real advantage in the pioneer. There could be, and maybe someone will dyno this one day. We use 87 in most vehicles we have because the wife's SUV isn't a race car and doesn't need a few extra ponies.

Sent from my iPhone

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
See, that is exactly what I'm talking about. I just read different posts from seemingly very knowledgeable individuals. And they both totally contradicted each other. It's confusing when you're someone like me who is not an expert and you're trying to figure out what to do. I asked my dealer this question and he said higher octane is best but WITH ethanol, running clear can cause issues. Now I pretty much use my machine almost daily so I'm not worried about letting it set up. But that's not really the point. The problem with a lot of these post is they are not based on any actual hard evidence. To simply say " I have run high-octane fuel in all my vehicles and never had a problem"
doesn't really saying anything unfortunately. In fact, it's not the least bit scientific at all. Many people can run many different kinds of fuels and not have any issues and that doesn't necessarily mean it is good or bad for the engine long-term.

Somewhere, somehow, there has to be someone who knows from a scientific aspect, whether or not high-octane and or whether or not ethanol versus non-ethanol is better or worse for this Honda engine!

I mean no disrespect to absolutely anyone who is trying to assist me with an answer. Just try to understand that when the answers are all different I'm still just as confused before I asked :)

Reactions: jondevil
M

Montesarider

May 4, 2016
Central Kentucky
"around here in Minnesota the "good stuff" happens to be 93 octane because that is the only thing available with no ethanol."

You reason for using 93 is that it has no alcohol, which is a completely different scenario than I was speaking of. If your 93 had alcohol you'd gain nothing by running it in your machine. I'm all for running ethanol free fuel if possible, but all other things being equal, the 93 octane is not better than 87 in a machine that requires 87, and may actually cause loss of hp.

M

Montesarider

May 4, 2016
Central Kentucky
Welcome to the forum @Montesarider. What brings you to the forum? Do you own a pioneer?

I've got some comments in response to your 1st post here.
Running 93 in my fathers 5.0 f150 gives it about 10 more HP and this is Dyno proven. No other changes to the vehicle other than putting different fuel in it.

That's some good reading you posted @Montesarider but it could be misleading as they leave out a lot of info. They also use phrases like, "rip off" or you said, "it's good for emptying your wallet". This is just not true. I use 93 in my turbo charged vehicle because it allows me to make a lot more power when used in conjunction with timing changes.

The high octane fuel will help most modern cars that require 87 or higher because they have knock sensors that will reduce or advance ignition timing. So it's only a "rip off" to the guy who uses it in a 30 year old car because he "thinks" it's better.

I run 87 ethanol free in my pioneer because I don't believe there's a real advantage in the pioneer. There could be, and maybe someone will dyno this one day. We use 87 in most vehicles we have because the wife's SUV isn't a race car and doesn't need a few extra ponies.

Sent from my iPhone while at yo mommas house.

Turbos increase compression, which would require higher octane in most cases.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Right.
"around here in Minnesota the "good stuff" happens to be 93 octane because that is the only thing available with no ethanol."

You reason for using 93 is that it has no alcohol, which is a completely different scenario than I was speaking of. If your 93 had alcohol you'd gain nothing by running it in your machine. I'm all for running ethanol free fuel if possible, but all other things being equal, the 93 octane is not better than 87 in a machine that requires 87, and may actually cause loss of hp.

That's where it gets confusing because there aren't many people who sell ethanol free to begin with and the vast majority that do, it only comes in a higher octane. For me, ethanol free is automatically 93. So is the trade-off worth it? Getting ethanol free for higher octane when not needed?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Ethanol free fuel is good and I use it in my pioneer, boat, antique truck, and small engines. My daily driver get the cheap 87 stuff with ethanol because it's consumed before it separates.

However, running 93 octane in a modern vehicle can result in more power. Modern vehicles have knock sensors that will help the vehicle compensate for the different grades of fuel.

Now, you can argue whether or not it is worth it to pay the extra price to only gain a few horsepower. But for you to say that it is a rip off or saying that it does nothing at all is false.

Sent from my iPhone

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!