P1000m3 adding second winch

S

sureshot

Aug 9, 2016
Pittsfield IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am installing a second winch on my Honda Pioneer 1000EPS above the bed on roll bars and wanted some input on where to add a second battery under the seat or in front in extra battery compartment not sure how the wiring would work the best so any information with this would be great I don't know if anyone has done this on here or not I am new to this site like I said any advise on battery type or wiring type would be great

Reactions: ghost
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am installing a second winch on my Honda Pioneer 1000EPS above the bed on roll bars and wanted some input on where to add a second battery under the seat or in front in extra battery compartment not sure how the wiring would work the best so any information with this would be great I don't know if anyone has done this on here or not I am new to this site like I said any advise on battery type or wiring type would be great

Either way isn't too bad. If you place the second battery under the hood, you have a short run to connect the two batteries and can use a battery isolator to protect the oem battery. Also, you can use a battery "joiner" to connect the two batteries only during winching so your voltage doesn't drop.

On the other hand, you can put one large battery under the drivers seat like an Optima yellow top. This one battery would be enough for all accessories and winching but wouldn't give you a back up battery like the dual system does when used with an isolator. However, you can carry a small jump pack in the glove box for emergencies.
As for the wiring with the battery under the seat, nothing changes under the hood. Just run a large gauge wire to some remote terminals in place of the oem battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ghost
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
What he said ^^^
My second battery is under the hood. I would do it again.
I;m saving the under the seat area for something special - but I dont know what that is yet.

It would be great if post some pics of your second winch install.

Reactions: cwalton
S

sureshot

Aug 9, 2016
Pittsfield IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Either way isn't too bad. If you place the second battery under the hood, you have a short run to connect the two batteries and can use a battery isolator to protect the oem battery. Also, you can use a battery "joiner" to connect the two batteries only during winching so your voltage doesn't drop.

On the other hand, you can put one large battery under the drivers seat like an Optima yellow top. This one battery would be enough for all accessories and winching but wouldn't give you a back up battery like the dual system does when used with an isolator. However, you can carry a small jump pack in the glove box for emergencies.
As for the wiring with the battery under the seat, nothing changes under the hood. Just run a large gauge wire to some remote terminals in place of the oem battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks for the input ill have to give it some thought if I put it under the seat i just know ill wish i hadn't later

S

sureshot

Aug 9, 2016
Pittsfield IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What he said ^^^
My second battery is under the hood. I would do it again.
I;m saving the under the seat area for something special - but I dont know what that is yet.

It would be great if post some pics of your second winch install.
when I get it done I will post some pictures i am waiting on parts still

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!