scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
After doing the normal 3200 mile oil changes and diff changes. 1000x-4 FLV ran perfect up and down the street a couple of times. 5 miles total. Went to go to the gas station and had a bog a couple of times in the 3 miles to the station. Added gas and left, machine then would not go over 13 miles an hour. Seatbelt light goes off when I put belt on. Looked at that connection and it looks good. Checked oil and sub trans and both are good. Any one have any ideas where to look next?

Reactions: Smitty335
scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
No codes flashing and it revs up past 6000

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Possible bad gas? But if it bogged on the way to the station it seems unlikely

scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Possible bad gas? But if it bogged on the way to the station it seems unlikely
I don't think that is the problem, It ran fine before with the same gas for at least 70miles. Tank was at just under 1/2 a tank. I had just replaced the 2" seat spacer in the back of the drivers seat with 1 1/2" spacer. Thought maybe the seat belt sensor wire got pulled out, but it seams seated well and the light goes out when I put my seatbelt on.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't think that is the problem, It ran fine before with the same gas for at least 70miles. Tank was at just under 1/2 a tank. I had just replaced the 2" seat spacer in the back of the drivers seat with 1 1/2" spacer. Thought maybe the seat belt sensor wire got pulled out, but it seams seated well and the light goes out when I put my seatbelt on.
That brings up the old mechanic's meme - where were you last? Since you just changed the seat spacers, you were right at the point of failure. I'd have a closer look at that connection and the wiring going into the seatbelt buckle. I understand that the dash light goes out butt ...

scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
That brings up the old mechanic's meme - where were you last? Since you just changed the seat spacers, you were right at the point of failure. I'd have a closer look at that connection and the wiring going into the seatbelt buckle. I understand that the dash light goes out butt ...
Thanks CID, that was my 1st thing to do this AM. I going to pull the connector apart and see if I can reconnect or just jump it. It was late last night when I got to look into the issue. I am also going to take the grounds apart behind drivers seat and clean them. Start easy and work to the harder.

scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Update on this. I pulled the seat belt connecter apart, sprayed with contact cleaner, re-installed and drove with no difference. Went to next easiest and a known issue on these machines, the ground cluster under driver side rear seat. Pulled all the grounds apart and cleaned them and scraped the metal clean. Re-installed all the grounds and tightened. Drove the machine and all is well now. 🥹
These ground points are so pragmatic. I need to do some thinking on a better way to find ground. Any buddy out there come up with a better way? Thanks everybody for the help on this. This forum is so great, filed with very knowledgeable and nice people, it's awesome!

scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Now before I get chastised by the authority here, here is the ground cluster I cleaned under the rear seat driver side. Pictures to prove it happened.

Ground

scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Ok, before this happened with the ground, I was going to post about the mods and service I just got done with before this riding season starts for us up here in Minnesota. I did the 3200 mile oil changes using Honda HP4M 10-30 in sub-trans and Mobil 75-90 in the diffs. Normal Honda GN4 in engine. I like how the HP4M in the sub trans quieted down the shifting. I checked my filter, and as you can see in the attached pictures, both filter and filter box are like new after 2600 miles. I put in a new air cleaner after I installed 10-80 Dirt Sports pre-filter kit at 800 miles. Being the test 4 seater for him, It was very a nerve wracking drilling a 3 1/2" hole in the back fender not knowing it would fit. It sure was worth it though. I added a couple cube lights by the side mirrors and changed out the rocker switch for the turn signals for the new turn levers on the XTC turn signal kit. Should be ready for the local trails to open up the 15th now. As I mentioned before, a big thank you to all the great people on this forum for the help fixing these rigs and for helping me empty my bank account on mods I see here.

Air cleaner Air box Cube Xtc

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
These ground points are so pragmatic. I need to do some thinking on a better way to find ground. Any buddy out there come up with a better way? Thanks everybody for the help on this. This forum is so great, filed with very knowledgeable and nice people, it's awesome!
After u get them all cleaned, put some dielectric grease on there. It will Deter any crud from getting into the contact area. Done this with all my grounds on both rigs and it I have no ground issues.
Now before I get chastised by the authority here, here is the ground cluster I cleaned under the rear seat driver side. Pictures to prove it happened.
No need to prove it happened. Thats reserved for FNG's with no pic of there rigs. Or people with some weird ass issue thats too good to be true! ;)

scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
After u get them all cleaned, put some dielectric grease on there. It will Deter any crud from getting into the contact area. Done this with all my grounds on both rigs and it I have no ground issues.

No need to prove it happened. Thats reserved for FNG's with no pic of there rigs. Or people with some weird ass issue thats too good to be true! ;)
Thanks for the advice on the grease. I'm going to try and find a wire brush, scrapper and clean up the machine side a little better, then I'll add the dielectric grease. I always add that to any connecters I take apart or add. Good stuff.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!