Wossner pistons in boosted talon.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Every Talon engine I've seen (boosted or N/A) looks like that. Always scuffed on the thrust surface of the cylinders.

Do yourself a favor and don't use a ball hone. They don't do a very good job of keeping the cylinder walls straight and leave lots of trash in the engine. Grab a 3 stone cylinder hone from your local parts store and use thst instead.
Can you explain why the bar stone vs ball? I’ve been told to use a ball hone because it’s Nikasil.

Reactions: Smittyp
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
No cracked piston skirts, everyone told me they would be cracked. i have over 4K miles boosted. 7800 miles total on machine. kinda frustrating spending the money on pistons and teardown when it wasnt really needed. oh well.
the scratches in the cylinders i'm sure is from when the stock JR air filter let some dust by,
it looks like some minor dust is still getting by but the whole intake track is clean no dust to be found. so i'm not sure what to make of that. i'll get a ball hone and hone the cylinder best i can, and put things together with new pistons.
View attachment 362598

View attachment 362597View attachment 362599View attachment 362600View attachment 362601^^^ this is the only one with a groove enough to feel with a finger nail. dispite some others looking much worse. View attachment 362602View attachment 362603View attachment 362604
What intake setup are you running on your turbo? I have the Jackson Turbo also. I was going to add their adaptor to a KWT pre-filter setup. But I didn't know if that was a good fix to the stock intake. Sorry I am off subject a bit but you mentioned dust in your intake. I have not done pistons yet.

Last edited:
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
What intake setup are you running on your turbo? I have the Jackson Turbo also. I was going to add their adaptor to a KTW pre-filter setup. But I didn't know if that was a good fix to the stock intake. Sorry I am off subject a bit but you mentioned dust in your intake. I have not done pistons yet.
When my engine was dusted i had a S&B hooked to the Jackson filter housing. serviced the filter as required. still had dust past the filter on the "clean" side of the intake track.
then i got a filter housing from a guy online named Chad. he owns a powersports place out east somewhere. it also let dust by, very fine dust here in AZ. So I found a Donaldson dual filter housing for tractor use and have been using that. i think it's where i change form 3" to 4" is where dust if getting through. unless the dust i'm finding on the the pistons is old. as the entire intake now is clean when wiped with a paper towel.

i still had good compression at 120PSI at 7K elevation where i live.

this is what i'm currently using. if you take this number and search in amazon it'll come up. B015YROISI
it's a slightly larger version of the filter housing the KraftWorks kit uses.

H

HondaTech

No cracked piston skirts, everyone told me they would be cracked. i have over 4K miles boosted. 7800 miles total on machine. kinda frustrating spending the money on pistons and teardown when it wasnt really needed. oh well.
the scratches in the cylinders i'm sure is from when the stock JR air filter let some dust by,
it looks like some minor dust is still getting by but the whole intake track is clean no dust to be found. so i'm not sure what to make of that. i'll get a ball hone and hone the cylinder best i can, and put things together with new pistons.
View attachment 362598

View attachment 362597View attachment 362599View attachment 362600View attachment 362601^^^ this is the only one with a groove enough to feel with a finger nail. dispite some others looking much worse. View attachment 362602View attachment 362603View attachment 362604

Pretty good for the miles
We cracked ours after just a few races on the JR kit. But one of them was a 10 hour endurance race and my GM isn't light on the skinny pedal.

H

HondaTech

IMG 1662

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can you explain why the bar stone vs ball? I’ve been told to use a ball hone because it’s Nikasil.

I was told that by sombody who knows alot more about these Honda engines than I do and has been inside a bunch of them.

Sombody also told me that the cylinders are not plated and that there is a thin sleeve pressed in. I honestly have no idea if this is true or false but it's what I was told.

Can you stick a small magnet on the cylinder wall to see if it sticks? I'm assuming Nikasil wouldn't be magnetic?

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
I was told that by sombody who knows alot more about these Honda engines than I do and has been inside a bunch of them.

Sombody also told me that the cylinders are not plated and that there is a thin sleeve pressed in. I honestly have no idea if this is true or false but it's what I was told.

Can you stick a small magnet on the cylinder wall to see if it sticks? I'm assuming Nikasil wouldn't be magnetic?
magnet sticks. but that doesn't mean it' not nikasil coated does it?

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Nikasil is slightly magnetic. I know the pioneer had a cast iron sleeve and sell oem over size pistons.

H

HondaTech

I dont believe the cylinders are plated. Our last set of cases had sleeves installed and bored to match the pistons.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Our last set of cases had sleeves installed and bored to match the pistons.

That's the route I'm going.

When my cylinders were measured after a single season of racing they were hourglass shaped and honing wasn't fixing it.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Pretty good for the miles
We cracked ours after just a few races on the JR kit. But one of them was a 10 hour endurance race and my GM isn't light on the skinny pedal.

Are you guys running the 12hr race in Texas in December?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ball hone is fine as long as ur just trying to get a cross hatch vs trying to true up a cylinder.

Most likely the cylinder is not true and would benefit from a stone hone. Ball hones just add to the problem.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Didn't even make it to the 9ft-lb torque spec was called for. was lucky enought to hear it snap and back it out without it being stuck in the head. yall see this often? i'm read of weak bolts in these but never seen one till now.

IMG 3678 Medium

• Wow
Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!