P1000 A-arm tab and Crossmember supports

chipolariverman

chipolariverman

Jun 11, 2019
Malone, FL
Ownership

1. Other Brand
So I just purchased a 2020 P1k3 that I will be hog hunting out of 2 to 3 days a week and will be putting about 50-75 miles a week on. I have been reading this form for several months now and I have questions regarding the A-arm tab tear out and bending or adding Crossmember supports.

Regarding the tearing out of the A-arm tab on the front upper A-arm is this happening at a high rate of speed and you coming into contact with a rock or tree? I have read a lot of the post on this and I know some have stated I wasn't going 5 mph and it just fell off!?!? I would like some honest comments on this. I am in the process of installing a Tough Country front bumper and 814 Shocks so now would be a great time to beef up the tab if it is something that is just going to fall off while I am going around a field and hit a gopher hole at 5 mph which is very possible.

I live in North Florida so there are no rocks to crawl over however I do on a fairly regular basis crawl over logs. I have purchased and will be installing the 1/2" UHMW Factory UTV full skid plate that is the full width of the buggy. My question is will this be enough to protect the undercarriage of the machine? Those that are damaging the undercarriage I "assume" are rock crawling and that is where the damage is coming from? Some of you that have added and/or beefed up your undercarriage can I get your opinion on this?

Reactions: TxDoc
chipolariverman

chipolariverman

Jun 11, 2019
Malone, FL
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Make sure the bolt is torqued properly and don’t hit a stump in tall grass.
You’ll be fine.

That's not very reassuring, LOL!!!

Man if someone could fab up the bolt on brackets like I saw one member make they would sale like hotcakes. They bolt to the upper A-arm bolt and the 2 bumper bolts with a gusset on top.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Factory utv 1/2" skid will protect everything down under . like stated, just don't haul a** in tall grass where something big can sneak up on ya and do some damage. I've put about 700 miles on mine riding a bit of everything and haven't had any issues 🤞.
Good luck!

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
The P1k5 is a lot tougher than people give them credit for.

I routinely load mine up with 60 gallons of spray, and navigate rough ass pastures all the time with it.

Yank the sprayer and off road over the weekend.

There’s thousands of these rig running on farms and ranches getting the crap beaten out of them without issue.

I agree with lee about stumps etc in the grass.

In an open field with knee high grass, you wouldn’t take your truck across an unknown field at 50 mph....so why would you do the same with an atv / utv?

I see this all the dam time however!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The 1000 carries a lot of weight so the right hit can tear it, but usually stumps like said or driver error. Although it’s not common there have been just a few that had a questionable weld.
If you’re worried you can purchase a SuperATV frame stiffener which will help strengthen it up some, but for the most part I wouldn’t worry about it.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 1000 carries a lot of weight so the right hit can tear it, but usually stumps like said or driver error. Although it’s not common there have been just a few that had a questionable weld.
If you’re worried you can purchase a SuperATV frame stiffener which will help strengthen it up some, but for the most part I wouldn’t worry about it.

The SuperATV kit does nothing for the upper mounts and I've yet to see a lower mount fail.

bwetzel

bwetzel

Nov 10, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
not a fun time when it happens.
1924EA0B C07F 4B96 B1EB 54296CA12061

bwetzel

bwetzel

Nov 10, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@bwetzel can you give some details behind this? What caused it? Looks like you were stuck pretty good based on the mud/debris on the a-arms.
this falls into the “driver error” category. third and fastest attempt up a creek bank trying to straddle ruts. almost made it to the top but slid into the ruts and the impact broke the tab. ruts were deep enough it hit bedrock.

advertisement
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Before my satv arms I hit a large rock with the drivers a arm and bent both upper and lower arms no tab damage. Earlier this year while at tackett a few of us hit a submerged obstacle. It bent my tie rod and cracked the weld on the passenger side upper a arm tab. Both stopped the machine in its tracks both moving approximately 10-15 mph.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The SuperATV kit does nothing for the upper mounts and I've yet to see a lower mount fail.
I had lower fail twice and I’ve seen several others. And yes you are correct on it doing nothing for upper

Reactions: TripleB
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Start at post 813 and go from there...i documented add in a crossmember, upper a arm tabs and crossmember supports. I also have the SATV frame stiffener.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Although I don't have a P1000, I try to be proactive since I'm usually solo. Snuffnwhiskey mentioned tying that upper mount to the two bumper bolts that are right there with a piece of angle iron. If the stock A-arm bolt is long enough, this would be a fairly simple reinforcement, something I'd do as soon as I could.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
chipolariverman

chipolariverman

Jun 11, 2019
Malone, FL
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Start at post 813 and go from there...i documented add in a crossmember, upper a arm tabs and crossmember supports. I also have the SATV frame stiffener.
@GlockMeister so you just welded in some gussets, you didn't make a bolt on reinforced bracket like I was talking about?
I assume it has worked fine?

Regarding the crossmember beef up I assume it is due to all of the rocks in your area?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@GlockMeister so you just welded in some gussets, you didn't make a bolt on reinforced bracket like I was talking about?

Regarding the crossmember beef up I assume it is due to all of the rocks in your area?
I don't like the idea of a bolt in support. In my opinion the bumper mounting bolts are already undersized and prone to failure in a winch pull or recovery, if they are utilized as support for the winch. I've also seen a few guys that broke them off just installing and removing them multiple times. Either way, I welded my gussets on the upper and lower mounts and added weld washers

IMG 20200827 165319
IMG 20200827 165325
IMG 20200827 165333

I welded my frame supports too

IMG 20190527 162418

I did bolt in my subtransmission crossmember

IMG 20200628 122055

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Just welded..I haven't had any issues with thwm. Yes my crossmembers were bowed quite a bit due to the area annnd terrain we ride

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!