P1000 87, 89 or 93 octane gas?

M

Montesarider

May 4, 2016
Central Kentucky
Turbos increase compression, which would require higher octane in most cases.

Thanks for the welcome, and yes, I have a Pioneer 1000 EPS in camo, soft camo top, hardcoat two piece Honda windshield, and 4500 lb winch. I would't hang out here just to cause trouble. :)

I've been building engines and vehicles for over 40 years, built and flew 3 airplanes in the 90's, won first place in Oshkosh for one of my builds in '99, been riding motorcycles longer than most of you have been alive, and have had a UTV of some sort since around 2003, so that makes me not a newbie in either engines or SXS. :)

The Pioneer 1000 is the best by a long shot although my Mule 610xc was rock solid reliable even if it wasn't fast. I had a Pioneer 700 but thought it was lacking in some areas so I traded for a 1000 a couple of months back.

Back to the original question, octane measures resistance to spontaneous detonation under pressure, period. If your machine doesn't need it to prevent pre-ignition you're wasting your money buying it. That being said, 100% gasoline is superior to ethanol blends, and I avoid it whenever possible, but everything else being equal, I'd burn the octane closest to that recommended manufacturer.

M

Montesarider

May 4, 2016
Central Kentucky
Ethanol free fuel is good and I use it in my pioneer, boat, antique truck, and small engines. My daily driver get the cheap 87 stuff with ethanol because it's consumed before it separates.

However, running 93 octane in a modern vehicle can result in more power. Modern vehicles have knock sensors that will help the vehicle compensate for the different grades of fuel.

Now, you can argue whether or not it is worth it to pay the extra price to only gain a few horsepower. But for you to say that it is a rip off or saying that it does nothing at all is false.

Sent from my iPhone while at yo mommas house.
Yes and no, probably not in your Pioneer. Premium Fuel Futures

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I will agree, if your machine is designed or calibrated for 87, you are not helping yourself with 93. When I was racing snowmobiles, we liked to run 110 octane, but we had to change the jetting in the carbs significantly. Running 93 in something that calls for 87 is somewhat like running richer jets as it burns cooler/slower so to speak than 87. The lower the octane, the more fuel we needed. Keep in mind now I am talking carbureted two strokes in this instance, but most of the info carries over.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Back to the original question, octane measures resistance to spontaneous detonation under pressure, period. If your machine doesn't need it to prevent pre-ignition you're wasting your money buying it. That being said, 100% gasoline is superior to ethanol blends, and I avoid it whenever possible, but everything else being equal, I'd burn the octane closest to that recommended manufacturer.

This statement is more inline with what I would expect. Some facts and some personal beliefs. Nothing wrong with that.

However, I just can't help but to chime in when the someone says, "93 octane gives me 20 HP" and he's driving a '78 ford pickup. This is just an ignorant comment.

On the flip side, when you said it 93 does nothing at all, being such a black and white person that I am I couldn't help but to chime in and say it actually does but in very small amounts. The biggest change I've seen is the new ford 5.0 seems to gain close to 10 HP with just fuel change. That's still a small percentage of the total engine output.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the welcome, and yes, I have a Pioneer 1000 EPS in camo, soft camo top, hardcoat two piece Honda windshield, and 4500 lb winch. I would't hang out here just to cause trouble.

I truly welcome you to what we feel is the best group of pioneer guys. We are typically polite and there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

I encourage you to build a "garage" on the profile page to show case your vehicle and adventures. We always welcome someone with many years experience. Let me know if I can help in any way.

As a moderator here you can understand my questioning your authenticity to the forum. We try hard to keep a clean and calm hang out for everyone.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have built 4 ethanol plants (Project Manager/PE). I've worked in dozens of refineries (Process Manager/Project Manager). I know a little about gasoline and ethanol. I'll give you my take.

I use ethanol fuel in my daily driver pickup.

I don't put ethanol in anything that sits for a week at a time (outboards, lawn mowers, 4 wheelers, chainsaws...). I will cancel a trip if I cannot find ethanol free fuel, no exceptions. It is over 25 miles from my house to the nearest ethanol free supply and they are not open on Sunday.

Burn whichever octane you want. I doubt you will be able to feel a difference in a stock Honda Pioneer. If it gives you peace of mind burn higher octane. If the only ethanol free is 93 octane use it. 87, 89, 91, 93 are all safe to use in your Honda.

If you use ethanol... There are a lot of additives out there that can be beneficial to your engine in various ways. When it comes to stopping the phase separation they are all "snake oil".

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have built 4 ethanol plants (Project Manager/PE). I've worked in dozens of refineries (Process Manager/Project Manager). I know a little about gasoline and ethanol. I'll give you my take.

I use ethanol fuel in my daily driver pickup.

I don't put ethanol in anything that sits for a week at a time (outboards, lawn mowers, 4 wheelers, chainsaws...). I will cancel a trip if I cannot find ethanol free fuel, no exceptions. It is over 25 miles from my house to the nearest ethanol free supply and they are not open on Sunday.

Burn whichever octane you want. I doubt you will be able to feel a difference in a stock Honda Pioneer. If it gives you peace of mind burn higher octane. If the only ethanol free is 93 octane use it. 87, 89, 91, 93 are all safe to use in your Honda.

If you use ethanol... There are a lot of additives out there that can be beneficial to your engine in various ways. When it comes to stopping the phase separation they are all "snake oil".

Well I got an answer to one of my questions I hope. If 93 octane can actually be a negative when it's designed for 87 and the only thing available in non methanol is 93 what's a man to do?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well I got an answer to one of my questions I hope. If 93 octane can actually be a negative when it's designed for 87 and the only thing available in non methanol is 93 what's a man to do?

93 won't be a negative and won't hurt anything at all. it will cost more and you will not notice any performance improvement. if you can get ethanol free fuel and its only 93, I would use it exclusively

Reactions: DRAGFOOT
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just hung up with Honda. He's going to research and get me the best answer he can as he's interested too.

Said built and designed by Japanese and no ethanol in Japan so...

Reactions: joeymt33
M

Montesarider

May 4, 2016
Central Kentucky
I truly welcome you to what we feel is the best group of pioneer guys. We are typically polite and there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

I encourage you to build a "garage" on the profile page to show case your vehicle and adventures. We always welcome someone with many years experience. Let me know if I can help in any way.

As a moderator here you can understand my questioning your authenticity to the forum. We try hard to keep a clean and calm hang out for everyone.

It takes a lot to offend me so I took none at your questioning my motives. After all, everyone is an expert on the Internet. :) I'll try to get around to the "garage" suggestion.

Reactions: Sledge and joeymt33
advertisement
M

Montesarider

May 4, 2016
Central Kentucky
This statement is more inline with what I would expect. Some facts and some personal beliefs. Nothing wrong with that.

However, I just can't help but to chime in when the someone says, "93 octane gives me 20 HP" and he's driving a '78 ford pickup. This is just an ignorant comment.

On the flip side, when you said it 93 does nothing at all, being such a black and white person that I am I couldn't help but to chime in and say it actually does but in very small amounts. The biggest change I've seen is the new ford 5.0 seems to gain close to 10 HP with just fuel change. That's still a small percentage of the total engine output.

In most things perception is everything. Mothers will swear their children are the best looking, smartest kids around, your dog is the most intelligent, loud pipes save lives, Martin guitars sound best, and on and on. If someone believes higher octane makes their machine run better it probably does, even if it's only in their head, which is the only place it's important.

Higher octane can improve HP if the engine is set up to benefit from it. Higher octane allows you to advance the timing without spontaneous detonation. Some engine computers are equipped to do this, some are not. I seriously doubt the Pioneer engine has computer capability to advance timing according to the combustion rate of the fuel.

I travel on a Honda Goldwing a lot. I've covered 49 states in the last 15 years, most of them multiple times. Retirement does have its perks. :) While traveling ethanol is sometimes impossible to avoid so I use it. My mpg will drop nearly 3 mgp with ethanol and power is noticeably less. I also run the lowest octane available without or without ethanol, right down to 85 which performs best when 6000' altitude and above. I doubt I can find that now and I'll be riding to Taos, NM in June. Point is, I will run pure gasoline if I can find it, and the lowest octane ethanol when I can't. In nearly 200,000 miles of riding I've never had a problem. And it's a Honda. :)

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honda called back. In the manual it states no more than 10% Ethanol as more than that can ruin seals and such. Ok, so we know that. But as both the Honda Corp tech and I agreed on, based on the information he received, doing some reading in between the lines, was that non ethanol, when found, is the absolute way to go :)

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Anyone on this forum EVER had a honda with bad seals? Or any engine problem?

:p

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone on this forum EVER had a honda with bad seals? Or any engine problem?

:p

Probably not. But it can't be argued that ethanol is being forced down our throats whether we like it or not. And compared to regular gas its no competition. So y risk it?

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
What gas are you guys running in your pioneers? The book says 86 minimum. I run 93 octane in my 08' rancher. Thoughts? Thanks...
Lower altitudes need a higher octane and higher altitudes you can run lower octane.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lower altitudes need a higher octane and higher altitudes you can run lower octane.
Are you sure about that? IF anything Id say opposite, but on these machines it shouldn't matter.

Reactions: Boomboom907
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I run regular gas.. I'm in alaska. I go from 400 ft elevation to 4000 ft. This is all overthought.

What do you think happens if you run regular gas at 400 ft? It does wheelies, drifts, and donuts all day.

These are not high performance race cars. It's a 4wheeler. It has a quarter the power my stock truck has. I'm 300 miles deep with cheap gas. Run what you like, but it all makes no difference. I owned a rx7 for a few years. I ran premo gas mixed with 2 stroke 1:100 ratio. That is a special engine that requires different maintanance.

What kind of 2 stroke oil you mixing in with your honda? Gotta do that mix or your seals will dry up yo. Gotta redline once a day to keep the carbon away. Run seafoam every few tanks and mix with oil 20 miles before oil change.

Or its a 4wheeler.

End of the day, I run regular gas and it runs as expected. It hauls ass and outperforms anything in its price bracket.

This logic of running fancy gas to get what... 1hp? Seems silly. An exhaust wrap will get you more performance than premo gas.

Any of you running high octane getting backfires? Or does it run about the same.

Bottom line, gas today is designed for any FI. If these were carbs I could see some kind of hp or runnability claims, but at the end of the day, gas does not get more voilitile over time. 60 octane gas would be like a bomb. A year later it would be nasty water. Not the other way around. Gas is gas, and nobody will ever report any kind of proof running high octane gas helped anything. The fuel injection system will change the fuel mixture slightly to keep everything running correctly. A carb wont.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Are you sure about that? IF anything Id say opposite, but on these machines it shouldn't matter.
Pretty sure about it. Here in Colorado we run 85 or 87 at all altitudes and never have had any issues.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Y'all remember when there was talk that the government was going to mandate gunpowder that would expire?

I think putting ethanol in the fuel is another way that the government can control us. We cannot store fuel for long term.

Sorry guys, sometimes I get a little out there. :)

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Reactions: Gator
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!