BOX1

P500 Accessory power socket

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
Hello to everyone. My question is this. I'm looking to get a portable air compressor for emergency flats or low tires while riding. The user manual states 12 volt DC accessory rated for 120 watts (10 amps) or less. The air compressor itself states 15 amp inline fuse holder......Max Amp/Watt draw: 15A/180W. If I use this compressor will it cause damage and or potentially keep blowing fuses on the pioneer 500? Thanks.

Reactions: rtn001
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hello to everyone. My question is this. I'm looking to get a portable air compressor for emergency flats or low tires while riding. The user manual states 12 volt DC accessory rated for 120 watts (10 amps) or less. The air compressor itself states 15 amp inline fuse holder......Max Amp/Watt draw: 15A/180W. If I use this compressor will it cause damage and or potentially keep blowing fuses on the pioneer 500? Thanks.

Don't know exactly which one you're looking at but I've carried one from day one. Have never had to use it for myself but have helped others out with it many times. Did a group ride, Trek the Mighty Mac, 300+ machines driving over the Mackinac Bridge. Someone next to me at the staging area had a low tire so I offered to help them out. Once people saw that going on, I bet I filled 5 or 6 tires before setting out.
I wanted something in a case so I use something similar to this...

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Should be fine, but I did an extra precaution and replaced 12v accessory plug with clips and use terminals from the under hood 6 gauge wire run installed for winch. Its just like jumper cables directly from battery, without removing battery cover.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Should be fine, but I did an extra precaution and replaced 12v accessory plug with clips and use terminals from the under hood 6 gauge wire run installed for winch. Its just like jumper cables directly from battery, without removing battery cover.
Yep, in fact my compressor came with that option...👍

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
Don't know exactly which one you're looking at but I've carried one from day one. Have never had to use it for myself but have helped others out with it many times. Did a group ride, Trek the Mighty Mac, 300+ machines driving over the Mackinac Bridge. Someone next to me at the staging area had a low tire so I offered to help them out. Once people saw that going on, I bet I filled 5 or 6 tires before setting out.
I wanted something in a case so I use something similar to this...
Did you use your accessory socket to fill their machienes or did they use theirs. Reason I'm asking is because some machienes have 15 amp fuse and pioneer 500 uses 10amp (wish is was 15 amp) The compressor I want is 15 amp draw. Im going to look at the one you sent and if its 10 amp draw which is max for pioneer 500 it would work. Do you know offhand what the amp draw is.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Did you use your accessory socket to fill their machienes or did they use theirs. Reason I'm asking is because some machienes have 15 amp fuse and pioneer 500 uses 10amp (wish is was 15 amp) The compressor I want is 15 amp draw. Im going to look at the one you sent and if its 10 amp draw which is max for pioneer 500 it would work. Do you know offhand what the amp draw is.

No clue. I have a big Slime one that blew the fuse in my old car though. Just stick with the smaller cheaper ones and you should be okay. Btw, I used my socket and others with no problems.

Reactions: rtn001 and Fischer
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I use a compressor with the port on my machine all the time with no issues. The way I look at the 15 amp circuit in your compressor means that the most it can safely pull is 15 amps. It probably will never pull 15 amps or it would blow its own fuse. I am sure you will be okay but the worst thing that will happen is you will blow the 10 amp accessory fuse.

Reactions: rtn001 and Fischer
F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
I use a compressor with the port on my machine all the time with no issues. The way I look at the 15 amp circuit in your compressor means that the most it can safely pull is 15 amps. It probably will never pull 15 amps or it would blow its own fuse. I am sure you will be okay but the worst thing that will happen is you will blow the 10 amp
I use a compressor with the port on my machine all the time with no issues. The way I look at the 15 amp circuit in your compressor means that the most it can safely pull is 15 amps. It probably will never pull 15 amps or it would blow its own fuse. I am sure you will be okay but the worst thing that will happen is you will blow the 10 amp accessory fuse.
I believe you. I just read on a few site where the 15 amp compressor was blowing fuses on the machiene accessories. Your right, not a huge deal but something else to deal with. So I found a compressor that has max 10 amp draw so it should work. Thanks for your reply.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!