P1000 About to purchase a 2016 1000-5- what updates should I request from the dealer?

S

Spoof0ne

Aug 8, 2018
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Guys,

I have a deposit on the 2016 mentioned above and I am now seeing the notices for product updates and recall work.

What should I ask the dealer to do?

I've read about a comfort kit, heat shield and clutch update.

I mentioned the clutch update and sent them the letter, but they insist the unit runs fine and the update only applies if there is an issue.

I didn't mention the heat shield or can comfort yet. What's the best way to go about this?

Thanks

Reactions: Jiggs and BWAF
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If it's a 2016 and any of the updates have not been done I wouldn't leave with it until they do them the clutch cover, heat shield and the muffler cover all 3 updates need to be done and check under the hood and see if the air intake box has the updated cover on it that needs to be done also to keep water from getting in the air intake system

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Guys,

I have a deposit on the 2016 mentioned above and I am now seeing the notices for product updates and recall work.

I mentioned the clutch update and sent them the letter, but they insist the unit runs fine and the update only applies if there is an issue.

I didn't mention the heat shield or can comfort yet. What's the best way to go about this?

Thanks
Assuming this is a new unit vs used.. if it is new .. how do they know it runs great? Make them update the clutch cover if they won’t I would walk away unless your getting a smoking deal and you know of another dealer that will complete for you.

D

Deleted member 3748

I agree with @tbaker , tell them it's a deal breaker if they don't do the updates. They get paid to do them.

Reactions: BWAF
S

Spoof0ne

Aug 8, 2018
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it's a 2016 and any of the updates have not been done I wouldn't leave with it until they do them the clutch cover, heat shield and the muffler cover all 3 updates need to be done and check under the hood and see if the air intake box has the updated cover on it that needs to be done also to keep water from getting in the air intake system

Thanks. Any suggestions on what to say to get them to do the clutch if there is no sign of slippage?

They did mention doing the muffler cover, but not the heat shield.

I haven't seen anything on the air intake system cover yet. Was this a recall? How can I tell?

Reactions: BWAF and Ragnar406
S

Spoof0ne

Aug 8, 2018
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Assuming this is a new unit vs used.. if it is new .. how do they know it runs great? Make them update the clutch cover if they won’t I would walk away unless your getting a smoking deal and you know of another dealer that will complete for you.

It's a used unit with 800 miles. I am getting a good deal on it. I can't find any 1000s used.

S

Spoof0ne

Aug 8, 2018
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I should also add that this dealer is almost 3 hrs away so I likely won't be going back there for service as there are closer Honda dealers. I suppose I could try to get warranty work done there but would rather have it all done before delivery

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Agree.
No deal unless all Honda Issued product updates have been completed.
Especially on a used vehecial.
All are covered by honda under automatic warranty.

Clutch is the most important.
This update is made to stop clutch slipping. Maybe it's good now. But will it be tomorrow? You want be able to tell from a test drive. The beginning stages of slip dont start until its fully hot under a load. Then, boom, it's too late.

We have the clutch letter that was sent out if you need it. I wouldn't argue over the rest on the list as there are better fixes.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. Any suggestions on what to say to get them to do the clutch if there is no sign of slippage?

They did mention doing the muffler cover, but not the heat shield.

I haven't seen anything on the air intake system cover yet. Was this a recall? How can I tell?
I would print off the campaign letter.. understand that it is the clutch cover that is being updated .. at the time they update the cover they are suppose to check for silppage and if so they work with Honda to change your clutch packs. But the campaign is to change the clutch cover (and a few additional parts) and it is suppose to be done on all 1000’s

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I should also add that this dealer is almost 3 hrs away so I likely won't be going back there for service as there are closer Honda dealers. I suppose I could try to get warranty work done there but would rather have it all done before delivery
Ask your local dealer ! give them vin and see what it needs and if they will do them no recall on air box

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ragnar406
advertisement
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There is a post on here about the pre filter cover under the hood on here just have to search maybe someone will post it and by the clutch update letter all 2016 and 2017 are eligible for the clutch cover update just tell the guy you are dealing with that you want these updates done before you buy it if they are a good dealer they should do it with no questions asked I had 35 miles on mine when I called the my dealer and they said no problem bring it in and we will take care of it and it's a 2017 model

S

Spoof0ne

Aug 8, 2018
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. They were giving me pushback since it referenced "If needed" on the letter

2016 - 2017 Honda Pioneer 1000 Clutch Improvement Kit (Fix for Slipping Problems)

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. They were giving me pushback since it referenced "If needed" on the letter

2016 - 2017 Honda Pioneer 1000 Clutch Improvement Kit (Fix for Slipping Problems)
@Spoof0ne I am going to refer you to this thread ... you will get a lot of information and see the actual letter that went out. P1000 - VERIFIED - Official Pioneer 1000 Clutch Update!

The if needed is referring to the replacement of the clutches - now regardless of in the clutches are replaced or not... the clutch cover (and other parts) are part of a campaign improvement program that is updated at not charge to you.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Outside of clutch slipping issue. There is a noticable difference in the engagement and shift pattern. It's faster and harder especially at low speeds. I'm sure the dealer will blow off all these comments. But this update has reduced the clutch issues down to almost none. It's well worth the improvements.

Your local dealer may give you push back as well. Seeing you didn't buy from them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Jiggs

Jiggs

Sep 11, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Guys,

Thanks
Have you had the clutch upgrade yet?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!