P500 A 48" box holds a humpback A5

J

Jshell3

I learned it from watching you, ok!?!

I was just practicing, today, and this 12 ga is (currently) the longest shotgun I own... I know a soft case or gun sock is needed, but lockable, dry storage... Squirrel hunting just got real.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jshell3

You like that tool box?
Yeah. It's a Husky from Home Depot. The latch is really good and the aluminum is thick enough that you could stand on it without worry of denting it. (Rabbit hunt from an elevation. Parked, of course) I've got a rack ordered (Curt universal atv) coming in, so I'm waiting on that before putting it all down.
The rack was like $110. (Amazon) The box was $230. But I've found a BetterBuilt 48" side truck box for my dad for $130 on Amazon. Looks pretty good, too.

The fact that the toolbox doubles as a gun rack is awesome! And it's lockable. So GPS and shells can go in there, too.

I've see this box/rack type combo on here several times. This is the most addicting forum!!!

So thanks, guys.

K

Kilroy

Apr 1, 2016
Missouri
I like the 48" tool box, it works great. There are only a couple of rifles I have that won't fit in mine. I bought my box from Lowes.

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

I've see this box/rack type combo on here several times. This is the most addicting forum!!!

So thanks, guys.

Here are members that I pulled from... (Sorry, but I don't know how to tag you or give you credit if I used your picture)
Also, worth noting, to scroll through the "Build Pages" on the P500. Several good ideas on there.

Image Image Image

Reactions: solrus
J

Jshell3

I like the 48" tool box, it works great. There are only a couple of rifles I have that won't fit in mine. I bought my box from Lowes.
What kind of rifle you got that longer than a shotgun? Hawkins style muzzleloader?!? haha Seriously, my rifles are "taller" b/c of scope, but none are longer than my shotguns.

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
Yep copying that idea. Still gives me room for my climber to fit On that basket rack. i have a super short H&R 35 whelen I use when I hunt public so that will fit perfectly in the tool box.

J

Jshell3

Yep copying that idea. Still gives me room for my climber to fit On that basket rack. i have a super short H&R 35 whelen I use when I hunt public so that will fit perfectly in the tool box.
You wanna talk about the hands down best accessory to hold your climber stand?
I've got one of these on my Rancher. You can not beat it. Very versatile and leaves your rack empty. $79.
Plus when I'm seeding food plots, it holds the spreader without having to use the hardware that comes w/ the spreader. Just use a bungee strap. And working around the yard, you can hang your pull cart handle around the bottom hook and just GO!

Image Image

advertisement
Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
Jshell how did you attatch your toolbox to the rack? I live up around sardis we have a cabin and 100 acres but I still hunt a lot of public around the lake. I can Leave my cabin and get in the lake bottom and drive to where I want to hunt from the lake bottom. Lake bottom is two miles from the cabin.

J

Jshell3

Jshell how did you attatch your toolbox to the rack?

Haven't yet. Waiting on rack to show up before I do. But stainless U Bolts on the corners w/ rubber washers to keep it tight. I plan to as little damage to the P500 rack as possible, so most "holes" will occur in the box, itself. If it's not rock solid, I may have to send a sheet metal screw or two through the bottom of the box (into the rack). Looks like the P500 rack has some good FLAT surfaces that wouldn't be hard to hit. I'll post a pic of the install, once my rack arrives... I'm thinking about turning the rack backwards than traditional mount, so it rides like a pick-up truck w/ the tailgate down. Mounted this way, the rack would support the L shape of the truck box.

Again, will try several configs, before I decide on bolting it all down. Will post update pics.

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
I found a rack for 75$ shipped it's only 39" wide though. Thought about mounting an ammo can on each side to fill up the big gap it'll leave on each side of the actual pioneer rack.

J

Jshell3

I found a rack for 75$ shipped it's only 39" wide though. Thought about mounting an ammo can on each side to fill up the big gap it'll leave on each side of the actual pioneer rack.
My guess is @ 39" you won't get an ammo can on both sides. The P500 is like 46" wide at the rack. Ammo cans are 6"-8". You'll have to get creative.

K

Kilroy

Apr 1, 2016
Missouri
What kind of rifle you got that longer than a shotgun? Hawkins style muzzleloader?!? haha Seriously, my rifles are "taller" b/c of scope, but none are longer than my shotguns.

My AR10 with the Magpul PRS precision stock and 20 Inch barrel will not fit if I use a hard case for it. It might fit at an angle if I use a soft case.

Last edited:
Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
Took my basket rack off my rancher and bought a tool box today. I just need to bolt down the toolbox but I think it's gonna work just great! For some reason I can't upload the picture I will try again later.

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

Uploading pics... I had the same prob. Turns out, when you select which picture... Just hold at the very next screen you see for a minimum of 40 seconds. It's uploading automatically... You just can't tell from your phone. But eventually it will attach. Don't concern yourself with number of pixels, file size, or resolution. Trust me.

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
Uploading pics... I had the same prob. Turns out, when you select which picture... Just hold at the very next screen you see for a minimum of 40 seconds. It's uploading automatically... You just can't tell from your phone. But eventually it will attach. Don't concern yourself with number of pixels, file size, or resolution. Trust me.

I put these pics on the what did you you do to your 500 today thread to

Image Image Image

J

Jshell3

Its a good box! What did you think?

I'm thinking of ways to get creative and drill out the pop rivets on the nameplate. Maybe come up with a custom name! (Like Honda instead of Husky... Or my OWN last name... Or the name of my bike. You know it's bad luck to have a boat without a name, right?)

And hey, you've got a second key on your keychain besides your engine key now!!! You can lock that bad boy up!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!